News: Mailbag: Willing To Trade Up For The Right Prospect? Free Agency Attitude?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Mailbag: Willing To Trade Up For The Right Prospect? Free Agency Attitude?
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...ing-trade-right-prospect-free-agency-attitude

Monday, February 19, 2018 10:12 AM CST
CHRISTOPHER LIMBOCKER

BOWLING GREEN, OH

Which prospect you would trade up the furthest to take, and how high are you willing to go to get him?

Bryan: Virginia Tech linebacker Tremaine Edmunds would be my guy. I love his size and play making ability. The fact that he could play all three spots is a plus. I believe you’d have to go somewhere between Cincinnati, Washington, Green Bay and Arizona to add him. Those are picks 12-15.

David: I don’t have any interest in trading up for Calvin Ridley, because this is a deep receiver class. If I was going to make that move, I think it’d be for Florida State safety Derwin James. I think he’s one of the handful of big-time defenders in this draft class, and he fits a need for the Cowboys. I’m not trying to mortgage my future in a trade, so I wouldn’t jump too far. But if James was sitting there at 15 or 16, I’d try to get a deal done to go get him.

ghst187

Reaction score
David: I don’t have any interest in trading up for Calvin Ridley, because this is a deep receiver class. If I was going to make that move, I think it’d be for Florida State safety Derwin James. I think he’s one of the handful of big-time defenders in this draft class, and he fits a need for the Cowboys. I’m not trying to mortgage my future in a trade, so I wouldn’t jump too far. But if James was sitting there at 15 or 16, I’d try to get a deal done to go get him.

Man agree with this 100%! If we can’t trade for Earl Thomas I’d trade up a decent amount to get James. I think he would be all that we wanted Byron Jones to be and more.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Man agree with this 100%! If we can’t trade for Earl Thomas I’d trade up a decent amount to get James. I think he would be all that we wanted Byron Jones to be and more.

Also agree 100%.

Man, if we can build off how darn good Lewis and Chido looked last year, add a stud safety like James while BJ continues to lock down TE's...

Will we have a nasty secondary? Gosh when is the last time we could say that?

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Most mocks have him going 17 or 18 so this would be perfect.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
If Vea or Derwin James is there at 19 who do u take? James is a better player but Vea is a good player at a position of need.

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
If Vea or Derwin James is there at 19 who do u take? James is a better player but Vea is a good player at a position of need.
Vea has been my pet cat this whole draft season so he'd get my vote. Unfortunately given the Cowboys tendency to undervalue the 1 tech I think they'd take James in that scenario. I'd be bummed but James is still a good player who'd help the defense.

I just think a pocket collapsing monster at the 1 tech changes the whole dynamic of the D-Line and defense.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CHRISTOPHER LIMBOCKER

BOWLING GREEN, OH

Which prospect you would trade up the furthest to take, and how high are you willing to go to get him?
What's up with folks wanting to trade up?

That's just a bad idea. Stay at 19.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Vea has been my pet cat this whole draft season so he'd get my vote. Unfortunately given the Cowboys tendency to undervalue the 1 tech I think they'd take James in that scenario. I'd be bummed but James is still a good player who'd help the defense.

I just think a pocket collapsing monster at the 1 tech changes the whole dynamic of the D-Line and defense.
That’s how I feel too.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m a big fan of taking the best player on your board in most cases. If you draft primarily by position need, you risk missing out on better talent simply because you only want talent at a certain position. It leads to a reach.

Perfect example of that was when we drafted Gavin Escobar in the 2nd round. We really “needed” a TE and after Tyler Eifert was taken, the FO felt they better grab one which led to overvaluing a guy.

Moving up can be dangerous unless it’s only 1-4 spots. If you are trying move up 5-15 or more spots in round one, you dang well better be getting what you project as a guaranteed consistent All Pro. The cost of moving up more than a few spots in 1st round is dangerous as perfectly illustrated by the Jerry dice roll on Mo Claiborne. Everyone thought Mo would be a really good player, but the price tag in draft picks to move up that far put the team behind the 8 ball.

Fortunately, our FO has learned s few things. (Too bad it took so long) They have drafted generally much better in recent years, but as long as the guy sitting in the “power chair” on draft day qualified for the position with his checkbook, I will have concerns about draft strategy.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Regarding free agency, I actually like that the team has gotten a little tighter with FA spending. Some of that has been dictated by little cap space.

