Matthew Stafford is the QB I would go after

zerofill

Reaction score
He has a lot of 4th quarter comebacks because he’s always losing in the 4th quarter. It’s an odd stat to have when your career win-loss record is so mediocre

Have to agree with that... kind of sick of the 4th quarter comeback crap when it is used with Dak or Romo...

There should be a stat about how many times you didn't need to make a 4th quarter comeback lol.

"This QB has the fewest needed 4th quarter comebacks." for a stat lol...

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Here are the reasons from every angle.

Why would Dallas do it?
Stafford has 3 years left on his contract.
Much better cap situation than what Dak will be.
Stafford is better than Dak and would crush in our offense
Just turned 32 and would easily fulfill his contract and maybe another few years.
Could end up gaining a 1st rd pick (will explain later)

Why would Det do it?
They are in place to get Tua if they choose
They are rebuilding
They could add an extra 1st rd pick. Maybe Tua and Fulton instead of Okuda
By trading Stafford and drafting Tua the staff buys some time to rebuild and likely can keep their jobs for a few years.

Why would Stafford go along with it?
He's a local kid and grew up a Cowboys fan
He has potential HOF numbers but likely wouldn't get in unless he gets a chance to win some big games.
Better talent around him.
He's getting older and our OL could prolong his career.
His kids get to be around the grandparents.
The best cancer treatment center in the country is in Tex(his wife has a brain tumor)

How would it go down?

Tag Dak with the non exclusive tag. New England or New Orleans(if Brees retires)or another team picking late decides he is worth giving up 2 1sts for him.

We trade the newly acquired 2020 1st rd pick to Det for Stafford. We still have pick 17 and gain an extra 2021 1st rd pick. We save cap space and gain a Qb built to win now. Reports are that he is fully recovered from injury and by sitting out the season he avoided any long term damage.

Haha, that is funny.

zerofill

Reaction score
I somehow doubt Stafford's mind was completely in the game... with the things his wife was going through.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I like Stafford, I really do. I would swap Dak out in a heart beat for him.

Why? Stafford led the Lions to the playoffs only three times in 11 seasons and has a 0-3 playoff record. Dak has played in as many playoff games as Stafford and has a better playoff record. Stafford is a good QB but all he really does is put up numbers, he’s a stat guy. He doesn’t consistently win and he’s coming off an injury. He has a 69-79-1 career record. He’s lost more games than he’s won and has a career passer rating of 89.3.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
He has a lot of 4th quarter comebacks because he’s always losing in the 4th quarter. It’s an odd stat to have when your career win-loss record is so mediocre
Team sport.
I think the "comebacks wins" are team things too, btw.....not just won-loss records.
Takes a team
The point was addressing those that say he comes up weak in crunch time. The data does not support that. At all.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Name a few. By numerous, I assume you mean 5 or more.
Name them

I think he stays here, but I'm curious who you think would part with 2 first rounders for Dak and then also pay him the contract he wants.
Tampa, Indy, Jacksonville, and basically every other team that doesn’t have 44 wins under their belts the past 4 years. Cleveland might even do it due to mayfield being the guy he is. The people on this board make it seem like Dak isn’t wanted by anyone but Dallas. It’s completely insane to think that way

MCMetal69

Reaction score
think teams should pay Rivers for making the AFCCG in 2007? Or what he’s done the last 1-2 years?

Dak has 27 regular season wins the last 3 years with arguably the best roster in football

It's Dak's fault the defense can't get critical stops and/or turnovers and that he plays for an organization that has had the absolute worst special teams in the NFL the past couple of seasons ? BTW , the Chiefs and Ravens have the best rosters in football.................................

DFWJC

Reaction score
Tampa, Indy, Jacksonville, and basically every other team that doesn’t have 44 wins under their belts the past 4 years. Cleveland might even do it due to mayfield being the guy he is. The people on this board make it seem like Dak isn’t wanted by anyone but Dallas. It’s completely insane to think that way
Dak is underappreciated by some, no doubt.

