Twitter: McCarthy is off to a damn good job assembling coaching staff

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
not waht I am saying. im fine with the change, I think it was time. But it was change for change's sake. All of these guys know football. I dont think much will change. Ultimately players win and lose. Why did the Rams suck this year? The coach is a genius, no?

No question players execute but execute what????????? Coaches playbook and designs.....w/o it player wouldn't have directions. Just think we have be careful undermining the importance of coaching and not just the X&Os.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am going to take it a step further and wait till the first season to see what these changes bring about in terms of play.

Can't find it in yourself to be hopeful and optimistic about such a grand change, eh?

Oh the emotional abuse....really taken it's toll!

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So, Belichick and Saban are really just bus drivers? OK..

Nolan has a knack for crating turnovers as a DC. Tomsula has a knack for getting sack numbers as a DL coach. These things are proven. It's not wishful thinking or sheer positivity. The numbers are out there in multiple stops for each. They both bombed as head coaches, but they won't have that role here. That combination of proven turnover/sack numbers really should get just about anyone jazzed about this defense. Yeah it's all projection at this point, but that's all any offseason is. There is ample reason for people who believe coaching matters (you don't apparently?) to think this defense will be more aggressive and fun to watch.

I get the wait and see approach though. Cowboys have have certainly earned the right to be cynical.
PLEASE... there are always ouitliers. Billy Boy has what is considered the GREATEST QB of all time , no? Lets see how he does moving forward.

Saban?? nbahahahahhahahahahahahah. The guy has a talent advantage in 95% of the games he coaches in because he can RECRUIT. he has no cap issues. how did Saban do in the NFL?
If you replaced NFL level coaches with HS uys.... yeah, it would be huge. But changing NFL guys with other NFL guys doesnt mean much to me. i think all of those guys know their stuff.

Throw out Billy boy, and dont talk to me about college coaches... thats apples and oranges, then start talking to me about all the GREAT coaches in the NFL... they will all have something in common.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
So far, looks better than what i expected.

Im learning towards MM now. lets see how it goes.

So far, off to a good start, hes taking this staff seriously obviously hes been thinking about this wanting to do it this way. I dont see him rushing his staff vs i believe this is what he would have assembled. I wasnt down wtth the hire at first, but gotta give him a chance.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You don't remember issues between McCarthy, Rogers and Favre wanting to reclaim his starting position?
sure I do... but it wasnt that hard. Favre was at the end of his career, Rodgers was at the beginning of his. Almost the same thing as Manning and Luck.It was easy to chose the young guy over the old guy.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tomsula..... fired after 1 season by niners
Fassel....uhm, according to wikipedia, he developer a punter and kicker
Nolan.....in his 3.5 years as head coach he avg about 4 wins

Im not saying these guys cant coach, im saying they will not be the reason we win or lose games. It is hilarious to me to see the excitement. Im all for excitement, but the real reason is because it is not JG. Its like the shiny new toy. All that excitement will be just like when Moore took over the offense. By week 8 or so, how great was the new toy working out?

Dak will be the reason we win or lose. We lost multiple games that were very close. 2 more plays in each game by dak, and we are probable 11-5 or 12-4.

By your logic...Dak was the reason we've been losing? You don't think some really good coaching can't win us some games? Off season, TC, preseason. in game coaching? I think coaching matters....it's complex sure.
But according to you, all this time only the players win or lose. Hmmm. mkay.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What is more important is that the coaching staff were assembled by Mike McCarthy. Not Jerry Jones but by Mike McCarthy.

That is the start of a new era, folks.

And it looks like they are going to retain Moore as OC which is a smart move. Great young mind that lead the #1 offense in football. I also like the fact, however, that McCarthy will be calling the plays for his offense. Moore will be able to learn from a REAL offensive mind and not the horror show that was Garrett.

Last edited:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No question players execute but execute what????????? Coaches playbook and designs.....w/o it player wouldn't have directions. Just think we have be careful undermining the importance of coaching and not just the X&Os.
these guys spend all day, everyday watching film. Hell, I could go watch plays over and over of great offenses and copy them. None of these guys are reinventing the wheel. At some point it comes down to a lineman kicking the guys arse that is across from him and a QB that can make honey out of a pile of crap.

Did you watch the eagles game this last weekend? 3rd and 16 for Wilson, the play was called, the defense stuffed it.,.. there was nothing there and wilson took off for 18 yards and a first down. That aint some great play call.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Well...that's all we got to go on for now. Your enthusiasm restraint is heroic.
lol. Been a fan a long time. My emotion for this team has been tempered by decades of failure by this FO and team. But, I am being as optimistic as I can at this point. I do like the hires thus far. Nolan worries me a bit just because his track record of being employed is not that good. Is this because he doesn't get a long with people? or something else?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
By your logic...Dak was the reason we've been losing? You don't think some really good coaching can't win us some games? Off season, TC, preseason. in game coaching? I think coaching matters....it's complex sure.
But according to you, all this time only the players win or lose. Hmmm. mkay.

Fans that don't value coaching don't understand the fundamentals of football. More than any other sport, it matters.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
lol. Been a fan a long time. My emotion for this team has been tempered by decades of failure by this FO and team. But, I am being as optimistic as I can at this point. I do like the hires thus far. Nolan worries me a bit just because his track record of being employed is not that good. Is this because he doesn't get a long with people? or something else?

Odd that you would even think that.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Fans that don't value coaching don't understand the fundamentals of football. More than any other sport, it matters.
like I said... if you replaced these NFL guys with HS coaches... sure it matters. But replacing one defensive line coach with 15 years of NFL experience with another defensive line coach with 15 years NFL experience wont make one bit of difference.
Coaching changes happen every season. Look at the last 3 seasons nfl head coaching changes. They all had staff's get revamped. Then look at how many of them have had amazing results. Its comical to me.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
I like it for the most part. Veteran coaches with good resumes picked by the actual coach and not JJ as far as I know. Not big on MM but he has a super bowl ring and knows what it’s all about. I am willing to give him plenty of leeway.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the worst that can be said of him is that his defenses played to their talent level. When he had players he had top 10 defenses. When he didn't they were mediocre. He never had GM power so you can't hang his roster quality on him.

That was my thought looking at his rankings and the defenses he was coordinating.

quickccc

Reaction score
Tomsula..... fired after 1 season by niners
Fassel....uhm, according to wikipedia, he developer a punter and kicker
Nolan.....in his 3.5 years as head coach he avg about 4 wins

Im not saying these guys cant coach, im saying they will not be the reason we win or lose games. It is hilarious to me to see the excitement. Im all for excitement, but the real reason is because it is not JG. Its like the shiny new toy. All that excitement will be just like when Moore took over the offense. By week 8 or so, how great was the new toy working out?

Dak will be the reason we win or lose. We lost multiple games that were very close. 2 more plays in each game by dak, and we are probable 11-5 or 12-4.

Should be more noted:
- Tomsula..... fired after 1 season by niners ( As a Head Coach,.. not as a DL coach)