McCarthy and the pre-season

ShiningStar

Reaction score
And i'm fine with most of that. Judging individual performance i think is a better thing than looking at team performance in the preseason. I think you are a little bit more optimistic on what the preseason outlook can tell you than I am, but you're not wrong.

you are more right than i am, however i am thinking of a new staffs perspective and they will need every minute this off season into next season. remember they have a lot to do and hopefully not looking for a short window win vs building something but it depends on what MM can or can not go with. Plus invidiual performance is fine, but this year is going to be all new and hopefully in a different direction.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
im also hoping to see no drama, i want all contracts resolved by than, all players accounted for, or off the team you go. no more BS holding this team up or playing footsie with the ownership to show how special you are. PLayer geting contracts and than going to sleep, no more. either sign or look elsewhere and take the hit.
Agreed.

Accountability.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As mentioned before, you want to see team cohesiveness, depth, and execution; on offense, defense, and special teams.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Other than the first half of the 3rd preseason game winning is in the hands of players that may not even be on the team.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Other than the first half of the 3rd preseason game winning is in the hands of players that may not even be on the team.

yes hopefully with MM a lot is going to happen. lots to see lots to be excited about for now.

Gremell12

Reaction score
Pray we get the Hall of Fame game so players and coaches get more time to practice together.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
All you want to see out of the preseason is no injuries, for any team.

I think it was Sean McVay who said that he only needs two preseason games - one to determine which bottom of the roster guys make it, and a one-half dress rehearsal for the regular season. The rest is just filler.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson as I recalled played more to win in the pre-season.

I am tired of watching our 3rd string get waxed becuz we have no depth.

Jimmy's Cowboys went 3-1 in preseason in 1989 and 1-15 in the regular season. During the Bills run to four straight SBs, they won a total of 1 preseason game in those 4 years.

If your third stringers are getting waxed that's not an argument to play your starters more to win in preseason - it's an argument to play them less so they don't get hurt.

Lack of depth is a roster building issue that isn't fixed by "playing to win" in preseason.