Just a minor thing though...... The team's record with Dak is 40-24 (or 41-26 with playoffs).....so not 44 wins. fwiw

I have no idea if any of those teams would cough up two 1sts, but no idea they wouldn't either. I suspect at least one would...which is all it takes.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Lol yeah. A quarter.
Again, the genius of Garrett. Romo asked for a fair and open competition for the starting QB spot once he was healthy and he was just told "No." If Dak was better, why not grant the request, let Dak beat him out and surely boost Dak's confidence. It's because Romo was better in every facet. We could've done so much more that season if not for the stupidity of Garrett. The only TD drive we had in that Philly game was when Romo was in and he made it look easy.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In Stafford’s 11 seasons in Detroit he led the Lions to only 4 winning seasons and has an 0-3 playoff record. He has a career record of 69-79-1 and a career passer rating of 89.1. I challenge anyone on this board to come up with a logical, sensible explanation of why Stafford would be a better option at QB than Dak. Why would anyone think Stafford could lead the Cowboys to a championship?

zack

Reaction score
Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett said hi...The Cowboys and Lions are in the same exact group of *7 teams that haven’t made a conference championship since ‘95.

(*8 if you add the Texans)

The Lions have won one playoff game in their history and I was at the game in Detroit. It's not even close how bad that organization has been. How many head coaches/offensive coordinators has he played for? A ton... I'd take him in a heartbeat...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Lions have won one playoff game in their history and I was at the game in Detroit. It's not even close how bad that organization has been. How many head coaches/offensive coordinators has he played for? A ton... I'd take him in a heartbeat...
Not true. They won the NFL Championship several times in the 1950's.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Stafford is the poster boy for "physical tools" and "looking the part" and "measurables" ie(cannon arm) YET AN UNDERACHIEVER... very sporadic/erratic poor decision maker, not mobile. Has not been a winner.. etc.. You guys just really hate Dak Prescott huh? I'm beginning to think this is a lot deeper than football.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Stafford is the poster boy for "physical tools" and "looking the part" and "measurables" ie(cannon arm) YET AN UNDERACHIEVER... very sporadic/erratic poor decision maker, not mobile. Has not been a winner.. etc.. You guys just really hate Dak Prescott huh? I'm beginning to think this is a lot deeper than football.
I like Dak and he is and will be our guy
You are wrong about Stafford though

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
In Stafford’s 11 seasons in Detroit he led the Lions to only 4 winning seasons and has an 0-3 playoff record. He has a career record of 69-79-1 and a career passer rating of 89.1. I challenge anyone on this board to come up with a logical, sensible explanation of why Stafford would be a better option at QB than Dak. Why would anyone think Stafford could lead the Cowboys to a championship?

Because Stafford has been stuck on a poorly run franchise deficient in talent.

Replace Dak with Stafford and he adds 5 wins last year. Jets, Buff, N.E. N.O. and Philly.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Again, the genius of Garrett. Romo asked for a fair and open competition for the starting QB spot once he was healthy and he was just told "No." If Dak was better, why not grant the request, let Dak beat him out and surely boost Dak's confidence. It's because Romo was better in every facet. We could've done so much more that season if not for the stupidity of Garrett. The only TD drive we had in that Philly game was when Romo was in and he made it look easy.
Lol. Romo was definitely better at throwing picks in crucial moments of the game. You just showed your agenda and why you don’t like Dak. Thanks for coming out.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Yup, the hate is personal. Living life with such hate in your heart, for a guy who plays football; I would not want to meet these people in person. Scary.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Because Stafford has been stuck on a poorly run franchise deficient in talent.

Replace Dak with Stafford and he adds 5 wins last year. Jets, Buff, N.E. N.O. and Philly.

That’s the same excuse the Romo lovers used for why he didn’t win a championship. For 7 years Stafford was throwing to one of the greatest wide receivers of all time Calvin Johnson. Dak has a career winning record and Stafford doesn’t. Dak has a playoff win and Stafford doesn’t. Dak ranks 4th in career passer rating and one of the latest polls has his odds at #5 of winning league MVP next season.