Maliek Collins Year 3

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Tank is a top 5-7 player at his position and has had 25 sacks in the last two years. Sorry, I dont see the comparison with either player.
You don't see that Tank was not top 5-7 at his position until his 4th season?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Conditioning and health probably affected his play, but he got almost 50% snaps last year. Our DTs don't get much higher than 60% fully healthy.

Collins could have a lot more if he can stay healthy. But I don't see him getting the snaps this year unless he's extended, which they should think about if they think that Collins really does have a lot more.
I feel if he is healthy he will produce at a higher rate.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
He’s going to be like Hitchens. Nice but not amazing player that we let walk because you can’t afford everyone. I think his replacement for next year gets drafted this year

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
IMO Maliek is like Tank. The only thing that has really been able to slow the growth of the kid is injuries. I am expecting a break out season this year. Thoughts?

I think the expectations were more than they should have been after his rookie season. He had five sacks as a rookie, but if you went back and watched those sacks most of them came when he stunted and was unblocked.

He has good quickness for his size, but doesn't really play with a lot of power, so if he doesn't win with quickness, he normally doesn't win. Now, the injuries may be the main reason why his power hasn't been what he should.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I think the expectations were more than they should have been after his rookie season. He had five sacks as a rookie, but if you went back and watched those sacks most of them came when he stunted and was unblocked.

He has good quickness for his size, but doesn't really play with a lot of power, so if he doesn't win with quickness, he normally doesn't win. Now, the injuries may be the main reason why his power hasn't been what he should.
Honestly I think the only thing holding him back was injuries and having to play out of position. It's a contract year so we will see how it pans out. I would not be surprised if he had a problem year though especially with the addition of Quinn.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He’s going to be like Hitchens. Nice but not amazing player that we let walk because you can’t afford everyone. I think his replacement for next year gets drafted this year

I don't think this year. We could, but we don't be in a hurry. I see 10 guys on the dline already that we probably don't want to cut, with Gregory and late round scrounging still possibilities.

We could dump Covington and Hyder, but I Hyder looks like a steal to me. Big season in 2016 at DE.

tunahelper

Reaction score
IMO Maliek is like Tank. The only thing that has really been able to slow the growth of the kid is injuries. I am expecting a break out season this year. Thoughts?

I think he is OK, but he will never touch elite. We need an upgrade at the 3T, in order to have an elite defense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you don't like PFF look at the stats. Collins just didn't produce as well as other guys, and eyeballing snap count, his production per snap would make him look even worse.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2018.htm

Stats are not very good method of evaluating DTs.

However, comparing the top 3 for 2018 (. Collins, Crawford and Woods), in the playoffs Collins had better numbers in all the categories.

In the regular season he had the most Tackles for Loss and there was not a huge difference in the other categories on a per snap played basis.

Playoffs:
Tackles for Loss
TC 0
MC 2
AW 1

Solo Tackles
TC 2
MC 6
AW 4

QB Hits
TC 0
MC 1
AW 0

Sacks
TC 0
MC 1
AW 0

Total Tackles
TC 5
MC 10
AW 7

Regular Season:
Snaps Played
TC 632
MC 497
AW 583

Tackles for Loss (Per Snap Played)
TC 1 per 158 snaps
MC 1 per 99 snaps
AW 1 per 291 snaps

Solo Tackles (Per Snap Played)
TC 1 per 37
MC 1 per 41
AW 1 per 39

QB Hits (Per Snap Played)
TC 1 per 53
MC 1 per 62
AW 1 per 117

Sacks (Per Snap Played)
TC 1 per 114
MC 1 per 165
AW 1 per 389

Proof

Reaction score
I remember the off-season before last someone posted this video

And I was 100% sure Maliek was going to take the league by storm. :muttley:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You don't see that Tank was not top 5-7 at his position until his 4th season?

Tank has been that way for the last two seasons. Is this really this difficult? How about we just move on.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I remember the off-season before last someone posted this video

And I was 100% sure Maliek was going to take the league by storm. :muttley:

Yeah, I remember this. He was training as the 3-tech. Then both our 1-tech's went down and he had to beef up again and play that spot. Very similar to what Crawford has had to do.
Hope he has a injury free year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember this. He was training as the 3-tech. Then both our 1-tech's went down and he had to beef up again and play that spot. Very similar to what Crawford has had to do.
Hope he has a injury free year.

Word was that his recurring injuries were because of poor shoe fit.

Gotta love our coaching staff.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Word was that his recurring injuries were because of poor shoe fit.

Gotta love our coaching staff.

How old were you when you knew your own shoe size?
I'm just sayin', damn, these young athletes can't even figure out there shoe size!?!
We're gonna blame the coaching staff?

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So far nothing spectacular from him....seems average with a lot of injuries.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
How old were you when you knew your own shoe size?
I'm just sayin', damn, these young athletes can't even figure out there shoe size!?!
We're gonna blame the coaching staff?

Coaches are supposed to, you know, coach? Part of that is making sure players are using the proper equipment. Players should not be expected to be experts on proper equipment. These are not teenagers buying cool shoes at the mall. These are professional athletes at the highest level, on the most valuable sports franchise in the world.