Twitter: McCarthy is off to a damn good job assembling coaching staff

erod

Reaction score
If Fassel is here, I'd say Tavon Austin should get that resume polished up.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Good job ........we are already a better team IMO

Tomsula..... fired after 1 season by niners
Fassel....uhm, according to wikipedia, he developer a punter and kicker
Nolan.....in his 3.5 years as head coach he avg about 4 wins

Im not saying these guys cant coach, im saying they will not be the reason we win or lose games. It is hilarious to me to see the excitement. Im all for excitement, but the real reason is because it is not JG. Its like the shiny new toy. All that excitement will be just like when Moore took over the offense. By week 8 or so, how great was the new toy working out?

Dak will be the reason we win or lose. We lost multiple games that were very close. 2 more plays in each game by dak, and we are probable 11-5 or 12-4.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Fassell is a quantum leap better than the turds they had. STs became an after thought in Dallas the last couple years.

I just want these coaches to discipline these players and make them accountable.

1000% sure this won't be an issue with THIS staff. Letting Mike choose his own staff, Jerry is sending a message to players this will now be McCarthy's team going forward. The buck stops there.......

This HC will not hesitate to hold EVERY PLAYER accountable every week. Contracts, pro bowl status won't mean a damn with him if you're not doing your job. Remember he sent Brett Favra packing.......

Prossman

Reaction score
Nolan is my main concern...........I'm trying to figure out if he was the best option or merely a pay back hire.
with you. probably a little of both. He cant be worse than Marenelli and his outdated scheme.

willia451

Reaction score
SPREAD THE JOY FROM COAST TO COAST
THAT CLAPPER GARRETT IS FINALLY
TOAST

8PD6XAL.gif

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Tomsula..... fired after 1 season by niners
Fassel....uhm, according to wikipedia, he developer a punter and kicker
Nolan.....in his 3.5 years as head coach he avg about 4 wins

Im not saying these guys cant coach, im saying they will not be the reason we win or lose games. It is hilarious to me to see the excitement. Im all for excitement, but the real reason is because it is not JG. Its like the shiny new toy. All that excitement will be just like when Moore took over the offense. By week 8 or so, how great was the new toy working out?

Dak will be the reason we win or lose. We lost multiple games that were very close. 2 more plays in each game by dak, and we are probable 11-5 or 12-4.

IDK man ........you're referencing their records as head coaches. I'm not sure that matters since we're hiring them as assistants. So you're saying we didn't need a coaching change?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am beginning to think that Mike McCarthy had his staff picked before hand for any of the teams he was interviewing with. I would not be surprised if part of his pitch to the Jones on his interview was telling Jerry who he was planning to hire as part of his staff. I find it hard to believe that a person could assemble his staff this quickly otherwise.

I especially like the special teams coach as Dallas desperately needs to improve in this area.
Agree 100%. This has been in the works for quite some time. I think the interview was a mere formality - a symbolic gesture after a series of red herring events. Jerry had no plans to keep Garrett even if they achieved a SB!
@Blackrain made the observation that this hiring was started last year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
1000% sure this won't be an issue with THIS staff. Letting Mike choose his own staff, Jerry is sending a message to players this will now be McCarthy's team going forward. The buck stops there.......

This HC will not hesitate to hold EVERY PLAYER accountable every week. Contracts, pro bowl status won't mean a damn with him if you're not doing your job. Remember he sent Brett Favra packing.......
in my best John McEnroe voice...... YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS? He sent Favre packing.......bahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha. And the colts sent Manning packing...ONLY because they both had a HOF QB waiting to take over.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
IDK man ........you're referencing their records as head coaches. I'm not sure that matters since we're hiring them as assistants. So you're saying we didn't need a coaching change?
not waht I am saying. im fine with the change, I think it was time. But it was change for change's sake. All of these guys know football. I dont think much will change. Ultimately players win and lose. Why did the Rams suck this year? The coach is a genius, no?

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I think the worst that can be said of him is that his defenses played to their talent level. When he had players he had top 10 defenses. When he didn't they were mediocre. He never had GM power so you can't hang his roster quality on him.

Apparently in San Fran he was his own GM.

Reactions: BAT

texbumthelife

Reaction score
not waht I am saying. im fine with the change, I think it was time. But it was change for change's sake. All of these guys know football. I dont think much will change. Ultimately players win and lose. Why did the Rams suck this year? The coach is a genius, no?

So, Belichick and Saban are really just bus drivers? OK..

Nolan has a knack for crating turnovers as a DC. Tomsula has a knack for getting sack numbers as a DL coach. These things are proven. It's not wishful thinking or sheer positivity. The numbers are out there in multiple stops for each. They both bombed as head coaches, but they won't have that role here. That combination of proven turnover/sack numbers really should get just about anyone jazzed about this defense. Yeah it's all projection at this point, but that's all any offseason is. There is ample reason for people who believe coaching matters (you don't apparently?) to think this defense will be more aggressive and fun to watch.

I get the wait and see approach though. Cowboys have have certainly earned the right to be cynical.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Rivera hiring Del Rio makes Manusky available.

Could anyone see Nolan/McCarthy making a play at bringing him in here to coach linebackers? Get all the boys back together?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
in my best John McEnroe voice...... YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS? He sent Favre packing.......bahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha. And the colts sent Manning packing...ONLY because they both had a HOF QB waiting to take over.

You don't remember issues between McCarthy, Rogers and Favre wanting to reclaim his starting position?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most important hire is the DC. If the DC is a good hire we will be a better team. If not it will be more of the same. Rearranging deck chairs on the titanic

I think you're right on in this assessment. Nolan and the defensive assistants will be the make or break for this team's fortunes.

Having capable special teams would have likely gotten them anitwe win or two, but if they can field a sound defense in 2020, I think this team could easily win 11 games or more.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Nolan is my main concern...........I'm trying to figure out if he was the best option or merely a pay back hire.
A lot of coaching hires are paybacks.

The main plus is that McCarthy should know what he brings to the table and allow his offense to play off the defense.

In the past under Garrett, it always looked like each unit was doing its own thing without regards to that sort of syngergy.