Marcus spears on w/norm at 10:30 to talk dysfunction

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
While this is true, many other teams that have competed in the playoffs were also a product of high offensive firepower and little to no defense.

I think JJ bought into what the league was trying to do and attempted to mimic it, resulting in our subpar DL.

At the start of the season though we did have a pretty solid DL setup.

Ratliff/Spencer/Bass/Crawford were all supposed to play...

Now the Jeff Heath thing baffles me, as well as BW getting playing time.

But in the end, I think we were on the wrong end of a few coin tosses that would of made or broken us. The year we lost to the Vikes, I believed that we would of beaten most of the rest of those playoff teams.

IDK, Ratliff hadn't played in >a year and was showing massive wear. Bass and Crawford were unknowns at best and Spencer should have been replaced in a prior draft saving the $10M (to use elsewhere). We released Will Allen (no world beater grant you) but keeping Wilcox and Heath to pair with slow (coming off an achilles ) Church is asking for miracles rather than planning for a serviceable option.

I believe this team is closer to 6-10 than 10-6. The LBs cant stay healthy, the DL cant stay healthy so you probably need 5 positions there. Church may be serviceable, but Heath, Wilcox and Johnson are likely not going to make a major leap this offseason. I think you need at least 1 Great safety (Id rather have 2 great safeties than 2 great CBs). We have 0

The Oline still needs 2-3 positions (2OGs, OT that can take Free's spot).

The whole 2 TE set that we waste picks on for the last 5-7 years is not working. TWill showed early promise but hit the wall. So maybe another WR?

All the while, the league is progressing and we continue to never find innovation

Tawney88

Reaction score
The players that he has signed have performed very well for the most part in most games. With the exceptions of choking in crucial moments.

Like I said he gets in his own way with the culture of the team.
With that being said, he is not the sole reason for the lack for success which is the reason for the post.

It wasn't Jerry's fault that the last 2 seasons our defense was beyond decimated.

Going into the year we had a quite a rock solid lineup of players.

I will not blame the defense upon Jerry except for the Rob Ryan firing.

If the defense holds up this past season we would of had 3 more wins easily. Sorry but it is true, and then everyone wouldn't be bashing Jerry nearly as much.

You're wrong Jerry is the issue with this franchise. Everything else is a symptom. He fired Ryan, and he hired Kiffen. He failed to use resources on the line. He failed to select any dlineman in the draft instead drafted another TE. Everything else is a symptom of the Jerry Jones disease that plagues this franchise.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
IDK, Ratliff hadn't played in >a year and was showing massive wear. Bass and Crawford were unknowns at best and Spencer should have been replaced in a prior draft saving the $10M (to use elsewhere). We released Will Allen (no world beater grant you) but keeping Wilcox and Heath to pair with slow (coming off an achilles ) Church is asking for miracles rather than planning for a serviceable option.

I believe this team is closer to 6-10 than 10-6. The LBs cant stay healthy, the DL cant stay healthy so you probably need 5 positions there. Church may be serviceable, but Heath, Wilcox and Johnson are likely not going to make a major leap this offseason. I think you need at least 1 Great safety (Id rather have 2 great safeties than 2 great CBs). We have 0

The Oline still needs 2-3 positions (2OGs, OT that can take Free's spot).

The whole 2 TE set that we waste picks on for the last 5-7 years is not working. TWill showed early promise but hit the wall. So maybe another WR?

All the while, the league is progressing and we continue to never find innovation

There was some question to the line but it still looked pretty solid and alot of people were relatively hyped. It was hard to predict Spencer's injury and Ratliff doing what Ratliff does.

The 19 rotational players didn't exactly help either. But I do believe we got solid depth out of a few of them. If the starting lineup we thought we would of had actually played, I thought we would of done well.

4-3 needs a pass rush to be effective, or we just get eaten up which we did.

I like Wilcox and I thought he showed alot of promise, I never understood why Heath got so much playing time when Wilcox was ready to come back.

Jerry and CO fixed the O-Line last year, hopefully DL gets improved. I personally would just let Rod draft 2-3 DL players of his choosing.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Hey, now. I hold my bucks. I'm not responsible for whatever debate you might have had with another poster. That's not my buck to hang onto.
I'm not referring to a debate with another poster. I just think it's funny this thread got moved from the main forum with all the traffic because some thought the jerry debate was "boring." That's clearly an attempt to stifle the discussion. I didn't say you were trying to do that, and I believe you when you say you didn't move it. But that's not really the point.

I think Jerry's loyalty is a good quality. I think his business acumen is beyond question. I like how he spends money on the roster. I love stories like him giving up his corporate plane to Frank Luksa so he could see his dying mother. I like the story of Jerry telling a young lady who felt she was getting taken advantage of re: season ticket pricing 'honey, if I were [taking advantage of you], you'd know it." In short, he's a character, and he's not without his charm and his good points.

But, overall, I think he's a hurdle the team has to work around, and I think he's limiting our organization right now. I think his open door policy for the players is not healthy. I think his willingness to gamble hurts in a league where the key is to avoid mistakes and to limit risks.
You don't have anything to say about him taking offensive playcalling way from the head coach or imposing coordinators on head coaches?

What you've claimed Jerry's good at really have nothing to do with what are considered typical duties of an NFL GM. Those are things an owner needs... loyalty? I could care less if a GM is loyal. His sole responsibility should be getting the best players in here, not being "loyal" to players who shouldn't be here. Business acumen? Maybe it would be a plus for the GM to have some business acumen, but I'm really more concerned with the basic skill of putting together a roster.

And really that's what this entire thread is about. He may be a great guy. But as a GM, he's lousy, which infects all analysis on his other titles. If he were such a good owner/president, he wouldn't put up having with a crappy GM. Since he's more concerned with stroking his ego and "getting credit" for any future success, he won't make the necessary changes to the GM position.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not referring to a debate with another poster. I just think it's funny this thread got moved from the main forum with all the traffic because some thought the jerry debate was "boring." That's clearly an attempt to stifle the discussion. I didn't say you were trying to do that, and I believe you when you say you didn't move it. But that's not really the point.

You don't have anything to say about him taking offensive playcalling way from the head coach or imposing coordinators on head coaches?

What you've claimed Jerry's good at really have nothing to do with what are considered typical duties of an NFL GM. Those are things an owner needs... loyalty? I could care less if a GM is loyal. His sole responsibility should be getting the best players in here, not being "loyal" to players who shouldn't be here. Business acumen? Maybe it would be a plus for the GM to have some business acumen, but I'm really more concerned with the basic skill of putting together a roster.

And really that's what this entire thread is about. He may be a great guy. But as a GM, he's lousy, which infects all analysis on his other titles. If he were such a good owner/president, he wouldn't put up having with a crappy GM. Since he's more concerned with stroking his ego and "getting credit" for any future success, he won't make the necessary changes to the GM position.

Yeah, I don't consider Jerry a good GM. The things he's best at are either personal or ownership duties. I was brief on his shortcomings as a GM only because I'm on my phone. :)

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I thought Marcus Spears was real and honest. He didn't really try to throw anyone under the bus, he just said what he felt.