Mahomes Contract is actually less than the Cowboys Offered Dak

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But your basing your thought on what you evaluate their talent level to be. Wentz and Goff are considered more talented than Dak by those outside of the Cowboy fans bubble.

And if Watson is offered a deal near Mahomes then it will because he’s considered near as talented. Which I don’t believe he is at this time but others might. Jackson is another who could end up closer to that higher level with Watson. I think both are valued more than Dak at this time.

I’m one who believes Dak talent level is in that lower 30 million range.

NFL.
NFL's highest paid quarterbacks (average salary per year):
  • 1. Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes: $45 million
  • 2. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
  • 3. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
  • 4.Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
  • 4. Rams QB Jared Goff: $33.5 million
  • 6. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $33 million
  • 7. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million
  • 8. Cowboys QB Dak Prescott: $$30.1 million
  • 0. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
  • 10. Titans QB Ryan Tannehill: $29.5 million

No I'm basing my opinion of his talent the same way the rest of the league is. Any rankings you see it will have Dark, Goff and Wentz all around the same....hell most of them have Goff behind Wentz and Dak....

I don't gauge these guys based on talent. I gauge them based on what they've shown me. And if Kirk Cousins has shown you he's a 33 million dollar player than Dak has shown he's worth more to me personally.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yea, Mahomes wouldn’t even have been offered an extension yet if he hadn’t won a SB and a MVP. It’s all about winning.
Sure is. And luck has a part in it. He threw 2 picks in the second half of that game. If the 49ers simply ran the ball then mahomes don’t get that deal. Or at least not as much.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Less as a percent of the salary cap over the period of the contract(s).
  • Mahomes' Contract
    • Mahomes new money is 450M over 10 years with the 10 years starting in 2022.
    • The NFL salary cap has increased on average 6.52 percent over the past 10 years.
    • Using the same 6.52 percent, the NFL cap projects to average 303.76M the 10 year period.
    • Mahomes 45M average is 14.8 percent the projected NFL cap.
  • Dak's Contract
    • A 5 year contract for Dak at 35M would be 16.4 percent of the projected cap.
    • If Dak's agent wants to use Mahomes' contract as a basis for a 5 year contract for Dak:
      • 33.5M over 5 years is the same 14.8 percent of the cap as Mahomes' contract.
Pat's agent tried to get his numbers tied to a % of the cap but the Chiefs refused.
The massive virtual guarantees are the offset of that fact.

You can't assume the cap will go up at a specific rate.
It will likely stagnate for 2-3 years in order to make up for lost revenue with COVID.

Again what Pat really got here was 400M in virtual guarantees 2 years before his rookie contract expired and a no trade clause for 12 years.
The 45M will be a definite value in 4/5 years imho but that's the upside of doing a "Tyron" deal and locking in essentially forever.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Was it not reported the deal they are offering now was the same deal Dak and his team wanted earlier in the season? Prior to the season?

Just like all the speculated reports of the "40 mil a year offers" there has been no confirmation with a direct quote from any of the 4 people actually involved in the negotiations about that offer. All of the exact money amounts and guaranteed money have all be nothing but speculated amounts without any direct confirmation through out this whole negotiations.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sure is. And luck has a part in it. He threw 2 picks in the second half of that game. If the 49ers simply ran the ball then mahomes don’t get that deal. Or at least not as much.
If Dak becomes MVP level or leads us to a championship then I open up the checkbook.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mahomes signed a fair deal for him but screwed the quarterbacks when it comes to future free agency. I don’t think any quarterback will get a deal close to Mahomes. Like I said before Dak would be crazy to turn down 100 million guaranteed. This year he banged up his shoulder. Who knows what the future holds. He will sign the contract.
100M GTD won't cut it.
Goff got 110 and Russ/Wentz 107.

Pat got 140 plus the virtual GTD up to 400M.

Dak will be looking at 110M GTD.

He can sit and do nothing and he's got 31.4M GTD already.
He could get that and hit free agency and get 110M next year.

