Twitter: McCarthy is putting his mark on the Cowboys

GenoT

Reaction score
What about Ha Ha Dix? What about letting Witten go? What about anointing Jarwin the starting TE? What about signing the blocking TE? What about Cooper? What about saying Dak is the man? He's done a lot more than just sign 2 30 year old DT's. Don't be that guy. You're better than that usually.
Gotta say, Rocky, that MMc might be the final piece to the puzzle.

He’s been given full control of the coaching staff, and likely wouldn’t have taken this job if he didn’t think he could work with this FO (principally, WMc and SJ, who themselves have developed a good working relationship).

Due to our current reality, am not sure how this upcoming season will play out, but I can’t recall a season in recent years where I’ve felt more positive going forward.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He's the head coach, how could he not put his mark on the Cowboys. He is expected to put his mark on the Cowboys or he isn't doing his job. His influence on the FO decisions is where he can make a huge mark. The draft needs to reflect the head coach's vision for where the Cowboys are going and Jerry and Stephen need to respect McCarthy's insight.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
he or the team played well? Romo was essentially the OC out there...and the only thing that held them back was a crappy defense...Not sure Garrett did much ...as for 2016...well having the best line and the best rb in the league certainly helped. once teams had to focus on Zeke , it made the passing game a lot easier for a mobile qb. as crazy as it is to say..I think Linehan played a big role in 2016...
Well I think he had the team prepared from week to week in 2014 and 2016. They didn't look lost.

And losing Romo for the season and having a rookie quarterback come in in 2016 is probably his best coaching year to date. Actually I know it is. To that point he couldn't do anything without Romo.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He's the head coach, how could he not put his mark on the Cowboys. He is expected to put his mark on the Cowboys or he isn't doing his job. His influence on the FO decisions is where he can make a huge mark. The draft needs to reflect the head coach's vision for where the Cowboys are going and Jerry and Stephen need to respect McCarthy's insight.
I agree. I think how they approach the draft is the true test. Not saying they have to be his picks but his voice needs to be heard.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This piece is overstatement galore but we are all excited to see a new Coach in Dallas so it's very understandable.

DAL has still trolled the coasts in free agency as oppose to making any deep dives.
We are staring at large draft pick comp because we lost a lot more than we gained in terms of dollars spent and players moving along.
This is all normal.
DAL still sat out the early part of FA while their UDFA guys were gone fast.

Realistically, the only clear McCarthy moves would be the Witten adios and signing Haha(cheaper than Heath so hardly a big move or real commitment to the position).

The DL moves are welcomed but almost certainly come from the new DC. Need more size there. Depth still to come hopefully.

MM does bring legit optimism.

Might be time to applaud to the organizational plan that saw this all happen in lock step with so many free agents and near blank slate (after the foundational pieces) for the new Coach . Then again last year's lame duck season for a staff that was expired like Joe Exotics' Walmart meat was so poor this correcting of that wrong was long overdue.

Football can never come too soon but given this pandemic it is more needed than ever.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ehhh.....I hate to be that guy but all he did was sign 2 30 year old defensive tackles and let 2 of his best defensive players from last season go. Granted, I have no problem with this but those departures and additions probably have more to do with the Cowboys than him.

But I already know what this is. Fluff piece while we are in the honeymoon phase.

Yep. I’m trying not to rain on the McCarthy parade too much, because it’s nice that people are excited, but this offseason hasn’t been a departure from what we normally see anyway, except that the body types of the players we’re looking for has changed a bit. We’ve signed value veteran FAs to plug expensive holes in the roster prior to the draft, where we’ll fill with talent.

The biggest change has been in ST, where Jerry was willing to do a long term deal on a good coordinator that he wasn’t willing to do previously with Garrett on a one year deal. He skimped there and at OC, and it hurt us on ST and paid off on offense. But that’s not really on the coaches. That’s on Jerry.

stuckindc

Reaction score
If nothing else...someone that will game plan accordingly for that weeks opponent ...rather than just lining up and running the same plays with the thought of beating your man like the 90's teams did.. Actually identifying and attacking the other teams weaknesses...How many times did many of us lament the predictability of our play calling.? Slamming Zeke up the middle on first down...etc. In one of the other threads it discussed how the Colts, then the Rams out schemed us ..Ran all over our defense...Or the other area that gets beaten into the ground...Making game time adjustments!!!. If MM does just that alone...we will be markedly better. Addressing the Special Teams??

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imagine what a real coach/ Staff would have done with the 2014 & 2016 team?!

Even last year's team. There was never a year with such a talented roster, poor divisional competition, a weak schedule, and good overall team health.

Arguably the most favorable year in team history, squandered, like everything else, under Garrett.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In his minor defense......those were actually the years he coached well. Probably his best years. I have no problem with those years. It was the 8-8 years and the 4 win season I had a problem with.

