Maliek Collins on the verge of a breakout season

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This could be a dream for me. I've always wanted the Cowboys to have a DT that can cause havoc with sacks or tackles for loss.

This is the first offseason Collins has not been hurt. This guy is like a Tank. If he takes his offseason play into the regular season the defense will be better than last season.

Guys like Trysten Hill will learn alot from him. Just having that guy that can get to the QB from the middle of the line will make our defense very formidable. I hate that Quinn and gregory are suspended . The pressure they'd provide would make us almost overwhelming.

What do you guys think about Collins this offseason and how or if he will make an impact for this season?http://insidethestar.com/maliek-collins-on-the-verge-of-a-breakout-season/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BhAB&usg=AOvVaw0pDuUS_254NJ9Y36R8FxED&ampcf=1

Yep......going on his 3rd breakout season coming up.

Amazing how these guys actually have a breakout season in their contract year. When money is the motivator, they focus.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This could be a dream for me. I've always wanted the Cowboys to have a DT that can cause havoc with sacks or tackles for loss.

This is the first offseason Collins has not been hurt. This guy is like a Tank. If he takes his offseason play into the regular season the defense will be better than last season.

Guys like Trysten Hill will learn alot from him. Just having that guy that can get to the QB from the middle of the line will make our defense very formidable. I hate that Quinn and gregory are suspended . The pressure they'd provide would make us almost overwhelming.

What do you guys think about Collins this offseason and how or if he will make an impact for this season?http://insidethestar.com/maliek-collins-on-the-verge-of-a-breakout-season/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BhAB&usg=AOvVaw0pDuUS_254NJ9Y36R8FxED&ampcf=1
if he stays healthy and has a good season, we should want to keep him., but that means the end for Crawford. he can provide the salary cap to resign Collins. I doubt if Collins is going to be top 10ish, but if he provides pressure, about 5-7 sacks, good run stopping, its a DT you want to keep.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
When I read that his feet issue was related to footwear and now they have that figured out I was happy. Something like improper shoes wasn't anything I thought possible in the pros. So he shouldn't be fighting the health issue so much this year and finally get a chance to shine.

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Dont you think?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Actually there was an article about this. Shoe companies keep trying to make lighter athletic shoes which can help players run faster, but the problem is that they have less support which is why there are so many foot injuries these days.

exciter

Reaction score
I've said for the past 2 or 3 years that M.Collins is the most under-rated player on the team.
Yup! When you here opposing coaches (Tampa) come out after halftime a describe the interior pass rush as ferocious you think of him. People can't quantify the play without the sack numbers!

dallas72

Reaction score
Every year Colin's looks good in pre season..everyone says hes ageadt blablabla...in Regular season..hes MIA

Reactions: BAT

quickccc

Reaction score
What are talking about? Maliek has never came close to having a camp like this. Everyone that has seen him in camp says he's been the MVP of camp.

..and yes, we've heard his camp impressions before. .. regardless of what camp season is better than another.
Holla at me if he's at this level by seasons end.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually there was an article about this. Shoe companies keep trying to make lighter athletic shoes which can help players run faster, but the problem is that they have less support which is why there are so many foot injuries these days.

He has had a foot injury before/during training camp every year until this year.

2016 Broken Bone in right foot (May 2016, required surgery).
2017 Healthier in camp, nagging issue left foot during season (Surgery after season).
2018 Broken Bone in left foot (July 2018, required surgery).

My post from April:
There is much more to shoe fit than just the shoe size in regards to custom fit shoes.

Even without custom fitting, there a big variations between types/brands of shoes.

Also, cleats add additional issues because the placement of the cleats, especially the natural grass cleats, affects the weight distribution (pressure) on specific points of the foot.

A few of the parameters:
  • length (shoe size)
  • width
  • arch height
  • instep (height of the foot at the laces)
  • shape (wide toe area or narrow toe area)

This is from an article about pressure testing an NBA player with 3 different shoes.

1. The Jordan 2 had much lower pressures at the fifth metatarsal.
2. The Jordan 10 had much lower pressures at the fifth metatarsal, but for some reason, the Jordan 10s caused some dysfunction in his gait.
3. The Nike Air Max shoe increased pressures under his fifth metatarsals bilaterally and especially under the left foot.

1. Jordan 2
Williams1_1.png

2. Jordan 10
Williams2_1.png

3. Nike Air Max
Williams3.png

dimension2.png

dimension1.png

jnday

Reaction score
Ive been a fan of Collins for a while, and thought that he was on the verge of stardom after his teriffic rookie season, a season that was in fact more productive than Warren Sapp's rookie year. But the foot issues and position changes have stymied that development. If he stays healthy, I expect a big year and for him to be the biggest force the team has inside. But then he'll be highly sought after and too costly for the Cowboys to keep.
Collins biggest problem other than the injuries has been Rod Marinelli. Marinelli insist on playing Collins in the 1T position instead of the 3T where he has so much success. Marinelli refuses to get a player that is a natural 1T for some stupid reason.