Nothing has changed in that Dallas will have to buy the certainly of having their QB locked up long term after being in an enviable position for 4 years at mid round rookie rates.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Let's let the Washington Potato Skins pay that hefty contract.
So many factors. We have a lot of talent. Dak has had a great career stat wise compared to other QBs. Not sure if other QBs could have done the same or better or worse. We cut him loose and go with some one else and get worse. Dak goes some where else and lights it up. We have missed out on a franchise QB. They don’t grow on trees.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No I'm basing my opinion of his talent the same way the rest of the league is. Any rankings you see it will have Dark, Goff and Wentz all around the same....hell most of them have Goff behind Wentz and Dak....

I don't gauge these guys based on talent. I gauge them based on what they've shown me. And if Kirk Cousins has shown you he's a 33 million dollar player than Dak has shown he's worth more to me personally.
But I’m not really interested in what you think personally anymore than you are of my personal evaluations.

And I think unless you’ve won MVP or SB then talent level is critical. And where Dak comes up short compared to many of these others.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The entire point is nonsense.
Pat would have gotten his deal had they lost by 20.
He's the best young QB in the game and would have been paid accordingly.

All these well go win posts are stupid and insipid.

You negotiate when you have to negotiate.
If Dallas signs Dak to a 37AAV for 5 years and he goes out and wins MVP and a SB in the next couple seasons they aren't going to say our bad here's Pat money.
In 5 years when he is up then it will matter. BUT only if he is playing a high level.
If he goes out and wins 2 titles then tears up a knee and is mediocre for 2 years they won't be paying SB rates....

Contracts are always about the right now and the future.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If Dak becomes MVP level or leads us to a championship then I open up the checkbook.
He has the team around him to do it. Very few QB can put a team on his back and carry them. I hear some saying watch the games and you can see him doing it. Others say he can’t beat good teams. Guessing maybe another show me and prove it year goes by if he plays on the tag.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
100M GTD won't cut it.
Goff got 110 and Russ/Wentz 107.

Pat got 140 plus the virtual GTD up to 400M.

Dak will be looking at 110M GTD.

He can sit and do nothing and he's got 31.4M GTD already.
He could get that and hit free agency and get 110M next year.

Nothing has changed in that Dallas will have to buy the certainly of having their QB locked up long term after being in an enviable position for 4 years at mid round rookie rates.
I said 100 million+. Either way he would have to play well for two years to earn that money (I think he will). We are talking about playing 32+ games to get a contract that maybe gets him 10 million more total then he is probably being offered now because Mahomes just put a cap on his quarterback market. You take the offer, make commercials and sleep well at night because your offense is stacked. No matter what he will never make up that 30 million he lost last season.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He has the team around him to do it. Very few QB can put a team on his back and carry them. I hear some saying watch the games and you can see him doing it. Others say he can’t beat good teams. Guessing maybe another show me and prove it year goes by if he plays on the tag.
He's beaten Russell Wilson in a playoff game and won the 2nd most games at QB since entering the league.
People pretending he needs to do more are delusional.

Dallas isn't being asked to pay Pat Mahomes numbers but even if they were Pat had 2 years left on his rookie deal so it was far cheaper for the Chiefs.

Trying to make him prove it is how we got here.

Had Pat been a free agent there is almost no limit to his possible salary.
Teams would have paid him 50M AAV for sure in a total free agent situation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He's beaten Russell Wilson in a playoff game and won the 2nd most games at QB since entering the league.
People pretending he needs to do more are delusional.

Dallas isn't being asked to pay Pat Mahomes numbers but even if they were Pat had 2 years left on his rookie deal so it was far cheaper for the Chiefs.

Trying to make him prove it is how we got here.

Had Pat been a free agent there is almost no limit to his possible salary.
Teams would have paid him 50M AAV for sure in a total free agent situation.
His 4 year record as a QB just got our HC fired. For some reason he’s applauded for these last 4 years while others were bashed.

He needs to do more against the better and elite teams. 0-5 last year was horrid.