Until they got to the playoffs, and then he and his staff crapped the bed like they always do and stopped doing what they did well.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
With no Marinelli and no Garrett we are already better than last years team. Doesn't matter who we put on the field, we're better now. We just need to pick up a couple of pieces on the OLine and in the secondary in this draft.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
He'll need to make an impressive showing as oc of the giants for him to ever be considered head coaching material again.
That's what I think too. Certainly not out of the realm of the possibility. A lot of times they reinvent themselves a bit in a different role and people forget about the bad stuff. My favorite one is how Gruden was actually fired for screwing up the Bucs QB situation but a few years later not only did people forget, he was actually a quarterback guru all of a sudden.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah no argument there. He reared his ugly head in the playoffs for sure.

It was like they outsmarted themselves.

"Sure, we ran all over these guys the last time we played, but that's what they'll be expecting, so we're going to line up and throw the ball all over the place, they'll never see that coming!"
:facepalm:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Gotta say, Rocky, that MMc might be the final piece to the puzzle.

He’s been given full control of the coaching staff, and likely wouldn’t have taken this job if he didn’t think he could work with this FO (principally, WMc and SJ, who themselves have developed a good working relationship).

Due to our current reality, am not sure how this upcoming season will play out, but I can’t recall a season in recent years where I’ve felt more positive going forward.
Yes I'm really looking forward to see how MM's mark on the team plays out on the field. With Garret, I never had this kind of hope although I tried like hell.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With no Marinelli and no Garrett we are already better than last years team. Doesn't matter who we put on the field, we're better now. We just need to pick up a couple of pieces on the OLine and in the secondary in this draft.

OLine or did you mean DLine?
:huh:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It was like they outsmarted themselves.

"Sure, we ran all over these guys the last time we played, but that's what they'll be expecting, so we're going to line up and throw the ball all over the place, they'll never see that coming!"
:facepalm:
Yeah and there's a lot of this in the NFL. I don't know if its a ego thing where they don't want the fans to look right or they don't want to make it look as if the fans are running the team. I really think a lot of head coaches do dumb moves simply to be the smartest guy in the room which is moronic.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah and there's a lot of this in the NFL. I don't know if its a ego thing where they don't want the fans to look right or they don't want to make it look as if the fans are running the team. I really think a lot of head coaches do dumb moves simply to be the smartest guy in the room which is moronic.

I think that this was a particular issue with this team because it was a flaw in the head coach's overall philosophies. Garrett was always a conservative, non-confrontational type. That's his character. And it influenced a lot of his beliefs and preferences. As a result, I think you got bend but don't break preferences for his defense, and point of least resistance on offense. What did we hear ad nauseam about the offense? 'Take what the defense gives you'. Don't go out there and dictate to the opponent, let each and every opponent dictate to you. That's the opposite of confident, it's the opposite of aggressive. But that's Garrett to a "T".

And again, the defense was the same thing, a bland, predictable, bend but don't break philosophy that refused to be innovative, creative, or attacking.

https://cdn.***BLOCKED***/app/uploads/2020/03/25232940/Screen-Shot-2020-03-25-at-10.29.23-PM.png

Thankfully, I think that mindset left town when they did and we're about to get a whole lot more creative and aggressive on both sides of the ball.

johneric8

Reaction score
Yep. I’m trying not to rain on the McCarthy parade too much, because it’s nice that people are excited, but this offseason hasn’t been a departure from what we normally see anyway, except that the body types of the players we’re looking for has changed a bit. We’ve signed value veteran FAs to plug expensive holes in the roster prior to the draft, where we’ll fill with talent.

The biggest change has been in ST, where Jerry was willing to do a long term deal on a good coordinator that he wasn’t willing to do previously with Garrett on a one year deal. He skimped there and at OC, and it hurt us on ST and paid off on offense. But that’s not really on the coaches. That’s on Jerry.

You're either delusional or have some sort of underlying bias that makes you irrational. Saying, and I quote you- "this offseason hasn’t been a departure from what we normally see" is one of the most misinformed statements I've heard yet.
And to top it off, you say the biggest change is in special teams! Sure special teams have been upgraded with a new coach, but there hasn't been a player overhaul yet, so how can you say that hiring Fassell is the biggest deviation from the norm when you're talking about a guy Jerry Jones whom just allowed the ENTIRE coaching staff to be about dismantled and replaced?

I would say that getting guys in that can help the middle of our defense, and a safety by the name of HA HA, shows that more than just hiring john fassel is on the menue. I mean, we've been screaming for these types of moves for years!
For the life of me I can't see how you can point to ST being the only departure from the norm. Sure, I get we signed Quinn last year and he was pretty good, but the whole philosophy of how the cowboys are going about things is notably different.
If you ask me what the biggest difference is, I would have to say that us being players in the first wave of free agency is the biggest out of the box move besides Jerry finally canning the freckled puppet and hiring a super bowl winning coach.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thankfully, the two men most responsible for the coaches overruling the scouts - Marinelli and Garrett - were both fired and can no longer ruin the draft process.
I can’t believe Coach Marinelli. Was allowed to choose. I don’t want don’t know about taco was it just Jason and they didn’t like him . Anyways totally agree