Maurice Clarett

Verdict

Reaction score
Would anyone here advocate drafting him, and if so, in what round?

Gaede

Reaction score
his problems seem to be maturity problems (not of the criminal variety) I don't know much about him actually, but I don't remember reading anything that said he had problems with his teammates (like Bryant, Owens)...and there's no question that gives his all on the field. I think a coach like Parcells would be boom/bust with someone like Clarett.

I would not be opposed if we used a 5th on him

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
if we waste even a 7th rd pick on Clarett, I'll throw the TV...

honestly the NFL should send a message to Clarett and kids that might for some stupid reason emulate him, dont draft him at all....

he's doomed to be a monumental bust

David

Roughneck

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:

honestly the NFL should send a message to Clarett and kids that might for some stupid reason emulate him, dont draft him at all....

David
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Gaede

Reaction score
after the fourth round there are no busts. At that point most of the players you're drafting are special teams players or career backups

Clarett gives a lot of effort on the field. Shouldn't that matter?

Verdict

Reaction score
I think he will be gone before the end of Round 3. An article I just read says NFL execs see him being taken in Round 4.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I actually preferred Clarett over Julius last draft. Although things have changed now. Being out of any competitive football for two years is huge. One year is bad enough but two years is like starting from scratch. If he is to be a player, I say it takes him three years to regain those two years of inactivity. Plus you have more off the field stuff popping up.

MC should have swallowed his pride and gone someplace to play football. I don't care if it was San Jose community college. Being involved in the game in some way or form is a lot better than being a mystery to NFL scouts.

Hailmary

Reaction score
If we're going to start drafting trouble, my vote goes to Adrian McPherson, formerly of FSU. Not to be our future QB, but so we can convert him to be Anquan Boldin-lite. He'll need to hit the weight room, but if all his legal problems are a thing of the past, he has the tools to be an electrifying player.

I would use a second day pick on him. I wouldn't want anything to do w/ Clarrett.

notherbob

Reaction score
I recommend either Washington or Philadelphia trade up to the number one slot and draft him.

'notherBob

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Verdict said:
I have had a gut feeling Parcells wanted him since leading up to last year's draft. I still feel like it. Part of it stems from stuff mickey wrote about his visits and workouts.Part of it stems from his comments on BDSSP that the Cowboys had been the most interested.

BUSDRIV3RDH

Reaction score
My sights are on R. Williams revitalizing his career as a Cowboy, but I'm sure that makes some of you cry from the inside out even harder then the thougt of Clarett wearing a star.

Any 2nd day pick I would use on this guy, especialy if we don't sign a FA RB. It would be interesting next year the guy with "personality problems" vs the guy with "playing ability problems" battling it out for #1 spot. Throw Lee in there and we actually might have a good set of backs for this new phase "rb- y-commitee" thing that's sweeping the league.

So I reserve that 2nd day pick to go either in the draft to Clarett or to the Dolphins for Williams. Might even up that Williams one to as far as a 2nd round pick.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I'd take him no sooner then the 5th round. If he turns into another "AB type" headcase then no big deal... it was only a 5th - 7th rounder.

Hey, WAIT A MINUTE... can he play special teams?!?!

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967 said:

David

Uh - I'll take him for a 7th - thank you very much.

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
Doubtful that he would be there in the later rounds but i would take a shot with a late round pick. He is trouble in my eyes though but the skill he seems to have might offset that....MAYBE!!

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Verdict said:
I'd draft Maurice Clarett with the our 2nd 1st Rd pick. I think he's better that any RB that came out last year.

It might be time to fire up that Clarett bandwagon again.

Champsheart

Reaction score
Ok, I am going to say this nicely.
MC is an idiot! There is no way we should waste a draft pick on him. I would not even bring him in as an undrafted FA.

After what I heard last night I could not stand to have this guy on my team. If what he says is not true then he should be thrown in jail. If what he says is true all he has proven to me is he will turn his back on you. Don't want that kind of guy on this team. Sure he may not be on the Ohio State team, but he was team mates with many still there and sweated out a National Championship, and now he is taking those guys down with him.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Champsheart said:
Ok, I am going to say this nicely.
MC is an idiot! There is no way we should waste a draft pick on him. I would not even bring him in as an undrafted FA.

After what I heard last night I could not stand to have this guy on my team. If what he says is not true then he should be thrown in jail. If what he says is true all he has proven to me is he will turn his back on you. Don't want that kind of guy on this team. Sure he may not be on the Ohio State team, but he was team mates with many still there and sweated out a National Championship, and now he is taking those guys down with him.
I agree it's an ugly situation between Clarett and Ohio State, but I am sick and tired of the Cowboys using "The Great character" clause as a reason for not drafting a player. Clarett is a stud. He is the primary reason Ohio State won the Championship.

Smith22

Reaction score
Charles said:
I agree it's an ugly situation between Clarett and Ohio State, but I am sick and tired of the Cowboys using "The Great character" clause as a reason for not drafting a player. Clarett is a stud. He is the primary reason Ohio State won the Championship.
We took chances on Bryant and Ross, that didn't work out too well....

joseephuss

Reaction score
No one really knows what kind of NFL player he will be. He did not complete a full season at OSU. He hasn't played in two years. The last anyone saw him he was fat. He was not fast or shifty and I thought he ran a bit upright. I care less about off the field incidents than I do with someone's on field talent. No one has had the opportunity to truly evaluate his talents because he has been off the field and also out of the weight room.

What would have happened if he played last season and this season? Would he have developed his skills and become a top back? No one knows. It is possible that he could have regressed or defenses would have figured out his weaknesses. Too many questions to spend a first day pick on him.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
I think he's a total little s***bucket. This isn't character--this is someone throwing everyone under the bus as soon as things go bad. Can you imagine what he'd be like in the locker room if things weren't going his way?

He'll probably get picked up by some team, but the trick will be how much work he does to get in shape. The biggest knock on him prior to the last draft was that he looked soft & out of shape. A lot of personnel people expressed surprise that he hadn't made more of an effort to get himself in shape.

Compare him to Williams. The guy took the final decision from the court with a lot of class, handled being disallowed to reinstate with class, & has said he'll focus on getting his education & staying in shape for the draft. THAT'S the kind of kid you look for--not some whiner who only played a few games & has done nothing but blame others since then for his problems.