CFZ Managing the QB or Playing with Aggression

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Over the last four weeks, and perhaps five, this board has run the gamut of emotions about the Cowboys. Mostly over the QB position. Results have been astonishing, but what caused this month long run of wins? This, I believe is the point of my comments and questions.

Dallas has changed their style of offense over the past month. Prior to the season it was mentioned they wanted to run more. Like every year, most fans here took that with a grain of salt. Yet, the team is running more.

But why?

Is it because they understand the limitations of Rush, taking the game away from him in a sense? Or is this team truly a running machine?

Looking at this seasons stats for Rush, he has not thrown for over 235 yards in any contest. This past week he was limited to 102. In four games - I am leaving off the mop up with the Bucs since he was not included in the game plan - Rush has thrown for 775. Or 193.75 yards per game.

I look over the schedule and believe the coaching staff is limiting his exposure to mistakes. While he did beat both Super Bowl teams from last year, I am not convinced those teams are the same as when they went to the big game.

I recently learned Parcels told Tony Kornheiser someone determining the capability of a team from one year to the next, or player, needs to forget what last year offered. Taking that into consideration, which is a similar outlook to "you are what your win/loss record indicates." Both of those teams are 2-3.

So, the point of this thread is this. Dak will be coming back. While there are those who believe Rush needs to stay at the helm, it appears all the former players who now are analysts clearly state Dak is far better than Rush. I discount people like SAS and Bayless as buffoons who take a position to stir up interest in their product.

If you are ready to tell me I am full of beans, then you argue with the former players. I am merely bringing the information for discussion.

With Dak coming back, will this team open up the offense and play with more aggression? Or will they stick with this dink and dunk and rely on the defense to win games?

I think the offense needs a wide receiver with speed to threaten deep if they choose to go balls out and play an aggressive style. If they stay with what they have, I'm not certain they have the talent to achieve that style.

But then here is the problem with playing it safe. The teams who can stop the run will load up, and this puts pressure on the defense to win because the offense just can't put up the numbers.

My opinion is this will be the problem with the Eagles game coming up. Rush cannot match a team point for point in a shootout. I'm certain there will be pushback on these thoughts, but all the analytics suggest the coaches have been keeping it close to the vest with the Ginger Avenger, and will want to incorporate a more aggressive passing attack when Dak gets back.

Save your breath with the lecture on Dak being useless. This is not about that. It is about the coaching staff and how they will play this game after Dak's return.

Get a player like Beckham who can actually stretch a defense and catch the ball, and this could be a balanced team that runs, but has the ability to score from anywhere on the field. Do not add that piece and this may devolve into stop the run and lets see what your limited QB and WR's can do.

We have seen that results before.

Long post. My apologies. But this is something that requires a bit of thinking. And explanation as to what the future will bring in the way the team game plans.

One last point. The addition of Tyron Smith could move 73 to guard and then this line becomes real meat eaters. Adding Dak to this mix kind of makes this offense a race car, of sorts. How long will Kellen Moore sit back and play a ground game with the protection and passing ability this team would them possess?

And is that the smart way to do it?

Aven8

Reaction score
I think they are committed to the running game because they know they don’t have the horses at WR to pull it off.

Rush proved last year he can throw the ball with his one game at Minny where he threw for over 300.

I think in the offseason they made a commitment to be more like SF and wanted to be physical, hence the running game commitment. It’s a proven winning formula. Game manager that can make plays at QB, run the ball, and play suffocating defense.

Dak is clearly the more talented QB here. But having said that they need to put the reigns on him with audibles and Moore needs to not try and get pass happy. Play it like 2016 Dak and this thing can go all the way.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Any QB who is not elite needs to be managed to some degree ......

I think said degree should be modified on how he is playing ...... If a QB keeps checking out of a play call and failing ..... His ability to check out of said play call should be taken away for the time being.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I know they won't listen to me, but I advise them to keep running. The o line finds the holes now for Zeke and Tony now, the ol' "run into the wall for 3 on 3rd and 7" days seem to be over.

We have to be fair here. Dak should get the same favours from Kellen, don't put all the load on him. But I do expect Dak to make more of what is left compared to Rush. Only 3 Points against a contender are inexcusable, no matter how big the odds are.

jrumann59

Reaction score
There is a time to be aggressive, you bide your time. As cliche as it sounds do something until they stop it, if they will let you get 4-5 yards a carry keep going and then when they start bringing the 8th man into the box you go for the killshot

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Save your breath with the lecture on Dak being useless. This is not about that. It is about the coaching staff and how they will play this game after Dak's return.

