Man Dak is limited

OldJarhead

Reaction score
I’ve seen all of those guys play minus Staubach. In regards to talent, arm strength, accuracy, mobility, pocket presence, Mahomes is better and it’s not even close. But if I had a choice between a 94 Young vs. Mahomes, I would probably take Young.

I can appreciate your view, but I think you are a bit blinded by the shiny new kid. Let's give the youngster a few more years before we anoint him the new GOAT.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
He made the key, difficult, clutch throws when the team needed it early doors to establish a crucial early lead.

Those throws did not require inspector gadget like arms to catch...

Tannehill made throws but so what? Every QB in the NFL can do that including backups.

He was not the reason why they won. He was nothing more than a bus driver. Just like everyone is saying that about Dak.

Yet people saying how great he is for being that bus driver. Go figure.

InTheZone

Reaction score
It's a lot of things.
Footwork, throwing off back foot, touch and accuracy on timing passes, a lot of those things were evident in year one and no one seemed to care much because the team won his rookie year.

Here we are in 4 years in and personally I've seen little (if any) improvement in footwork and mechanics. If improvement is shown, it's been minimal imo.
I still think he isn't seeing the field and the progressions as quickly as he should be at this point.

Seems to me, Dak's greatest strength is when he extends plays with his feet, play breaks down, someone busts open and he hits them downfield.
But that's a great strength to have as a backup plan when the play breaks down. That's a contingency plan.

Schoolyard ball is not a QB skill that you build an offense around. Sooner or later, you need to properly read and diagnose the defense pre snap, and be able to quickly and efficiently get the ball out on time and on target, in stride, to the correct guy. Does Dak do that once in a while? Yes. Does he do it consistently? Again, it's just my opinion, but no. Even some of the passes (many of the passes) he completes, there is meat left on the bone. Receiver is reaching behind, off stride, leaving valuable yards on the field because the ball was late, behind, etc. Others may see it differently. I get that. But to me, this is more the norm than an isolated incident. And after 4 full years as the unchallenged starter, I expect more from him in those areas. I haven't seen the gains that I'd like to see to make me comfortable going forward.

Especially at $35-40 million a year.

Go back to a comment someone made I think earlier in this thread--but you watch A Rod, Mahomes, etc. They literally cut up defenses. Good defenses. Playoff defenses. A Rod is doing it with a bunch of scabs. I mean, other than Davante Adams, his receiving corp is absolute garbage. Jimmy Graham is 33. Guy's only a couple years younger than Witten and a shadow of his former self. Geronimo Allison? Valdez Scantling? Etc? C'mon man.

People talk about "drops" on this website. That first quarter or two of the KC/Houston game yesterday, Mahomes guys couldn't catch a cold, much less a pass. They were down 24-0 early 2nd quarter. And still scored 51 points LOL. Yeah, he had a short field there on that kickoff fumble, I get it, but my point is--those guys are at another level.

Is it fair to expect Dak to be at that level? No, Probably not. I will grant you that. Those guys I mentioned are very unique talents. But I look at us going 8-8, and we scored 15 or less points in 4 games this year. With the talent we have on the offensive side of the ball, we had 4 games with 15 or less points. And we lost them all.

Mahomes? 2 full years as starter. You want to know how many times they've scored less than 20 in 2 years of his starts? One time. Once. That's it. In two years. Without anything close to a 1000 yard rusher in the fold. I will concede Kelce is a stud and Mahomes is fortunate to be working with him. But that goes both ways. Kelce's 2 years catching passes from Mahomes are the two best years of his career.

3 playoff starts for Mahomes, they've scored 31, 31, and 51. if they get shut out against Tennessee (which ain't gonna happen, LOL) KC will still be averaging 28 points a game in Mahomes 4 playoff starts.

And we play in the worst division in football and we miss the playoffs because we had 4 games this year with 15 or less points? With the talent we have on offense? Frankly, that kind of pisses me off.