To me, the most important free agent decisions should center around these guidelines:

1. Age- Ideally, you want guys starting their prime, say 24-28, depending on their position. Not guys at the end of their prime. (I have a yellow caution flag up on Earl Thomas- great player but at 29, his best days are probably in past. And he would certainly demand a high price)

2. Value- too many teams overpay for a guy at a position of need and base the pay on his past performance more than what they see in his future. This is a mistake that consistently great teams kike NE rarely make.

3. Fit- finding players that fit your scheme and how well they fit in with your team’s philosophy and culture is critical. The Greg Hardy signing was an example of a bad fit for tons of reasons, starting with his effect on the rest of the team’s young culture. Hardy had a disastrous influence on young guys at the time like D-Law and Randy Gregory. Hardy was a cancer in the locker room, and I will give Garrett credit for ensuring that loser was gone ASAP.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m a big fan of taking the best player on your board in most cases. If you draft primarily by position need, you risk missing out on better talent simply because you only want talent at a certain position. It leads to a reach.

Perfect example of that was when we drafted Gavin Escobar in the 2nd round. We really “needed” a TE and after Tyler Eifert was taken, the FO felt they better grab one which led to overvaluing a guy.

Moving up can be dangerous unless it’s only 1-4 spots. If you are trying move up 5-15 or more spots in round one, you dang well better be getting what you project as a guaranteed consistent All Pro. The cost of moving up more than a few spots in 1st round is dangerous as perfectly illustrated by the Jerry dice roll on Mo Claiborne. Everyone thought Mo would be a really good player, but the price tag in draft picks to move up that far put the team behind the 8 ball.

Fortunately, our FO has learned s few things. (Too bad it took so long) They have drafted generally much better in recent years, but as long as the guy sitting in the “power chair” on draft day qualified for the position with his checkbook, I will have concerns about draft strategy.

Escobar was not really a case of reaching for need because they didn't bypass higher rated players to draft him. They just missed on their evaluation of him. They were considering drafting TWill at that pick.

A great example of NOT drafting BPA was in 2009 when LeSean McCoy was available at the Cowboys 2nd round pick. They had a 1st round grade on him but passed. They ended up with next to nothing from that draft and the 2 RBs that were on the Roster (Felix and Barber) were out of the NFL not long after that draft.

Pants

Reaction score
I am a big fan of roquan smith , LB from GA. But I think there is little chance of him being around. (Projects around 10-12); NOT a fan of trade ups at all. Trade backs? Sure, if there is no one at 19 worth the grab. But honestly, if smith there around 16, hmmmmm

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What's up with folks wanting to trade up?

That's just a bad idea. Stay at 19.
Its not a bad idea just like trading down isnt a bad idea. Its all in who you trade up for and what you give.

People look at the Claiborne trade up and become dismissive. Look at 2010, we traded up TWICE in the first two rounds and got two All Pro caliber players.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Escobar was not really a case of reaching for need because they didn't bypass higher rated players to draft him. They just missed on their evaluation of him. They were considering drafting TWill at that pick.

A great example of NOT drafting BPA was in 2009 when LeSean McCoy was available at the Cowboys 2nd round pick. They had a 1st round grade on him but passed. They ended up with next to nothing from that draft and the 2 RBs that were on the Roster (Felix and Barber) were out of the NFL not long after that draft.
2009 is a great study in why being drafting for need and/or being conservative can be folly. Not only not drafting McCoy, but not being aggressive and moving up for Unger whom they targeted.

Instead of 1) Insuring you get the talent you covet ( Unger) or 2) Taking the best player on your board ( McCoy), you wind up with nothing.

Its also a great study in how trading down to acquire more picks can go wrong. People that blindly say we should move down for more pics should have a good look at how draft went down. You dont move down just because you want to aquire more picks. Thats how you get a dime and a nickle for a quarter

Sandyf

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wouldn't mind Edmunds especially since he is only 19 and trading up even to 12 would only cost a 3rd, so worth it from that point. The point for me is many real scouts have been saying there is only 8 to 12 true first round guys in this draft. If so and if Edmunds is one then it would be a smart move. Just wish we could see the Dallas draft board on day one to see how they ranked players.