Marinelli/Eberflus Defense too predictable

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I would rather Nolan have that responsibility, he has worked with the players and knows their flaws, it should be up to him and McCarthy to decide who they want to bring in. I believe we ride this out.

not up to either.

Jerry is GM.

coaches coach.

GMs hire and fire.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
One of the issues here is that people try to make this an either/or situation......... either it's the players or Nolan. The defensive flaws are likely attributable to both, which is why I advocate a gutting of the defensive personnel and having a new DC having the input on player acquisition that Nolan will likely have this offseason if he stays.

Nolan had the worst defense in 2014 at Atlanta. Got fired.

now we have to worst defense in 2020.

at least we were warned.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
And i wouldn't argue much if the Cowboys moved on. Honestly if the season ended today id say its too little too late, but with games still on the schedule i think its premature to make up your mind with how they have come on recently.

This team still has a reasonable chance of making the post season. If we see this defense hold Tampa to 20 points and a couple turnovers do we have a different conversation? I'd agree that that is a bit of a longshot, but stranger things have happened.

we have the worst defense in the NFL.

At least we have room for improvement.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Been said on this board a number of times 'he hasn't been a DC for a long time' ' he only got the job because of MM' He certainly made the right calls in the Eagles game with the use of Wilson, moving Lewis to Safety to give a couple of examples. Apart from Atlanta where he had little to work with, he has produced top 15 Defenses at nearly all his stops.

hes been a disaster.

we don’t deserve it.

Fire Nolan.

problem fixed.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Don’t drink the cool aid. Nolan needs to go...

I agree.

The Dallas Cowboys are full of issues on defense. Their cornerbacks are reeling. Their safeties are bad. Their linebackers are more liability than asset. And their defensive tackles can’t hold their ground, let alone display basic gap discipline. They get washed every play and it’s having a trickle-down effect on every layer of the defense.

Adding a solid 2-gap tackle like Snacks would do wonders. The linebackers wouldn’t take so many blocks and be able to run a little more freely. The safeties wouldn’t feel obligated to cheat forward and could actually concentrate on playing safety. Even the ends (arguably the only good defensive unit in Dallas) stand to gain because they won’t feel obligated to crash inside and bite on read-option plays (like we saw last week against Hurts).

The way the Dallas Cowboys are constructed now, it’s crazy to think they could do anything should they make the playoffs. The Bucs would run all over them and dominate in the most embarrassingly futile contest imaginable.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Terrible DT play. I was 100% fire mike Nolan a few weeks back, but I’m keeping the door open now. He’s adapted pretty well given the holes on defense.
DT was *already* a week spot *before* the injuries.

We brought in McCoy and Poe. Looked like credible starters. McCoy broke, and Poe Stunk. Hill was at least not horrible at times, then he broke too.

Our best DT left, AWoods, was on the bubble to be cut before McCoy went down. We've really got next to nothing at DT now, particularly at 3T.

I don't think the LBs are that serviceable, at least in this scheme. Something is wrong. They just *often* look confused. Jaylon has his own problems from physical limitations, but they *all* look that way. Something in the scheme ain't right.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
My question is if Nolan isn't the guy, do you continue with a multiple scheme or not? I think it is a mistake not to

Gotta have all the tools in your toolkit. Thinking that one scheme will beat everything an offense can throw at you isn't viable anymore.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
But look at the alignment and gaps..

Stopping the run is usually just playing good assignment football and effort.

You shouldn’t have to make huge investments to stop a run game at this level.

If the linebacker can't get to the gap because he has an offensive linemen on top of him, it makes it kind of tough to stop the run. In some schemes, the linebackers are sent to attack the gap immediately, which allows them to beat the lineman to the punch. Nolan plays a more read-and-read scheme where the linebackers have to hold up for a second before attacking. So in order to feel the gap they have to outmaneuver or outmuscle a lineman who outweighs them by 50-plus-pound or the DTs have to hold up the OLs at least long enough for the linebackers to have time to beat them to the gap. Our DTs don't do that. Plus, they often get pushed out of their gaps, so if the linebackers are flowing to their gaps, there are holes for the backs to run through.