Is that all Dak's fault. No, of course not. But he is the only guy (other than Frederick) who handles the ball on every single snap. He's the guy expected to facilitate, and be the engine. He's the guy demanding to be paid like a Ferrarri. And in 25% of our games this year (Dak's best year so far, statistically), our offense performed like a Yugo. That's the consistency issue I'm struggling with. After 4 years, with our talent, we should not be losing multiple games in a season (New Orleans, New England) where 14 points or more would have won it. Just shouldn't happen. You can't make that guy the highest paid player in league history and bank on him for your future. (in my opinion, you can't, I know and respect the fact that others disagree)

I get the idea that Mahomes don't grow on trees. I understand. But that's the perfect example for why you don't settle. The Chiefs had Alex Smith. Safe player. Took care of the ball. Smith's last year in KC (2017) --68% completions, 8.0 yards per attempt. 4100 yards. 26 TD. 5 INT. Compare that to Dak's 2019 (his best year ever): 65% completions, 8.2 yards per attempt. 4900 yards. 30 TD. 11 picks. Pretty close comparison there.
Smith better in completion percentage and interception avoidance. Dak better on yards. TD % virtually identical (Smith 5.1% throws were TD's, DAk 5.0% throws were TD)

Point being, those are pretty identical stat lines. And KC made the playoffs that year. They won their division at 10-6. They had a choice to make.

Do we settle for "good enough"? Or do we think we could do better.
We know what they chose. Will it work out the same for us? Will it work out worse? Dare I dream, better? Can't say for sure.

What I can tell you is, if we pay $35-40 million a year for a guy who statistically in his best season performed pretty similarly to Alex Smith, then we get what we deserve. Double down on what we have now, because we are afraid of the possibility "doing worse" isn't a recipe for greatness. It's a recipe for ensured mediocrity in my opinoin. And I can't abide by that.
should have a like for every view
giphy.gif

Swagger

Reaction score
Tannehill made throws but so what? Every QB in the NFL can do that including backups.

He was not the reason why they won. He was nothing more than a bus driver. Just like everyone is saying that about Dak.

Yet people saying how great he is for being that bus driver. Go figure.

Henry was obviously the main reason they won but Tannehill threw two dimes out of two for 14 points. Granted one took an amazing catch but it's overlooked at how good the throw was. If he didn't execute both throws then they don't get off to the runaway start and the Ravens may not have continued to be so out of sync and might have been able to mount a Chiefs style comeback.

I strongly disagree that every NFL QB in the league could have made those throws including backups.

We all saw first hand how Prescott missed countless, regulation easy throws to wide open receivers against the Eagles which ultimately cost us a play off spot.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Henry was obviously the main reason they won but Tannehill threw two dimes out of two for 14 points. Granted one took an amazing catch but it's overlooked at how good the throw was. If he didn't execute both throws then they don't get off to the runaway start and the Ravens may not have continued to be so out of sync and might have been able to mount a Chiefs style comeback.

I strongly disagree that every NFL QB in the league could have made those throws including backups.

We all saw first hand how Prescott missed countless, regulation easy throws to wide open receivers against the Eagles which ultimately cost us a play off spot.

And our receivers missed perfectly catchable passes that game. Some which hit them in the numbers.

I agree with you do, Dak needs to be more accurate. However, I like Dak's intangibles too. In fact, I think he's pretty good. Just he needs to work on some things in his game such as accuracy and back should fade passes.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Waiting Mahomes and now Russell Wilson just really opened my eyes. These guys are on another world compared to Dak. Kind of depressing
Mahomes is a 1 system QB. Reid has done this with every qb hes had. 1 read take off. 1 read get rid of it. and getting wrs open by design. IDK if people see this but when his passes are off theyre really off. But fans on this forum think only Dak throws them kinds of passed.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Mahomes is a 1 system QB. Reid has done this with every qb hes had. 1 read take off. 1 read get rid of it. and getting wrs open by design. IDK if people see this but when his passes are off theyre really off. But fans on this forum think only Dak throws them kinds of passed.
Mahommes is the best QB that Reid has ever had. The dude is extremely talented and makes countless big plays.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OP doesn’t know what he’s watching, I think.

InTheZone

Reaction score
there were more passes hit in stride than "off passes". With Dak we're lucky to have less off passes...and we have the luxury of having a QB throwing it whenever leaving the WR to get killed by the defender. Has Dak ever actually protected a receiver with a throw? You can't have a game like Mahomes had and be "really off". smh

Nexx

Reaction score
It's a lot of things.
Footwork, throwing off back foot, touch and accuracy on timing passes, a lot of those things were evident in year one and no one seemed to care much because the team won his rookie year.

Here we are in 4 years in and personally I've seen little (if any) improvement in footwork and mechanics. If improvement is shown, it's been minimal imo.
I still think he isn't seeing the field and the progressions as quickly as he should be at this point.

Seems to me, Dak's greatest strength is when he extends plays with his feet, play breaks down, someone busts open and he hits them downfield.
But that's a great strength to have as a backup plan when the play breaks down. That's a contingency plan.