He went 5-3 his rookie season against winning teams. Since he’s 5-16

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I said 100 million+. Either way he would have to play well for two years to earn that money (I think he will). We are talking about playing 32+ games to get a contract that maybe gets him 10 million more total then he is probably being offered now because Mahomes just put a cap on his quarterback market. You take the offer, make commercials and sleep well at night because your offense is stacked. No matter what he will never make up that 30 million he lost last season.
sorta... reality is he plays exactly as he did last year and he is getting tagged again at 120% of 31.4M which is ~37.7M
That's 69M in two seasons for just being himself.
*The only real risk is major injury but he can insure himself for that occurrence and players usually do.
Every year he doesn't sign long term means another 110M in GTD money when he does.

So 2 tagged seasons and he signs after Watson/Lamar and who knows who all else and gets his 110 then for a total of 179M GTD.

Dallas has played this out and run out of road. Now it is incumbent upon them to get the deal done long term and reduce his yearly cap costs.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
His 4 year record as a QB just got our HC fired. For some reason he’s applauded for these last 4 years while others were bashed.
2nd most wins in the NFL by a QB since he was drafted.

Garrett was fired largely for his performance and lack of playoff success over 9 years where he had a soon to be Hall of Fame QB in his prime at his hire.
The only accolades JG ever really received were when Dak was a rookie and he won Coach of the Year.
The year prior to drafting Dak he went 4-12 with an injured Romo out.

Some tough luck got JG and Dak last year with his injury late in season but the team was listless most of the year even as they passed for a zillion yards and pout up lots of points, at some point JG would pay with his job. Dallas kept a fair amount of that offensive staff and replaced everything they could about the defense.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
sorta... reality is he plays exactly as he did last year and he is getting tagged again at 120% of 31.4M which is ~37.7M
That's 69M in two seasons for just being himself.
*The only real risk is major injury but he can insure himself for that occurrence and players usually do.
Every year he doesn't sign long term means another 110M in GTD money when he does.

So 2 tagged seasons and he signs after Watson/Lamar and who knows who all else and gets his 110 then for a total of 179M GTD.

Dallas has played this out and run out of road. Now it is incumbent upon them to get the deal done long term and reduce his yearly cap costs.
He’s not getting more money then Jackson or Watson. Jackson just won MVP and Watson is considered a top 5 quarterback that is 24 years old. Dak would need a team like the Vikings and the Jets to compete like they did for Cousins. I just don’t see a team offering more money, talent, and spotlight like the Cowboys. When he signed the tag he sent out a picture of himself with a Cowboys hat on. He is not going anywhere.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
2nd most wins in the NFL by a QB since he was drafted.

Garrett was fired largely for his performance and lack of playoff success over 9 years where he had a soon to be Hall of Fame QB in his prime at his hire.
The only accolades JG ever really received were when Dak was a rookie and he won Coach of the Year.
The year prior to drafting Dak he went 4-12 with an injured Romo out.

Some tough luck got JG and Dak last year with his injury late in season but the team was listless most of the year even as they passed for a zillion yards and pout up lots of points, at some point JG would pay with his job. Dallas kept a fair amount of that offensive staff and replaced everything they could about the defense.
Exactly. Garrett hurt one guys legacy and he was on his way to hurt Dak's legacy so he had to go. Its not like Garrett got fired prematurely it was long overdue.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He’s not getting more money then Jackson or Watson. Jackson just won MVP and Watson is considered a top 5 quarterback that is 24 years old. Dak would need a team like the Vikings and the Jets to compete like they did for Cousins. I just don’t see a team offering more money, talent, and spotlight like the Cowboys. When he signed the tag he sent out a picture of himself with a Cowboys hat on. He is not going anywhere.
Yep
I can’t imagine another team valuing Dak as much as Cowboys.

Everyone has seen how strong a supporting cast he needs . Most teams simply aren’t going to over invest in a QB that needs an EliteRB, WR and top OL to reach the limited success he’s had.