Although all defenses need a strong interior, Nolan's especially needs ones who can cave/congest that middle and allow the linebackers to be free to run to the ball. Good assignment football only works against the run if the DTs can handle their assignments. Ours cannot. Their assignment is to either tie up blockers or win their one-on-ones and disrupt the play, and we've seen only a few times with either of those have been accomplished.

aria

Reaction score
We just destroyed the Eagles, are about to destroy the Gnats and are tied for 5th in turnovers. The defensive ship has been righted, it’s time to drop anchor with Nolan and see what he can do next year. I can’t wait to find out!

khiladi

Reaction score
Our LBs are the issue. LVE is clearly hurting with the neck.. and what is there to say about Jaylon Smith, who is never in position...

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
I agree.

The Dallas Cowboys are full of issues on defense. Their cornerbacks are reeling. Their safeties are bad. Their linebackers are more liability than asset. And their defensive tackles can’t hold their ground, let alone display basic gap discipline. They get washed every play and it’s having a trickle-down effect on every layer of the defense.

Adding a solid 2-gap tackle like Snacks would do wonders. The linebackers wouldn’t take so many blocks and be able to run a little more freely. The safeties wouldn’t feel obligated to cheat forward and could actually concentrate on playing safety. Even the ends (arguably the only good defensive unit in Dallas) stand to gain because they won’t feel obligated to crash inside and bite on read-option plays (like we saw last week against Hurts).

The way the Dallas Cowboys are constructed now, it’s crazy to think they could do anything should they make the playoffs. The Bucs would run all over them and dominate in the most embarrassingly futile contest imaginable.
The defensive players are mostly the same as last year and didn’t look this bad. I could argue that Diggs is a push for the Byron loss and same with Gregory with the loss of Quinn.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Mike Nolan is trying to do that.

The problem is there is something incredibly wrong with our run fits.

Someone who still dives into All 22 may be able to tell you.. When the Cowboys games end you’d have to pay me to get me to watch them again.

So someone in the know could probably tell you better as to why Mike Nolan’s defense is terrible but just a quick analysis by me it looks like their run fits are horrible.

There is always huge gaps to run through for defenses and not only are there gaps you got a linebackers in Jaylon and LVE that may run himself out of the play.

Fixed your last quote.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If the linebacker can't get to the gap because he has an offensive linemen on top of him, it makes it kind of tough to stop the run. In some schemes, the linebackers are sent to attack the gap immediately, which allows them to beat the lineman to the punch. Nolan plays a more read-and-read scheme where the linebackers have to hold up for a second before attacking. So in order to feel the gap they have to outmaneuver or outmuscle a lineman who outweighs them by 50-plus-pound or the DTs have to hold up the OLs at least long enough for the linebackers to have time to beat them to the gap. Our DTs don't do that. Plus, they often get pushed out of their gaps, so if the linebackers are flowing to their gaps, there are holes for the backs to run through.

Although all defenses need a strong interior, Nolan's especially needs ones who can cave/congest that middle and allow the linebackers to be free to run to the ball. Good assignment football only works against the run if the DTs can handle their assignments. Ours cannot. Their assignment is to either tie up blockers or win their one-on-ones and disrupt the play, and we've seen only a few times with either of those have been accomplished.
Couldnt agree more. Nice post.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I know one thing Cowboys need to upgrade the DT position. Inside DL just has little talent and the results are OL being able to get to the 2nd level and being able to run the ball at will in many of the games. This leads to not only big runs but runs that keep the opposing offense in great down and distance situation which in turn opens up the opportunities in the passing game. As for Nolan, I'm not overly sold on him but as I said when he was hired "it is a McCarthy hire" and I want the HC being the one to put his staff together. If Nolan does return I would hope the organization provides some talent on that DL because I think it we can control the line and keep teams in longer yard situation that will only help the secondary and the ability of Gregory, Smith and Lawrence to get after the QB more effectively

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Really? I don't think so. Eberflus was really a 34 guy who adapted to running Marinelli's 43. In Indy, he uses size at DT to tie up interior OL and allows LBs to flow. That's his thing and that's not what Marinelli did. He believed in using smaller, more mobile interior DLs and believed in getting them upfield and creating havoc on Offense. I don't really see the similarities there.

JMO
He has coached different scheme. He coached a Cover 2 at K State before coming here under Ryan. I wouldn't classify him as a 3-4, 4-3 guy one way or the other

Sydla

Reaction score
I would rather Nolan have that responsibility, he has worked with the players and knows their flaws, it should be up to him and McCarthy to decide who they want to bring in. I believe we ride this out.

So you would rather a mediocre DC pick the players to play in his mediocre defense?

Yeah, count me out on that. Fire Nolan, bring in a new DC and let him, the scouts, McClay give Jerry names to pick on defense.