May be time to let Marinelli go

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who knows what this staff will look like in 2020. I mean if they make the playoffs and make a run, Garrett will get extended, Moore will likely get a raise, etc. But if that happens, this staff needs to move on from Marinelli IMO. Maybe get a new DL voice in here to shake some things up.

I am pretty sure this is Rod's last year. I have nothing to base it on but a gut feeling. Based a few comments from them from a year ago. As well his contract is up.

garyo1954

Reaction score
No question Kris Richard will become the DC (unless he takes a head coaching position before Rod leaves). He brought his playbook from Seattle and meshed it with the Marinelli's which says a lot. And he owns the defensive clipboard, calling the plays already. Just a matter of time until the title is official. Might be the only thing holding it up is Rod wanting a Super Bowl ring?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Who knows what this staff will look like in 2020. I mean if they make the playoffs and make a run, Garrett will get extended, Moore will likely get a raise, etc. But if that happens, this staff needs to move on from Marinelli IMO. Maybe get a new DL voice in here to shake some things up.

There's a lot of concern...

Marinelli gets owned by the Rams in the playoffs [273 yds rushing, 40 attempts, 3 TDs] and we basically see the SAME defense vs the Giants.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Marinelli gets owned by the Rams in the playoffs [273 yds rushing, 40 attempts, 3 TDs] and we basically see the SAME defense vs the Giants.

The Rams killed everyone and both Dallas DTs were playing with injuries that keep most players off the field in the regular season.

I posted this in another thread, before Antwuan Woods got hurt in the 2nd Quarter Dallas was actually holding the Rams RBs slightly under their season average YPC.

Xeven

Reaction score
Make Shawn Lee the DC. No one knows a defense like a LB.

Hadenough

Reaction score
The Bills last two drives to win the game:

8 plays, 85 yards, TD
8 plays, 80 yards, TD

The Jets defense gagged in the 4th quarter.
The defense held the Bill's to 17 points and the defense actually scored a td, and a fumble recovery with 4 sacks. Cant blame the Jets defense when their offense turned the ball over to Buffalo 4 times.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
When Crawford plays defensive end he makes errors like a young pop warner player, sucking himself inside etc. You learn at the pee wee level not to do that as a defensive end.

I'm not really a fan of Crawford, particularly at RDE. But don't tell me that the defenders aren't told at times to engage blockers. Those blockers were going to engage *him* regardless.

Anyone being objective about the play will say that LVE is the guy who screwed up. He was the guy who was entirely free, and just picked the wrong gap.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of Crawford, particularly at RDE. But don't tell me that the defenders aren't told at times to engage blockers. Those blockers were going to engage *him* regardless.

Anyone being objective about the play will say that LVE is the guy who screwed up. He was the guy who was entirely free, and just picked the wrong gap.

I wouldnt blame LVE with the problems we are seeing with the defense.

In 2018, 3 defensive players were responsible for most of the sacks and QB hits.

DLaw, RGregory, and TCrawford.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2018.htm

The LBs on the team do not blitz much.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He's been chiefly responsible for developing DLaw, Woods, Collins, Armstrong, Gregory, and others. He's not calling plays and i am fine with him in his role.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Yeah, sometimes you have to put the old dog down. As painful as that might be. I'm seeing nothing from Methuselah's "Rushmen" and the same issues of being unsound versus the run that cost us last year. The game passes everyone by eventually, and I think our 'defensive coordinator' in name only has had his day.

Time to go.

I said this 2 years ago, so I think it's overdue. He can teach a specific thing, like tackling, and I'm fine with him being there for player development....but don't want him anywhere near the defensive game plans, schemes or strategies any longer. Those stale, unimaginative, no-deception schemes are simply too susceptible to being picked apart by a good OC and QB.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
There's a lot of concern...

***? Was the old man on the field?
I didn't think so.
The PLAYERS screwed the pooch on that game. Even though the defense gave up all those yards on the ground, the team still had a chance to win and why didn't they? ..........

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Who's coaching the defensive linemen getting abused and run over out there?
If the guy's doing nothing as you contend, all the more reason why he shouldn't be here any longer.

Agreed. They don't pay him just to clap, that's Garrett's job. Personally I don't like the way he picks DL, never did. I like our LBs and CBs, but the biggest problem with the defense IMO has been Marinelli's style of DL.

robertfchew

Reaction score
Should have been let go after the GB playoff loss. Seriously, the great defensive guru couldn't stop a qb that was playing with one good leg.

I don’t disagree that he should be let go but Rodgers wasn’t on one leg. That guy fakes every injury. Watch next time he is hurt he will forget the limp or whatever and then just randomly start it again.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Hill was touted as “elite”. So far, he hasn’t played like it.
Agreed. That's why I said earlier that Rod needs to be shut out of the talent evaluation/acquisition phase of the football operation.