Reaction score
Whats there to be positive about?

1-Our divisional rival just won a super-bowl
2-Jerry is still in charge
3-Garrett is still coach
4-We have nothing at the offensive skill positions outside of Zeke
5-22 years and counting
Lol... :popcorn:

1. Screw them. They suck and are beatable.
2. Actually, Stephen and Willie are gaining control. You see it every passing month with the moves that are made. Jerry's MO is different than the footprints that we are seeing over the past 2-3years.
3. Screw the clapper. Got nothing for you there.
4. We have plenty at the offensive skill positions and you know it.
5. That number is going to reset very soon. I can feel it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So I was partially right @Nightman ?
Kind of

His cap hit this year would be around 6.3m if his base salary is 2.3m

But the 40m guaranteed only covers the first 3 years and not the full 6-7 years

He has a good chance of playing out his whole contract though.....just like Tron and TFred

Pants

Reaction score
Did this just clear money to sign the future HOF Rico to an extension????? win

in all seriousness, now we don't have to tag this guy next year, leaving the tag for Lawrence if he continues to play well....

...love Martin....

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
My heart is so happy that our Oline is happy.
:flagwave::thumbup::yourock:

Get it Willie!
:dance::oldcouple:

Yes, and, hopefully, we never let our oline deteriorate like it did between 2009-2013 again. Think of the players we missed out on having to repair the offensive line. We'll need to do a better job of focusing on that side of the trench from now on. Luckily, we shouldn't need to worry about that for a while.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
No one in here can follow along.

We had Martin Tyron Leary and Fred, to go along with all-pro Romo, Dez, and murray. We won nothing with that offensive group. All 3 skill players set franchise records that season.

Why did we lose? On defense, we has 0 pro bowlers. We need to use more resources on defense.
You need excellent high quality players everywhere.

As for "more resources" on defense, in the last ten years they have spent first round picks on players like Mike Jenkins, Claiborne, Byron Jones, Charlton and Vander Esch, burned second rounders on the likes of Bruce Carter, Jaylon Smith and Gregory. Only 2013 saw all premium picks being used on offensive players.

Where the Pro Bowlers? Oh yes, spending years rehabbing injuries and drug problems and that is if they are even still on the roster. Not really sure what is to be expected as the distribution has not been significantly tilted towards the offense.

The problem is picking the right players.

All in all, if the value is there at the OL, just like it was with Williams in Round 2 this year, I would go for that over forcing a defensive choice just because there is the "need" to use more resources.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Someone needs to thank Zeke for his lavish gift of 4x4s and Key West fishing vacation for his OL

Thanks buddy for those wiener guns

Kaiser

Reaction score
I would say Honey Badger but that wasn't because of the cap and I hope it has to do with EThomas

There are a bunch of small reasons on that - contract, scheme fit, health, Earl Thomas, etc. Id rather gamble on getting Thomas at 10MM with Xavier Woods as my fallback option than plug in Mathieu for that price.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There are a bunch of small reasons on that - contract, scheme fit, health, Earl Thomas, etc. Id rather gamble on getting Thomas at 10MM with Xavier Woods as my fallback option than plug in Mathieu for that price.

That'd BRILLIANT for our defense if we can manage to acquire Thomas and have Woods as the backup. Woods would learn a great deal from Thomas, and Thomas would instantly upgrade our defense.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
You need excellent high quality players everywhere.

As for "more resources" on defense, in the last ten years they have spent first round picks on players like Mike Jenkins, Claiborne, Byron Jones, Charlton and Vander Esch, burned second rounders on the likes of Bruce Carter, Jaylon Smith and Gregory. Only 2013 saw all premium picks being used on offensive players.

Where the Pro Bowlers? Oh yes, spending years rehabbing injuries and drug problems and that is if they are even still on the roster. Not really sure what is to be expected as the distribution has not been significantly tilted towards the offense.

The problem is picking the right players.

All in all, if the value is there at the OL, just like it was with Williams in Round 2 this year, I would go for that over forcing a defensive choice just because there is the "need" to use more resources.
Picking the right players is part of the problem, yes but drafting isnt and shouldnt be the only way to effectively build a roster.

Soon Prescott is going to get paid :)facepalm:), Zeke will get another deal, and la’el is a free agent after next season. Where is all the money going to come from to get/keep the defensive help?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Forget OG .....this deal makes ZMartin the second highest paid OL behind Solder and ZMartin beats his guarantees at 40m to 34m

A lot of happy fat guys around the league today

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Re-read my orginal post, slowly. I never said he wasnt worthy of his contract. Im simply saying im not paying a guard that type of money. I dont care who it is. Id rather give Dlaw that money and/or trade for Thomas and give him a contract.
With Romo’s dead money about to disappear, getting rid of Dez’s contract, the increasing cap, we are currently in position to do just about anything we want in free agency if we want. Paying a great player isn’t nearly as impactful on the cap now as it was just a couple years ago.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Picking the right players is part of the problem, yes but drafting isnt and shouldnt be the only way to effectively build a roster.

Soon Prescott is going to get paid :)facepalm:), Zeke will get another deal, and la’el is a free agent after next season. Where is all the money going to come from to get/keep the defensive help?
You are talking about unrestricted free agency? That also is a talent evaluation issue just as much as it is about money. Nail the draft picks, you don't have to worry about it.

I would rather get the players, then worry about who gets paid. So far, we have not come close to having that internal dilemma.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

We already have space available, and it's easy. We let La'el walk if he doesn't improve and likely let Zeke walk regardless.

Paying players big amounts of money only due to which side of the ball they play on is not a smart team-building strategy.