Twitter: McCarthy is putting his mark on the Cowboys

John813

Reaction score
Here's what I believe. Jerry and Stephen listen to people they trust or like. They liked Rod. Rod told them he didn't have use for bigger DTs unless they were also quick twitch(like Vea Vita).

With Rod gone, I believe one of Nolan, Tomsula or McCarthy told the Jones's they need bigger DT's/more talent there. The market had some DT's willing to come here for not top dollar, which fit one of the coaches requests.

Good enough for me. Don't care who gets the credit.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes that would be very telling. I HIGHLY doubt that happens though

I agree. I think even with Frederick's retirement, they still have a good group of candidates to choose from. I might see a cheap veteran guard signed as insurance (like a Ron Leary), but a high draft pick this year on an offensive lineman would shock me.

leeblair

Reaction score
Too little, too late for what?
I think the enthusiasm for the Cowboys is dead from the truest fans in the Cowboys base.
10 years of Jerry slapping the fans in the face with Jason Garrett has dulled what once was a passionate base.
Now, even though Garrett is gone, we are still saddled with the quarterback Garrett thought would save his job- a guy who never had to earn his position and who is so naive like Garrett that he thinks he should be paid despite his underachieving at the position.
Greatness disappeared from this franchise long ago, and even though Garrett is gone the team is still prisoner to Garrett's supposed "wonderboy" at quarterback.
While I am excited about what McCarthy brings and the moves made by the team since, to see them mortgage the franchise on an 8-8 quarterback who acts as if winning or losing is not his responsibility makes me sick.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Good - it's about damn time the stench of Garrett is removed and forgotten.

Yep. Some people don't realize how toxic Garrett was to this team. I know Jerry and Stephen are the most toxic but that won't change so it's best to have a coach who can make his own mark. Garrett was not that at all. He was god awful. At every single thing he did. Spare me that he was a good rah rah guy during the week and the players liked him. Of course they liked him. He did not demand any accountability at all and they could really do what they please. You pay coaches to actually influence the game on gameday and draw up gameplans, not being some rah rah cheerleader to the players.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You had me until that bit at the end about Gregory. "Year before last" isn't a casual phrase to use when it comes to the NFL.

I wasn't all that high on him initially, but I keep getting the feeling that K'Lavon Chaisson continues to rise up the Cowboys draft board.
Interesting player that could fall in a weak DE class, Chaisson currently ranked as the 2nd DE off the board behind Chase Young.
Just throwing this out there Stash.. and why your mention of him sparked my interest to post this.
K'Lavon Chaisson
Height 6'4"
Weight 254
Arm 32.25
Hand 9.88
Projected 40 4.69 (didnt work out at the combine)

Jalen Jelks
Height 6'5"
Weight 260
Arm 34 5/8
Hand 9 5/8
40 4.92

Long-limbed edge worker who might be best suited as a 3-4 outside linebacker unless he can add much needed strength and mass. As a junior interior defender, Jelks was often physically outmatched, but he showed the tenacity and talent to still be productive and disruptive. Some teams will struggle with where he fits from a position standpoint, but he could challenge for reps early in his career as a designated pass rusher along the interior in sub-packages.

Yes Jalen was a 7th round pick and Chaisson will no doubt go somewhere in the first round of this Aprils draft, but very similar bios and having Chaisson sitting on the board still at 17 could be a fast track to a 3-4 base defense.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
bennett proved last year there can be plenty of gas in the tank of 30+ year old d-linemen. poe and McCoy should be just fine.
30 yrd old men that weigh 330lbs can knock down most RBs in the NFL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting player that could fall in a weak DE class, Chaisson currently ranked as the 2nd DE off the board behind Chase Young.
Just throwing this out there Stash.. and why your mention of him sparked my interest to post this.
K'Lavon Chaisson
Height 6'4"
Weight 254
Arm 32.25
Hand 9.88
Projected 40 4.69 (didnt work out at the combine)

Jalen Jelks
Height 6'5"
Weight 260
Arm 34 5/8
Hand 9 5/8
40 4.92
Long-limbed edge worker who might be best suited as a 3-4 outside linebacker unless he can add much needed strength and mass. As a junior interior defender, Jelks was often physically outmatched, but he showed the tenacity and talent to still be productive and disruptive. Some teams will struggle with where he fits from a position standpoint, but he could challenge for reps early in his career as a designated pass rusher along the interior in sub-packages.

Yes Jalen was a 7th round pick and Chaisson will no doubt go somewhere in the first round of this Aprils draft, but very similar bios and having Chaisson sitting on the board still at 17 could be a fast track to a 3-4 base defense.

Interesting measurables comparison. But I think it's no contest when it comes to movement.

It's just my opinion, but I think there's Young.................Chaisson.............................................................................................................................. and then everybody else.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Interesting measurables comparison. But I think it's no contest when it comes to movement.

It's just my opinion, but I think there's Young.................Chaisson.............................................................................................................................. and then everybody else.
I totally agree,, was only comparing the Bios,, there was a reason why Jelks fell to the 7th round.
I wasn't saying we already have a Chaisson on the roster, I was saying that if we drafted him, Jelks might be able to fast track to the bookend OLB..
Long shot, I agree, but this team has taken bigger gambles,, I will leave the talent evaluation to MM and staff.
Jelks success would go a long way in removing the bad taste left by a bad Taco.
Not to mention that we would instantly transcend to a position of strength at NT rather than
a possible weakness at DT.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I totally agree,, was only comparing the Bios,, there was a reason why Jelks fell to the 7th round.
I wasn't saying we already have a Chaisson on the roster, I was saying that if we drafted him, Jelks might be able to fast track to the bookend OLB..
Long shot, I agree, but this team has taken bigger gambles,, I will leave the talent evaluation to MM and staff.
Jelks success would go a long way in removing the bad taste left by a bad Taco.
Not to mention that we would instantly transcend to a position of strength at NT rather than
a possible weakness at DT.

I put no stock in talk of running the 3-4 defense. I think that they may try to add more versatility to the defense (couldn't manage to do less!), but that won't include any switching to the 3-4. I think as far as they will go will be a slimmer, designated rusher type added to the field and some sets where they rush a designated five players. This thing called a 'blitz' may come back, since it wasn't in the Marinelli playbook.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's what I believe. Jerry and Stephen listen to people they trust or like. They liked Rod. Rod told them he didn't have use for bigger DTs unless they were also quick twitch(like Vea Vita).

With Rod gone, I believe one of Nolan, Tomsula or McCarthy told the Jones's they need bigger DT's/more talent there. The market had some DT's willing to come here for not top dollar, which fit one of the coaches requests.

Good enough for me. Don't care who gets the credit.

Yes. That's not what you think it's what you know.

By the way, you just admitted your GM and Director of Player Personnel are empty vessels unable to contribute anything of value in the positions they fill.

MikeB80

Reaction score
He spent a year hold up in his office studying the league and its traits and trends. He surrounded himself with people preparing for his next job.

His year of studying has led to signing Aldon Smith.

his mark seems to be exactly like jerry and stephen's mark. funny how that works. Can't wait till he call's jerry a wheeler dealer.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I just hope there is a season.....
this is the very kind of luck that follows Dallas Sports the last 10yrs,

The Mavs and Stars were finally poised to make run in the playoffs, The Rangers Grand opening of a new stadium and some players ready to make push, and the DC Finally got rid of Garett and Marinelli pick up nice FA and Fate

Says Nah heres covid19 you are all done.. :(:oops: