Maybe our expectation of Red...

btcutter

Reaction score
is too high? We all expect an Offensive genius BUT I really haven't seen him utilize his weapons as effectively as I thought he would.

Why not use TO the way he was used last yr by motioning him more??? Why no screening to Jones more or design play for him to get into open field? Why aren't we running even more than we are with our massive OL and two great RB and use that to feed the pass action plays? This is how Skins and G men are winning games.

I know it's his 2nd season....but I don't see us playing to our offensive strength and at time I think he's allowing the D dictate our O.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I don't expect an offensive genius.

To me he is what he is. An OC in his second year. He called good games and he has his weaknesses. Wether he can get better only time will tell. Just because he has an aggressive style we all missed when Parcells coached the team doesn't mean he is great.

But when this offense stutters it's not all his fault. Romo isn't playing well the last few games in my oppinion. And our WRs don't play very well either.

joseephuss

Reaction score
A small factor are the injuries to Kyle Kosier and Deon Anderson. I bet some of the offensive game planning and play calling has been somewhat effected by those injuries.

Other than that I think that the play calling has been pretty good and we have seen some good results. Romo has struggled the last couple of games, but I am not sure that changes in the offense would have changed that. He just has not been as accurate the last two games. He has had time and guys open and missed them.

It is execution more than play calling although there is always room for improvement with both.

superpunk

Reaction score
It doesn't matter who the OC is. The complaints never change - only the names do.

Wade and Garrett are being crucified for the exact same things Parcells and Sparano were railed against for. (or maybe Sparano was the REAL offensive genius??????) People were just as wrong and lazy in their thinking as they are now.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;2319312 said:
It doesn't matter who the OC is. The complaints never change - only the names do.

Wade and Garrett are being crucified for the exact same things Parcells and Sparano were railed against for. (or maybe Sparano was the REAL offensive genius??????) People were just as wrong and lazy in their thinking as they are now.
But we are better statistically and in terms of W/L ratio now.

joseephuss

Reaction score
superpunk;2319312 said:

I don't think they are just as wrong, but close to it. I did think the offensive game plan against the Seahawks in the playoff game was not good. Still with better execution, Dallas would have won. A fumble by Witten, a fumble by Glenn and a botched hold by Romo would be hard to overcome by any OC.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt;2319317 said:
But we are better statistically and in terms of W/L ratio now.
We also have loads more talent, more experience, more everything.

The complaints remain the same, only the names have changed. They're just as baseless now as they were before. It all depends on who you WANT to blame.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Man, how many points have we scored since Red Ball took over?

A bunch.

He hung 41 on Jim Johnson this year and hung 38 on him last year.

Tough crowd at times, tough crowd.

I guess you could take out Felix's kickoff return, but that is still 34 on the almighty Jim Johnson.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk;2319326 said:
We also have loads more talent, more experience, more everything.
Mmm...it's hard to say, particularly last year. Our defense was constantly hobbled last year such that we had to rely on Jacques Reeves and Nate Jones (and still we have 2 pro bowlers out right now). Not to mention we were without our #2 threat at wide receiver, which we haven't been able to replace. This year we're depending very heavily on 2 rookie corners and we still have Keith Davis as one of our starting safety. Yes, Leonard Davis has been a step up from Rivera, but we're still without Kosier, who I think has been a big loss so far.

We were incredibly healthy in 2006. But our defensive schemes made us the worst defense in the NFL.

superpunk

Reaction score
I'm like freaking Nostradamus (September 2007)

superpunk;1667313 said:
I just feel bad when idiot fans radically turn on players and coaching staffs because of some moronic reasoning that they'll trot out like an outdated scheme, or being too conservative. All coaches play to win. They're just easy scapegoats for poor talent and lack of execution, because it's alot easier to blame one person than to admit that your team might just not be as good as you thought they were. I felt bad for Parcells when the mob turned on him and his staff for being "figured out" by Sean Payton, and I'll feel bad for Wade Phillips when the mob turns on him. At the end of the day, all we can hope for is that they win.

I knew it would happen, it was only a matter of time. Red Jesus is no different.

This would be an outstanding statistical defense in almost every category if we could have just finished some sacks instead of whiffing on guys like Rodgers, Campbell, Palmer and McNabb. This offense could be setting records if Tony was completely right - I think it's pretty clear that he's not.

Instead of acknowledging that, it's all "Red should put TO in motion more" and "We need to play more press coverage".

Nothing has changed but the coaches names.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TwentyOne;2319296 said:
Just because he has an aggressive style we all missed when Parcells coached the team doesn't mean he is great.

Very good point....I'd like to see us run the ball more - not "Parcells run the ball more" but - - - more.