Malcom Brown on the Trade Block

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Bet he refuses to report anywhere without an extension.

He's worth a heck of a lot more than 5M a year.
He's not worth more than that.

A guy who plays fewer than half of the team's snaps and doesn't provide any passrush isn't worth more than $5m.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I agree it is not a debate. I’ll take a Dalton or Winston plus 5 other good players. Minus Dak, I go from scoring 30 to scoring 24 ppg. But my defense with 4 good players added goes from 33 ppg to 21 ppg.
Well, you're wrong. Your approach is the best way to ensure that you will never beat good teams with any consistency.

Trying to win games 24-21 is exactly what Jason Garrett always tried to do. You're also not going to improve the defense that significantly, in terms of PPG, if you have terrible QB play.

There also aren't 5 good $5m players available, and you aren't saving nearly as much as your pretending on the cap.

Just absolutely nothing right with the thought or the logistics to this approach.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
This one makes sense. DT is the biggest need in the front seven, and Brown has the specific skill set they lack. The Cowboys have pulled off similar trades with Robert Quinn and Michael Bennett.

Carson

Reaction score
They’re letting Williams walk to be able to keep Lattimore and Ramstyck! Been talking about it ad naseum on Saints radio here in Louisiana for over a year!

Going to be interesting. I saw this posted earlier

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Well, you're wrong. Your approach is the best way to ensure that you will never beat good teams with any consistency.

Trying to win games 24-21 is exactly what Jason Garrett always tried to do. You're also not going to improve the defense that significantly, in terms of PPG, if you have terrible QB play.

There also aren't 5 good $5m players available, and you aren't saving nearly as much as your pretending on the cap.

Just absolutely nothing right with the thought or the logistics to this approach.

Makes more sense trying to win games on the right side 24-21 on average than your way of the wrong side of 30-33.

A Dak would be a cap hit of probably $28M first year of a monster contract. Dalton or Winston would be, say $7M. Leaves me with 4 players like Brown at $5M.

Hardline

Reaction score
Hook Em

brown_malcom_p1402nt.jpg

Rayman70

Reaction score
Malcolm brown next to Gallimore would be potentially dynamic. Hill and woods can be back ups.We could still also add McCoy and get him in the rotation. Brown just makes sense.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Makes more sense trying to win games on the right side 24-21 on average than your way of the wrong side of 30-33.

A Dak would be a cap hit of probably $28M first year of a monster contract. Dalton or Winston would be, say $7M. Leaves me with 4 players like Brown at $5M.
No, you are absolutely wrong in your approach. Good defenses do not stop good offenses from scoring more than 24. You're literally building an approach that will lose to the Chiefs every time - they have lost exaclty one game to an opponent who scored less than 31 points in the last two seasons. Your ceiling is the Ravens and Titans, who had no shot in the playoffs because they can't score.

LMAO at them signing to be a starter for $7m, and double triple LMAO at signing 4 good players at $5m. These guys don't exist. Your team would get absolutely murdered. Go show me 4 good FA starters who are going to make $5m.

It's not 1995. None of what your proposing makes any sense.

blueblood70

Reaction score
can we not post every player released lon thr main zone page.,..the DC are not a landing spot for every dang player released..when there actual FO press released they might sign one, then post it..

NO draft talk should also be no FA talk...

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
No, you are absolutely wrong in your approach. Good defenses do not stop good offenses from scoring more than 24. You're literally building an approach that will lose to the Chiefs every time - they have lost exaclty one game to an opponent who scored less than 31 points in the last two seasons. Your ceiling is the Ravens and Titans, who had no shot in the playoffs because they can't score.

LMAO at them signing to be a starter for $7m, and double triple LMAO at signing 4 good players at $5m. These guys don't exist. Your team would get absolutely murdered. Go show me 4 good FA starters who are going to make $5m.

It's not 1995. None of what your proposing makes any sense.

That is $5M cap hit on the first year. The contracts will be backloaded just like your Dak’s $40M will be backloaded so his cap hit is minimal the first year. Apples to apples. I can use Dak as $40M per year as an example and get Dalton at $10M (example) and have $30M left. That is 3 players at $10M each. Brown only costs $5M next year.