Get a player like Beckham who can actually stretch a defense and catch the ball, and this could be a balanced team that runs, but has the ability to score from anywhere on the field. Do not add that piece and this may devolve into stop the run and lets see what your limited QB and WR's can do.
:lmao: OBJ would play one game and call Dak out in the media. High throws wide and outside. Late helicopters. Please. Dak and MM cant handle a player like that. Neither is good enough.
Go ahead and add OBJ so he can finish off the mental midget Statscott's career.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Over the last four weeks, and perhaps five, this board has run the gamut of emotions about the Cowboys. Mostly over the QB position. Results have been astonishing, but what caused this month long run of wins? This, I believe is the point of my comments and questions.

Dallas has changed their style of offense over the past month. Prior to the season it was mentioned they wanted to run more. Like every year, most fans here took that with a grain of salt. Yet, the team is running more.

But why?

Is it because they understand the limitations of Rush, taking the game away from him in a sense? Or is this team truly a running machine?

Looking at this seasons stats for Rush, he has not thrown for over 235 yards in any contest. This past week he was limited to 102. In four games - I am leaving off the mop up with the Bucs since he was not included in the game plan - Rush has thrown for 775. Or 193.75 yards per game.

I look over the schedule and believe the coaching staff is limiting his exposure to mistakes. While he did beat both Super Bowl teams from last year, I am not convinced those teams are the same as when they went to the big game.

I recently learned Parcels told Tony Kornheiser someone determining the capability of a team from one year to the next, or player, needs to forget what last year offered. Taking that into consideration, which is a similar outlook to "you are what your win/loss record indicates." Both of those teams are 2-3.

So, the point of this thread is this. Dak will be coming back. While there are those who believe Rush needs to stay at the helm, it appears all the former players who now are analysts clearly state Dak is far better than Rush. I discount people like SAS and Bayless as buffoons who take a position to stir up interest in their product.

If you are ready to tell me I am full of beans, then you argue with the former players. I am merely bringing the information for discussion.

With Dak coming back, will this team open up the offense and play with more aggression? Or will they stick with this dink and dunk and rely on the defense to win games?

I think the offense needs a wide receiver with speed to threaten deep if they choose to go balls out and play an aggressive style. If they stay with what they have, I'm not certain they have the talent to achieve that style.

But then here is the problem with playing it safe. The teams who can stop the run will load up, and this puts pressure on the defense to win because the offense just can't put up the numbers.

My opinion is this will be the problem with the Eagles game coming up. Rush cannot match a team point for point in a shootout. I'm certain there will be pushback on these thoughts, but all the analytics suggest the coaches have been keeping it close to the vest with the Ginger Avenger, and will want to incorporate a more aggressive passing attack when Dak gets back.

Long post. My apologies. But this is something that requires a bit of thinking. And explanation as to what the future will bring in the way the team game plans.

One last point. The addition of Tyron Smith could move 73 to guard and then this line becomes real meat eaters. Adding Dak to this mix kind of makes this offense a race car, of sorts. How long will Kellen Moore sit back and play a ground game with the protection and passing ability this team would them possess?

that easy stay the course , play a similar gameplan UNTIL you NEED it. go back and look at last years 7-1 stat that 6-0 run was this very type of Gameplan. it worked, they got away from it maybe OL/RB injuries etc other factors changed Moores designs.

this is why daks better Daks floor is Rushes ceiling, daks ceiling is higher and hes proven if you need a toe-to-toe high scoring games, ,hes done this., far too much as he hasnt got this support from defense, sts, OL and coaching in the biggest of games. Game 1 perfect example,

weaknesses going in,
Pass game no way our New lT and LG should be put up against that DL and DC in pas happy offense
WRs-beigest area of concern sure why not open up with crazy pays and 3-4 WR sets

strengths

run game, OL like run vs pass especially with little offseason and live game action together as an offense.

zeke 8 carries at 5.2 YPC first half its a working, 2 carries in the 2nd half. the Constant covered WRs were forced the ball, dropped the ball, the punts and top starting cracking the run d, tired etc etc.

Balance is the key until you are forced out of it.

this is on MOORE

has MM reeled him in after game 1 is this his doing, is he in fact influeing gamepolkans and play calls inthe shopdoiws?

either way we have the personall to run either offsne but shouild use this slimmed down version until we need to pen it up.

Smith22

Reaction score

But why?

Great post. I agree 100% that the offense needs a deep threat WR to help open things up. It could also use a young RB with the ability to take the ball to the house and also possess consistent pass blocking ability.

I also think the coaching staff sees what many fans see, Rush has limitations with his arm strength. His strength comes in his intellect and knowing the offense.

If the coaching staff had the slightest feeling that Rush was a future starter in this league, they wouldn't have cut him and left him available to every other NFL team.

JayFord

Reaction score
there is no need for Rush to be aggressive.....theres really no need when Dak comes back to be aggressive with playcalling....you can be more aggressive yes but that 50 times throwing thr ball needs to be done

run the ball.....let Dak throw it 20-30 times and i bet you he'll get 4 tds off playaction alone