Praxit

Reaction score
.... Gamblers fallacy, he could have a breakout season this year or the next. We hope this year. Were not getting younger here... ;)...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Collins biggest problem other than the injuries has been Rod Marinelli. Marinelli insist on playing Collins in the 1T position instead of the 3T where he has so much success. Marinelli refuses to get a player that is a natural 1T for some stupid reason.

And it's cost the team repeatedly. As it cost Collins time out of position. I won't miss that when Marinelli is gone.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He has had a foot injury before/during training camp every year until this year.

2016 Broken Bone in right foot (May 2016, required surgery).
2017 Healthier in camp, nagging issue left foot during season (Surgery after season).
2018 Broken Bone in left foot (July 2018, required surgery).

My post from April:
There is much more to shoe fit than just the shoe size in regards to custom fit shoes.

Even without custom fitting, there a big variations between types/brands of shoes.

Also, cleats add additional issues because the placement of the cleats, especially the natural grass cleats, affects the weight distribution (pressure) on specific points of the foot.

A few of the parameters:
  • length (shoe size)
  • width
  • arch height
  • instep (height of the foot at the laces)
  • shape (wide toe area or narrow toe area)

This is from an article about pressure testing an NBA player with 3 different shoes.

1. The Jordan 2 had much lower pressures at the fifth metatarsal.
2. The Jordan 10 had much lower pressures at the fifth metatarsal, but for some reason, the Jordan 10s caused some dysfunction in his gait.
3. The Nike Air Max shoe increased pressures under his fifth metatarsals bilaterally and especially under the left foot.

1. Jordan 2
Williams1_1.png

2. Jordan 10
Williams2_1.png

3. Nike Air Max
Williams3.png

dimension2.png

dimension1.png

Nice presentation there. I am aware of the foot issues. But it seems like the problem was NOT the shoe, but his odd shaped feet. I just find it hard to believe that all of a sudden with a specific shoe fit for him, it will all magically disappear. But you never know.

However, I still find it annoying that these guys can be all world in a contract year and other years, not so much.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

This whole 1T and 3T things is dumb in my opinion. Just get a couple of DT's that can stop the run AND rush the passer. Seriously. How many good DT's have we passed on that supposedly didn't fit his parameters?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice presentation there. I am aware of the foot issues. But it seems like the problem was NOT the shoe, but his odd shaped feet. I just find it hard to believe that all of a sudden with a specific shoe fit for him, it will all magically disappear. But you never know.

However, I still find it annoying that these guys can be all world in a contract year and other years, not so much.

He had legitimate injuries in all the other years.

He does not have one this year.

Players can't really control injuries relative to contract years...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He had legitimate injuries in all the other years.

He does not have one this year.

Players can't really control injuries relative to contract years...

so why doesn't he have an injury yet THIS year?

Maybe he told his trainer that he was in a contract year so that HAD to find a shoe that would perfect for him.

Stretching it? :muttley:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so why doesn't he have an injury yet THIS year?

Maybe he told his trainer that he was in a contract year so that HAD to find a shoe that would perfect for him.

Stretching it? :muttley:

He said he did a lot more of his training on sand.
- There is a video of him and some other working out on sand.

I think they've been through at least two iterations of shoe design.
- They made the comment that they think they've finally found the best solution.

I still wouldn't want to give him a big contract right now because he needs to go at least 1 season without a significant foot issue.

visionary

Reaction score

I’m tired of players ‘breaking out’ for 1 year and it just by total chance happens to be their contract year

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He said he did a lot more of his training on sand.
- There is a video of him and some other working out on sand.

I think they've been through at least two iterations of shoe design.
- They made the comment that they think they've finally found the best solution.

I still wouldn't want to give him a big contract right now because he needs to go at least 1 season without a significant foot issue.

He is a solid DT that is injury prone. Plus we just used a 2nd round pick on a DT.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Maliek Collins and the Collins hype train by year.

2016: struggled as a rookie, wasn't strong enough coming out of Nebraska (something I wrote about on the old site way back when). Broke his foot and missed time there, but put enough good games together at the end of the season to where he looked like a future starter at 3T. Besides, everyone else in the 2016 draft class kicked ***, why not him too.

2017: Hype train is rolling for his sophomore year. He hurt his foot, then was forced to play 1T by circumstance. Stephen Paea's injury and sudden retirement left us with Richard Ash as our only body at 1T, and David Irving was looking like a potential superstar at 3T. So we kicked Collins over a spot. Between his broken foot robbing him of power and playing at a position that worked against his strengths, he really, really sucked. Hype train is derailed.

2018: broke his foot again, but looked like a legit player later in the season. He had got stronger to where he wasn't a complete liability against the run, and developed a repertoire of moves to where he wasn't just winning and losing on shooting gaps. By now, he starts looking like a legit good player.

2019: Hype train is rolling again. Outcome is TBD.

I can get why people are skeptical of the Collins hype train, cause we've seen this before, but I don't get why people think he's just motivated by a contract year. But his development has been more influenced by circumstance and less by laziness or greed or crappy coaching. Like most 3rd rounders, he was a guy with things to work on coming out of college, and he just didn't put it together until now due to factors outside of his control.