McCarthy and the pre-season

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I tried looking up the pre-season record of the Packers under McCarthy for his time there.

I came up blank.

Some of you know how the team did.

I say this becuz under Garrett, they never seemed important.but other than our 2016 year..

this team started seasons slow and we lost alot in pre-season.

Of course Garrett always seemed to fail at getting us ready for big games period.

So what is going to be the mindset with McCarthy?

What does his analytics say about pre-season and winning.?

With so much new in Dallas, how important is it to win early.

What do you guys think for 2020?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Everyone has a different opinion about the importance of preseason, but there is no consistent data to support either side. Teams often go 0-4 or 1-3 and end up deep in the playoffs and vice versa.

I think having a good camp way outweighs the importance of the preseason results. Its thousands of snaps in practice, drills, and scrimmages vs a few hundred during the preseason.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
this pre season is going to be good because the team will be getting new philophies and hopefully new plays. the pre season can tell us much beyond wins and losses. should be exciting this year with a HC taking it seriously.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
And if my quick math is right (not likely) mccarthy went 28-23-1 in the preseason with the packers. Nothing earth shattering in the numbers.
No.

As an aside..Jimmy Johnson as I recalled played more to win in the pre-season.

So I do not know.

I know I am tired of watching our 3rd string get waxed becuz we have no depth.

Yes, a few like Pollard. But not much more.

Like to see more under McCarthy.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
this pre season is going to be good because the team will be getting new philophies and hopefully new plays. the pre season can tell us much beyond wins and losses. should be exciting this year with a HC taking it seriously.
Just curious what you are expecting to see? It's not like teams are showing off all their new wrinkles and ideas in exhibition games.

The only real difference I see happening would be how much the starters end up playing.

conner01

Reaction score
Win or lose it’s about how you play
This will be very important with so many changes in defensive scheme and what we change on offense
I hope we play the important players a bit more
But it’s gonna be an important camp and pre season

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I tried looking up the pre-season record of the Packers under McCarthy for his time there.

I came up blank.

I say this becuz under Garrett, they never seemed important.but other than our 2016 year..

Of course Garrett always seemed to fail at getting us ready for big games period.

It's total foolishness to worry about how a coach plays players the majority of snaps in preseason with most players that will never end up playing in the NFL. I'll point out to you that in the 92 season the cowboys were 1-3 in preseason and won the Super Bowl. Again trying to make any judgement done based on preseason games is foolishness.

Techsass

Reaction score
I always thought it was just a way to gauge a prospects football smarts. The vets may not be going full bore, but will already know what to do when something unexpected happens. Besides both sides of the ball are running basic vanilla schemes & plays.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I came up blank.

Well we started 3-0 this year.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Just curious what you are expecting to see? It's not like teams are showing off all their new wrinkles and ideas in exhibition games.

The only real difference I see happening would be how much the starters end up playing.

are the players playing well, keeping to their assingments, how does the defense look. i dont care what you show in pre season, its not like major rules change, the qb throws or hands the ball to someone, but how is Dak connecting with recievers, is he seeing the defense better.

same thing on D, are guys hitting, are they challenging the QB, are they playing the ball better. pre season or not, no one drops interceptions to say "i dindt want the other team to know i can catch the ball"

whatever anyone tells you, most things dont change in the game. Defense still tries to stop the offense, offense still tries to score. but if you watch the players, the coaches, how the team reacts, that can tell you a lot.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No.

As an aside..Jimmy Johnson as I recalled played more to win in the pre-season.

So I do not know.

I know I am tired of watching our 3rd string get waxed becuz we have no depth.

Yes, a few like Pollard. But not much more.

Like to see more under McCarthy.
I get it, and you may be spot on, especially with a new coaching staff. Deep down i feel like it matters too, I just don't see any data that shows strong evidence of carry over from preseason to the regular season. For that reason it's hard for me to get too caught up in the pre season results. I think i'd rather go 0-4 in the preseason with reports from training camp that guys are going all out with a high intensity in practice.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
im also hoping MM sees what Smith is all about, either use him or dump him. im tired of keeping talent that wont emerge.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
im also hoping to see no drama, i want all contracts resolved by than, all players accounted for, or off the team you go. no more BS holding this team up or playing footsie with the ownership to show how special you are. PLayer geting contracts and than going to sleep, no more. either sign or look elsewhere and take the hit.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
are the players playing well, keeping to their assingments, how does the defense look. i dont care what you show in pre season, its not like major rules change, the qb throws or hands the ball to someone, but how is Dak connecting with recievers, is he seeing the defense better.

same thing on D, are guys hitting, are they challenging the QB, are they playing the ball better. pre season or not, no one drops interceptions to say "i dindt want the other team to know i can catch the ball"

whatever anyone tells you, most things dont change in the game. Defense still tries to stop the offense, offense still tries to score. but if you watch the players, the coaches, how the team reacts, that can tell you a lot.

And i'm fine with most of that. Judging individual performance i think is a better thing than looking at team performance in the preseason. I think you are a little bit more optimistic on what the preseason outlook can tell you than I am, but you're not wrong.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I came up blank.
And a "like" for trying lol.

Win now Preseason/regular season, without a doubt. There will definitely be some shakeups with so many free agents on this roster, but Big Mac said in his introductory press conference that this offense will be built around the success of the qb, they believe they have the pieces in place, just need to put them all together.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Well we started 3-0 this year.
I know.

The exception not the rule under Garrett.
With him..

we had what..4 seasons we went 8-8 ?

So that means those years we were losing in December and missing the playoffs those years.

Yikes..slower than molasses finishes..2017 stunk as did 2019 under Garrett.

What the heck took so long to get rid of Garrett anyway.?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
And a "like" for trying lol.

Win now Preseason/regular season, without a doubt. There will definitely be some shakeups with so many free agents on this roster, but Big Mac said in his introductory press conference that this offense will be built around the success of the qb, they believe they have the pieces in place, just need to put them all together.
There can be no doubt to me that the guys we sent to the Pro Bowl are going to come back having talked with other guys at the game..

that played under McCarthy and told them how he coaches.

Also about all these new position coaches.

Lots of watercooler conversations coming at the Star.

:thumbup:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well the won lost record is not important, it is how the players look and execute.
Including the bkups and wannabes.