Mark Schlereth agrees with Larry Fedora's comments and expresses his feelings about football's CTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do we think there isn't one player in the NFL not aware of the inherent dangers of the game? They challenged those dangers just to get to the NFL.

The real problem that was is not any longer, sending players back in with their "bells rung". This concussion protocol seems pretty accurate as they're watching the hits that might cause a concussion and addressing that immediately. The contact on the lines is most difficult to ascertain because when aren't those guys making some helmet contact in the middle of those lines?

This lawsuit isn't about concussions or CTE, it is about what did the league know about recurring concussions, and the danger seems to be right after one concussion, that they kept from the players and allowed, if not sent, them back into the game. There are instances, and Aikman had one, where players have no recollection of going back in the game, total blackout of that time. How many times have we seen players get knocked goofy and have to be restrained from going back in?

They don't need waivers, they all know. They know the risks and they know teammates with concussions, they see it first hand and still choose to play the game. Let them, as long as they've got medical people to make the call they're as protected as they're going to get.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And we saw every carry of Tony Dorsett's career. He avoided hits all the time. Found the turf when it got crowded. Stepped out of bounds before the big blow. Too fast to get a great shot on him. I don't ever remember him getting clocked.

Meanwhile, Roger was concussed mulitiple times and built a billion-dollar real estate business and seems fine in his 70s.
Yep, I was really surprised when I saw Tony with that problem. He must have been getting his "bell rung" and they were letting him back in with the old "how many fingers do you see"? But he was not a contact runner.

erod

Reaction score
Yep, I was really surprised when I saw Tony with that problem. He must have been getting his "bell rung" and they were letting him back in with the old "how many fingers do you see"? But he was not a contact runner.

There could be so many factors other than football. That's the part that these studies don't seem to take into account whatsoever.

Reaction score
The NFL lifts poor kids out of the slums

No. Those poor kids work incredibly hard to get there. Their families make tons of sacrifices to help put them in a position to succeed. Don't act like the NFL is some sort of savior. These "poor kids" did all the work to get to the NFL. The league did little if anything to help them
Nobody is short changing the players for all the work it took for them to get to the NFL. Everybody knows it takes tons of work.

But if there is no NFL, many of them are still in the slums. Quite simple really.

Many of these kids that were in desperate situations saw the NFL as their way out and worked like heck to get there. Good for them. Take that away and many of them would still be in the same place.

Ask Micheal Irvin. He has stated many times that he would be dead if it wasn't for the NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There could be so many factors other than football. That's the part that these studies don't seem to take into account whatsoever.
But just the nature of the sport invites head contact so that's the easy one. And they do have the case studies to go by on the pattern of behavior change like Webster and Duerson.

I wonder if they will identify the key risk factors and why some players seem more susceptible? Then they can check for that and inform the players that might be more susceptible for CTE but for now, it's all post mortem exams.

Do we need docs to tell us that bouncing our brains off our skulls is not good for us?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody is short changing the players for all the work it took for them to get to the NFL. Everybody knows it takes tons of work.

But if there is no NFL, many of them are still in the slums. Quite simple really.

Many of these kids that were in desperate situations saw the NFL as their way out and worked like heck to get there. Good for them. Take that away and many of them would still be in the same place.

Ask Micheal Irvin. He has stated many times that he would be dead if it wasn't for the NFL.
Not just them, they pulled their families out along with them. For a lot of these guys, this is their only hope. I'll see an interview with a player and it's pretty obvious he didn't graduate with honors, if he graduated, but this is the equalizer for them. They weren't born smart or to well off parents, a lot have single Moms and siblings they help with but they can do something better than 99% of all people and they get paid really well to do that. And we pay really good money to be entertained by them.

I put myself in the position of one of these guys and weigh getting my family out of that and having a life like I see on TV all the time vs the risk and it's no contest. I think some of these players would go ahead if they knew they were going to end up with CTE. The end result justifies it.

erod

Reaction score
But just the nature of the sport invites head contact so that's the easy one. And they do have the case studies to go by on the pattern of behavior change like Webster and Duerson.

I wonder if they will identify the key risk factors and why some players seem more susceptible? Then they can check for that and inform the players that might be more susceptible for CTE but for now, it's all post mortem exams.

Do we need docs to tell us that bouncing our brains off our skulls is not good for us?

It's so relative to each person.

My daughter headed 10,000 balls in her soccer career. Many off of 50-yard punts or rocket crosses. Ever so often, it would hit her funny, and she'd flinch with a little pain. But nary a concussion ever. Same for most of her teammates.

Meanwhile, she had a teammate who headed a soft ball coming straight down in practice, and it put her in a hospital for two weeks. Didn't play for two months. Had to quit the game after another one shortly after on another innocuous ball with little velocity on it.

Then, with football players, you have to factor in all the extracurricular activity. Performance enhancing drugs. Cocaine. Pain killers. Who knows what else.

No doubt the game takes its toll, and brains can be damaged by it. Of course, but there is a MUCH larger picture here, and "science" only wants to look at one aspect of it.

Reaction score
Not just them, they pulled their families out along with them. For a lot of these guys, this is their only hope. I'll see an interview with a player and it's pretty obvious he didn't graduate with honors, if he graduated, but this is the equalizer for them. They weren't born smart or to well off parents, a lot have single Moms and siblings they help with but they can do something better than 99% of all people and they get paid really well to do that. And we pay really good money to be entertained by them.

I put myself in the position of one of these guys and weigh getting my family out of that and having a life like I see on TV all the time vs the risk and it's no contest. I think some of these players would go ahead if they knew they were going to end up with CTE. The end result justifies it.
Agreed.

Good point regarding the players not only get themselves out of bad situations, but their families as well.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So smoking doesn't cause lung disease and cancer and drinking doesn't cause liver disease because your mom lived to be 80?

You know what they say: sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut than to open it and remove all doubt as to your level of intelligence
Does it always cause it or just randomly????

How many cigarettes does it take??? For how long???

I am sure you can give specific numbers since the science is settled.......proceed

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yes, all of the scientists are in on the hoax together and so are all of the countries outside of America that take this problem seriously. Only that small percentage of you have it right, kudos!
Exactly........ thanks for admitting it

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
So players can suffer long term effects from football like bad knees, shoulders, back etc. but the though of the brain, which can get rattle quite a bit during the game is unlikely?

Just common sense tells me it is very likely. The brain can be damaged from football just like any other body part.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
It is not just a stereotype if he personally lived it several times

Who made you the spokesman for the underprivileged inner city future star....if anyone is stereotyping it is you....how do you know how hard they work vs rich kids?

Yeah, actually that's how stereotypes persist. You see an occasional case that fits your stereotype and it confirms it for you. Never mind that the vast majority do not fit that preconceived notion.

Last edited:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
LMAO, tell that to those people being evacuated because of a 30 story piece of iceberg in the vicinity.

Don't bother. This board is anti science. Bunch of folks who got PhDs at the University of Google. Nevermind what actual scientific consensus is

visionary

Reaction score
Does it always cause it or just randomly????

How many cigarettes does it take??? For how long???

I am sure you can give specific numbers since the science is settled.......proceed

You're just showing your ignorance, buddy

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet again this thread will be closed because some people cannot learn to leave politics out of things. Bringing up global warming science as a political agenda among science.

STOP IT. AND DO NOT START ANOTHER THREAD ON THIS ISSUE.

Status
Not open for further replies.