What do you think Dalton or Winston or Mariota or Fitzpatrick or Garappolo or Taylor or Brisett are signing for? I’m guessing around $5-10M.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
can we not post every player released lon thr main zone page.,..the DC are not a landing spot for every dang player released..when there actual FO press released they might sign one, then post it..

NO draft talk should also be no FA talk...

Well, then we would be left with nothing but Dak threads. Which would you prefer? Don’t complain.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Called this one.

A lot of decent veterans will be available for reasonable draft choices due to the salary cap this year. The Saints are projected to be something like $85M over.

This would be a good year for Stingy Stephen to finally utilize the "we can do whatever we need to with the salary cap" strategy he has (only) talked about.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That is $5M cap hit on the first year. The contracts will be backloaded just like your Dak’s $40M will be backloaded so his cap hit is minimal the first year. Apples to apples. I can use Dak as $40M per year as an example and get Dalton at $10M (example) and have $30M left. That is 3 players at $10M each. Brown only costs $5M next year.

What do you think Dalton or Winston or Mariota or Fitzpatrick or Garappolo or Taylor or Brisett are signing for? I’m guessing around $5-10M.
If they're signing as a starter it's up near $20.

But idk who these $5m players are, even with the cap manipulation, that's not what quality players cost. These 4 defensive - presumably starters - players who you get for $20m do not exist. Those who come in at that price range are not good players. Brown, for instance, is a rotational role player. You're basically saying that you'd trade Dak for Andy Dalton, Anthony Brown, Malcom Brown, Duron Harmon and Kyler Fackrell. Or you could do Jameis, Patrick Robinson, Shawn Williams and Denzel Perryman. Either way, your defense still sucks and now your quarterback sucks too lol.

At some point you need to do the leg work to understand what players actually make.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
If they're signing as a starter it's up near $20.

But idk who these $5m players are, even with the cap manipulation, that's not what quality players cost. These 4 defensive - presumably starters - players who you get for $20m do not exist. Those who come in at that price range are not good players. Brown, for instance, is a rotational role player. You're basically saying that you'd trade Dak for Andy Dalton, Anthony Brown, Malcom Brown, Duron Harmon and Kyler Fackrell. Or you could do Jameis, Patrick Robinson, Shawn Williams and Denzel Perryman. Either way, your defense still sucks and now your quarterback sucks too lol.

At some point you need to do the leg work to understand what players actually make.

You are crazy if you think Dalton, Winston, Mariota, Taylor, Fitzpatrick or Garappolo are getting $20M.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Well, then we would be left with nothing but Dak threads. Which would you prefer? Don’t complain.
neither , we will be forced to create some new things to discus..

however id rather discus the draft as it pertains to the DC not every FA vet release etc has zero to do with us..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Pay Dak $40M/year with no money left or pay Dalton or Winston much, much less and be able to add 4 or 5 players like Malcom Brown?
where is 4 or 5 players like Malcom brown? you just took one example and multiplied by 5 without any evidence of their availability...and will 4 or 5 malcolm browns equate to a top notch defense that can compensate for Dalton's craapy play. because we would need a ravenesque defense like they had with Dilfer to see any success.....

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You are crazy if you think Dalton, Winston, Mariota, Taylor, Fitzpatrick or Garappolo are getting $20M.
Well considering the fact that Garoppolo already is, Brissett did last year, and Bridgewater makes $21m no, not really. That's what starting quarterbacks who aren't on a rookie deal make, especially if you're going to sign one of those guys and pretend you aren't actually tanking.

But the QB cost thing is really besides the point, because your entire strategy is based on signing a bunch of players who do not exist.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Malcolm brown next to Gallimore would be potentially dynamic. Hill and woods can be back ups.We could still also add McCoy and get him in the rotation. Brown just makes sense.
I wasn't aware gallimore was that dynamic. what did he do to deserve such accolades, or is that he walked to the hallowed halls of cowboys facility and drank the kool aid they handed him and he became superman...he was average to below average at best. so lets not let imaginations run wild.