Schoolyard ball is not a QB skill that you build an offense around. Sooner or later, you need to properly read and diagnose the defense pre snap, and be able to quickly and efficiently get the ball out on time and on target, in stride, to the correct guy. Does Dak do that once in a while? Yes. Does he do it consistently? Again, it's just my opinion, but no. Even some of the passes (many of the passes) he completes, there is meat left on the bone. Receiver is reaching behind, off stride, leaving valuable yards on the field because the ball was late, behind, etc. Others may see it differently. I get that. But to me, this is more the norm than an isolated incident. And after 4 full years as the unchallenged starter, I expect more from him in those areas. I haven't seen the gains that I'd like to see to make me comfortable going forward.

Especially at $35-40 million a year.

Go back to a comment someone made I think earlier in this thread--but you watch A Rod, Mahomes, etc. They literally cut up defenses. Good defenses. Playoff defenses. A Rod is doing it with a bunch of scabs. I mean, other than Davante Adams, his receiving corp is absolute garbage. Jimmy Graham is 33. Guy's only a couple years younger than Witten and a shadow of his former self. Geronimo Allison? Valdez Scantling? Etc? C'mon man.

People talk about "drops" on this website. That first quarter or two of the KC/Houston game yesterday, Mahomes guys couldn't catch a cold, much less a pass. They were down 24-0 early 2nd quarter. And still scored 51 points LOL. Yeah, he had a short field there on that kickoff fumble, I get it, but my point is--those guys are at another level.

Is it fair to expect Dak to be at that level? No, Probably not. I will grant you that. Those guys I mentioned are very unique talents. But I look at us going 8-8, and we scored 15 or less points in 4 games this year. With the talent we have on the offensive side of the ball, we had 4 games with 15 or less points. And we lost them all.

Mahomes? 2 full years as starter. You want to know how many times they've scored less than 20 in 2 years of his starts? One time. Once. That's it. In two years. Without anything close to a 1000 yard rusher in the fold. I will concede Kelce is a stud and Mahomes is fortunate to be working with him. But that goes both ways. Kelce's 2 years catching passes from Mahomes are the two best years of his career.

3 playoff starts for Mahomes, they've scored 31, 31, and 51. if they get shut out against Tennessee (which ain't gonna happen, LOL) KC will still be averaging 28 points a game in Mahomes 4 playoff starts.

And we play in the worst division in football and we miss the playoffs because we had 4 games this year with 15 or less points? With the talent we have on offense? Frankly, that kind of pisses me off.

Is that all Dak's fault. No, of course not. But he is the only guy (other than Frederick) who handles the ball on every single snap. He's the guy expected to facilitate, and be the engine. He's the guy demanding to be paid like a Ferrarri. And in 25% of our games this year (Dak's best year so far, statistically), our offense performed like a Yugo. That's the consistency issue I'm struggling with. After 4 years, with our talent, we should not be losing multiple games in a season (New Orleans, New England) where 14 points or more would have won it. Just shouldn't happen. You can't make that guy the highest paid player in league history and bank on him for your future. (in my opinion, you can't, I know and respect the fact that others disagree)

I get the idea that Mahomes don't grow on trees. I understand. But that's the perfect example for why you don't settle. The Chiefs had Alex Smith. Safe player. Took care of the ball. Smith's last year in KC (2017) --68% completions, 8.0 yards per attempt. 4100 yards. 26 TD. 5 INT. Compare that to Dak's 2019 (his best year ever): 65% completions, 8.2 yards per attempt. 4900 yards. 30 TD. 11 picks. Pretty close comparison there.
Smith better in completion percentage and interception avoidance. Dak better on yards. TD % virtually identical (Smith 5.1% throws were TD's, DAk 5.0% throws were TD)

Point being, those are pretty identical stat lines. And KC made the playoffs that year. They won their division at 10-6. They had a choice to make.

Do we settle for "good enough"? Or do we think we could do better.
We know what they chose. Will it work out the same for us? Will it work out worse? Dare I dream, better? Can't say for sure.

What I can tell you is, if we pay $35-40 million a year for a guy who statistically in his best season performed pretty similarly to Alex Smith, then we get what we deserve. Double down on what we have now, because we are afraid of the possibility "doing worse" isn't a recipe for greatness. It's a recipe for ensured mediocrity in my opinoin. And I can't abide by that.

Thank you for saving me from writing exactly what you wrote. My sentiments are 100% with you.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you for saving me from writing exactly what you wrote. My sentiments are 100% with you.

I'll second that. BFL hit it right on the money, imo.

Dak has SOME skills. But are they the rights ones we need to have an efficient consistent machine of an offense? As BFL said...just from the eye (put aside stats which could be misleading)...he might lack some critical ones.