yards per completion? No
TD %? No
INT %? No
passer rating? No
Wins & losses? No

Seems like a feelz thing.

Section446

Reaction score
He'd be an upgrade, but like Dak, he isn't a Super Bowl caliber QB.

ghst187

Reaction score
Stafford would be a MAJOR upgrade from inept panic riddled Dak!

if Stafford is such a great QB then why would Detroit part with him?!! I swear this thread makes him look like the GOAT.
I swear some people think every qb in the league is better than Dak and it’s just not true.
countdown to the Rivers threads....
but the stats but the stats! And if the eyeball test still says otherwise it’s “well if such and such had our OL and RB....”
(Meanwhile some folks are busy talking about how bad Zeke is or part of our OL)
Stafford has had way more time, chances, coaches, teams...and still less playoff wins than Dak.
Dak isn’t the goat but he’s pretty good and still has upside.....and I’m curious to see what he can do with a competent coaching staff.
Maybe he doesn’t get us there maybe he does but Stafford sure won’t.
if you notice these days a mobile QB seems to be a necessity....
Worst case, tag Dak and see what he can do with MM.
If no, then go to the draft.

ghst187

Reaction score
Stafford doesn't have this OL, Zeke or this receiving core and still has accomplished more than Dak. Jets, buff, no, ne games all would have been won last year with Stafford.

edit had you read the original post you would know better.

Jets, buff, no, ne games all would have been won last year with Mike McCarthy.

fixed it for you.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Here are the reasons from every angle.

Why would Dallas do it?
Stafford has 3 years left on his contract.
Much better cap situation than what Dak will be.
Stafford is better than Dak and would crush in our offense
Just turned 32 and would easily fulfill his contract and maybe another few years.
Could end up gaining a 1st rd pick (will explain later)

Why would Det do it?
They are in place to get Tua if they choose
They are rebuilding
They could add an extra 1st rd pick. Maybe Tua and Fulton instead of Okuda
By trading Stafford and drafting Tua the staff buys some time to rebuild and likely can keep their jobs for a few years.

Why would Stafford go along with it?
He's a local kid and grew up a Cowboys fan
He has potential HOF numbers but likely wouldn't get in unless he gets a chance to win some big games.
Better talent around him.
He's getting older and our OL could prolong his career.
His kids get to be around the grandparents.
The best cancer treatment center in the country is in Tex(his wife has a brain tumor)

How would it go down?

Tag Dak with the non exclusive tag. New England or New Orleans(if Brees retires)or another team picking late decides he is worth giving up 2 1sts for him.

We trade the newly acquired 2020 1st rd pick to Det for Stafford. We still have pick 17 and gain an extra 2021 1st rd pick. We save cap space and gain a Qb built to win now. Reports are that he is fully recovered from injury and by sitting out the season he avoided any long term damage.
Brain damage.

Verdict

Reaction score
Here are the reasons from every angle.

Why would Dallas do it?
Stafford has 3 years left on his contract.
Much better cap situation than what Dak will be.
Stafford is better than Dak and would crush in our offense
Just turned 32 and would easily fulfill his contract and maybe another few years.
Could end up gaining a 1st rd pick (will explain later)

Why would Det do it?
They are in place to get Tua if they choose
They are rebuilding
They could add an extra 1st rd pick. Maybe Tua and Fulton instead of Okuda
By trading Stafford and drafting Tua the staff buys some time to rebuild and likely can keep their jobs for a few years.

Why would Stafford go along with it?
He's a local kid and grew up a Cowboys fan
He has potential HOF numbers but likely wouldn't get in unless he gets a chance to win some big games.
Better talent around him.
He's getting older and our OL could prolong his career.
His kids get to be around the grandparents.
The best cancer treatment center in the country is in Tex(his wife has a brain tumor)

How would it go down?

Tag Dak with the non exclusive tag. New England or New Orleans(if Brees retires)or another team picking late decides he is worth giving up 2 1sts for him.

We trade the newly acquired 2020 1st rd pick to Det for Stafford. We still have pick 17 and gain an extra 2021 1st rd pick. We save cap space and gain a Qb built to win now. Reports are that he is fully recovered from injury and by sitting out the season he avoided any long term damage.

I don’t think this will happen, and I would take Dak over Stafford, but this scenario is somewhat realistic.

Verdict

Reaction score
ok read your post, and not bad, but what I quoted here is the key.
I am pretty sure BB would not give 2 firsts for any qb, so forget that.
Second brees wont retire, and even if he did, I doubt very much that they would part with 2 ist's for Dak.

Third I dont think any team would give 2 1st's for Dak, some might give a single 1st, but forget the 2 thing.
The 4th thing is Jones boys are not letting Dak go, and really are kinda stuck with him unless they let him walk.

I would rather have brady than any other vet, but I dont see jones boys doing that either. They are going
to stick with dak, unless Dak does something to make them mad.

Two late firsts are nothing for a franchise QB if a team evaluated Dak as such. Part of me would love to see this board explode into pieces if Dak was signed by New England for two firsts and won a Super Bowl the first year he was in New England.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Matthew Stafford has connection with Kellen Moore too........count me in

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Stafford is a great QB.

He would have the exact numbers that Dak has last year. What's the point?

sean10mm

Reaction score
So to recap:
  1. Stafford is an obviously awesome upgrade over Dak, so the Lions will be happy to let him go for peanuts.
  2. Dak is an obvious garbageman at QB, so teams like the Saints and Patriots will be happy to give up two 1st round picks for him.
Just LOL

quickccc

Reaction score
For a guy that you’re proclaiming as “ getting older “ but you want him to end up here with the Cowboys as the new foundation ?
And if Stafford has significant more years on his contract, why do we have to take that on with a “ older” guy ?

Also for a guy that is still under contract, in Detroit you’d have to offer trade picks for him.
And being that’s their sole guy, you really think Stafford is gonna come that cheaply at that ?
We don't even know if Lions still consider a 32 yr old Stafford is still better than Tua.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Losing QB? The poor guy has been stuck on one of the most poorly run franchises and has still kicked butt. I would love to see what he could do with this team.

I don't think you were saying that back when Detroit came into Dallas for their playoff game a few years back and almost won.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I see you you have been thinking about the Betts trade with the Red Sox’s, Dodgers, and Twins. Unfortunately this is not baseball

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
For a guy that you’re proclaiming as “ getting older “ but you want him to end up here with the Cowboys as the new foundation ?
And if Stafford has significant more years on his contract, why do we have to take that on with a “ older” guy ?

Also for a guy that is still under contract, in Detroit you’d have to offer trade picks for him.
And being that’s their sole guy, you really think Stafford is gonna come that cheaply at that ?
We don't even know if Lions still consider a 32 yr old Stafford is still better than Tua.

The contract Stafford is under would give the Cowboys more CAP space to resign other players.

quickccc

Reaction score
The contract Stafford is under would give the Cowboys more CAP space to resign other players.

it's not about cap space., I keep tellin' folks that the Cowboys can always move, maneuver, restructure cap space around to re-sign the more crucial, significant cornerstone players they
prioritize. .. If they have to.

with a Stafford, It would be more about long term than dollar counts. and if you're talkin' about age and long term, that immediately concides with Stephen Jones, who seemingly doesn't believe
in committing that kind of big money to aging, outside players .