Mark Schlereth - Dallas was running wrong D scheme

Creeper

Reaction score
Honestly, I didn't see that many stunts. I saw plays where they lost contain on the outside. I saw plays where the Rams just moved the DTs out of the holes and I saw plays where the Cowboys just didn't make the tackle. To me, the problem was more fundamental. The Rams OL was better than the Cowboys DL. The Rams scheme was confusing the Cowboys LBs. One other thing I noticed and one the plays they show in the video shows it is once the Rams started having success running inside, and I mean going for 8 or 10 yards a play, the Cowboys DEs, even Tank Lawrence, started to drive inside to help stop the run leaving the ends uncontained. The Cowboys CBs missed several tackles allowing Gurley to get away a few times. Overall, the defense was not disciplined.

Having said all that, if the Rams are called for a hold when they tackled Tank Lawrence and Taco Charlton on the same 4th and goal play where the Rams score. Its could have been a much difference ball game at the end.

BoltsNHorns

RamsFan
Reaction score
Schlereth is one of my favorite analysts. I hate that Skip is a Cowboys fan.

He said he the biggest Patriots fan ever but always talks about the Cowboys? Which is it, I'm so confuse. Skip is like a child in a man body.

slick325

Reaction score
The better team won the game. They were more physical on both sides of the ball and executed their game plan better than Dallas. On the crucial play of the game (3rd and 7 with less than 2 minutes to play), Dallas called the right defense to offset a good call by McVay (play action rollout giving Goff option to pass or run) however, Jeff Heath did not stay assignment sound. That was a microcosm of the entire game. Had he stayed assignment sound, I doubt Goff throws a pass and risks stopping the clock. Dallas gets the ball back after using their last timeout needing a TD and 2pt conversion to force OT. Who knows if they would have made it happen...what I know is, they didn't get a chance because they were whipped physically all game.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
They didn’t gain 273 yards right up the keister because “We were in the wrong defense.” It’s called players. Guess this guy didn’t see what the Rams were doing with Anderson the last couple games either. We simply don’t have the beef upfront to shut down a powerful o-line and backs like that. End of story,nothing mysterious to disect about it.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
He said he the biggest Patriots fan ever but always talks about the Cowboys? Which is it, I'm so confuse. Skip is like a child in a man body.
I just appreciate Stink's unemotional objectivity. The other guy is an ***-clown.

bark

Reaction score
Ok. But he dodged the question about how much of an advantage it was for the OL to know the defensive play calls. He refused to quantify it b/c he it detracted from his talking point. What he's saying makes sense, but it doesn't explain 273 yards. We held The Seahawks to 73 yards and Saints to 65. This was a good run defense.
I thought he addressed it by saying it helped but that what helped more was that our stunts took a defender out of the play without having to be blocked.
That allowed the lineman to quickly get onto the second level. Exactly what happened against the colts.
Know your opponent is the message I hope we got out of this.
Schlereth said it best. We picked the worst defensive scheme to run against a zone blocking team and the results say he is right

CWR

Reaction score
Richards has nothing to do with the DL. Thats all Marinelli.

I have heard different versions of wether or not Richard calls the defense. Also isnt he the passing game coordinator, I thought the pass rush was included in that as well?

Look man Im just gonna be pissed at all of em for awhile. Its a process, I will try to stack good days on top of good days and improve my attitude.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Hee hee hee!
Can you feel the beat y'all?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have heard different versions of wether or not Richard calls the defense. Also isnt he the passing game coordinator, I thought the pass rush was included in that as well?

Look man Im just gonna be pissed at all of em for awhile. Its a process, I will try to stack good days on top of good days and improve my attitude.

I see it like this..........This is Marinelli's defensive scheme and he's picked just about every player on it. Richards just got here and did a hell of a job with the guys he was given. He's elevated the play of every player in the Dallas secondary. Marinelli doesn't hand over the DL reigns. This his area of expertise.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Richards calls the defense
If we ran the wrong defense wouldn’t that be in the guy calling the defense

How would we know? We were tipping our defense on 90% of the plays according to the Rams. So even if the defensive play call was perfect, it had little chance of working.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Every commentator I have heard this week agrees that Dallas coaching failed the team and they made no adjustments.

Where there is smoke there is fire.
They all must be wrong. I keep getting told on this board we couldn't make adjustments in that game.

exciter

Reaction score
And now the offseason begins...
I expect this to be chewed over more than beef jerky by a toothless person...
yay
Uh yeah! It's gonna be one greasy grimey mutilated dead horse by training camp!

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Look at Goffs numbers and then come back here and tell us the secondary lost the game.
Look at how many times Goff actually had to throw the ball. Only an idiot would start slinging the rock (risking an INT) when your running game is picking up 7-8 yards a clip. This isn't rocket surgery.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Only an idiot would start slinging the rock (risking an INT) when your running game is picking up 7-8 yards a clip. This isn't rocket surgery.

The idiot Garrett used to do it all the time when Romo was QB