News: McCarthy on the hot seat in 2021?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
He should be, that team was pitiful last season. Still not sure what MM brings to the table tbh. He was thought to be average when hired, and right now he's below average. JJ looked around the parking lot and found a coach, the search could've been a little more exhaustive to say the least.

Someone mentioned above, JJ hates paying fired coaches (esp that HC money) so doubt he will go anywhere unless we bottom out again.

Last edited:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Hot seat doesn't start until you have a team capable of making the playoffs miss the playoffs....or a team capable of winning in the playoffs not win in the playoffs....or a team capable of making it to the Superbowl not make it to the Superbowl.

Truth is when Dak went down despite us wanting to accomplish some of the above goals; no one in the organization thought that if we didnt reach these goals that the season would be a failure. This is not my opinion this is what we heard from JJ and SJ. No hot seat for Little Mac.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
MM was dealt a particularly poor hand in his season with Dallas. From the pandemic that spoiled valuable offseason reps to catastrophic injuries that irreparably maimed the team’s competitive chances.

But there were times when MM left much to be desired. Jerry is on a win now mode or be replaced!

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
MM was dealt a particularly poor hand in his season with Dallas. From the pandemic that spoiled valuable offseason reps to catastrophic injuries that irreparably maimed the team’s competitive chances.

But there were times when MM left much to be desired. Jerry is on a win now mode or be replaced!
That is true, we forget if he had Dak we cruise into the playoffs and likely rejoice that the Garrett curse is gone. So the warts on this team could be hidden quite easily tbh if Dak stays healthy. I don't see much in him, but don't see JJ giving the reigns to attract a different level of HC either.

So these are the coaches we have to invest in, and will try to be a little more positive with MM; I initially loved the Garrett hire (Princeton had me thinking NE Offense, he was part of the Dynasty, etc.) so little hypocritical of me to go scorched earth on MM; you had one year already, now get out! lol :p

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
It depends.
It depends on the Cowboys record next year.
It depends on how the new coaches in the NFL did. How did Meyer do? Soriani? Campbell? And the others? If the rookie coaches perform better then change might be warranted.
It depends on who is available and at what price.
It depends on if Jerry wants to eat 3 guaranteed years on a contract and lose around $20-25M.

My guess is that McCarthy will be here for at least the next two years.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
It doesn’t really matter. It’s not like Jethro will replace him with a HC that’s he’s going to allow making a difference .

If we’re depending on coaching to turn the tide here we’ve already lost the battle. We are a talent dependent franchise.
To the fullest, we won with Barry Switzer eating hot dogs on the sideline (I know that was the pro-bowl) but you're spot on; almost like the coaches didn't need to be there and they would've still won Superbowl XXX. Not since BP have we won games above our talent level.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To the fullest, we won with Barry Switzer eating hot dogs on the sideline (I know that was the pro-bowl) but you're spot on; almost like the coaches didn't need to be there and they would've still won Superbowl XXX. Not since BP have we won games above our talent level.
Yep. And Garrett had a couple good years but he never received the credit except for year he won coach of the year.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

I guess everything has to go well for MM to succeed ...

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Yep. And Garrett had a couple good years but he never received the credit except for year he won coach of the year.
Let's be real, that was the real elephant in the room all season. He looked worse than Garrett ever did. We (including myself definitely) were so ready for anyone else, we forgot that it could be worse. And it was...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Let's be real, that was the real elephant in the room all season. He looked worse than Garrett ever did. We (including myself definitely) were so ready for anyone else, we forgot that it could be worse. And it was...
Yea, some of those early decisions and risk Mikey took were some of the dumbest I’ve ever seen at any level. But after I thought the team had quit on him they finally begin to play hard again winning a few games to stay in contention albeit our horrid division provided the opportunity.

The way we finished the season provides a glimmer of hope. But another slow start could trigger a reaction. I think assuming Dak is our QB and healthy we will be expected to win our division. And if we don’t then his future will be in question. It’s the same bar we had for Garrett.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Yea, some of those early decisions and risk Mikey took were some of the dumbest I’ve ever seen at any level. But after I thought the team had quit on him they finally begin to play hard again winning a few games to stay in contention albeit our horrid division provided the opportunity.

But the way we finished the season provides a glimmer of hope. But another slow start could trigger a reaction. I think assuming Dak is our QB and healthy we will be expected to win our division. And if we don’t then his future will be in question. It’s the same bar we had for Garrett.
Agreed, they did win some games after I had really written him off (after the Watermelon thing) so am not tuned out on him. Like I said, I gave JG almost too much of a pass early on, so have to be more realistic about MM's tenure (good or bad).

You're right that the team was on the uptick and seemed to show up again after quitting in that WAS game..some credit has to go to him for that...many times you can't get that locker room back but he seemed to get them focused again.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Does it really matter?

They will still continue to mix and match players and coaches and schemes with no overall plan.

Changes are made when Jerry can no longer sell hope on his own.

Wouldn't at all shock me if MM is fired but Quinn is kept on because Jerry "likes where the defense is headed," then forces him on the new HC....who would probably be Moore anyway.

If 2021 went SO bad as to need to fire MM, why in the WORLD would you keep both coordinators around??

But something like that is a total Jerry move.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Does it really matter?

They will still continue to mix and match players and coaches and schemes with no overall plan.

Changes are made when Jerry can no longer sell hope on his own.

Wouldn't at all shock me if MM is fired but Quinn is kept on because Jerry "likes where the defense is headed," then forces him on the new HC....who would probably be Moore anyway.

If 2021 went SO bad as to need to fire MM, why in the WORLD would you keep both coordinators around??

But something like that is a total Jerry move.
I think it’s more likely we’d see Moore promoted in that event .

I sense McCarthy will rebound next year . Win division or make it as a WC and calm the waters for a year. But it will all be dependent on signing Dak.

Mr_437

Reaction score
McCarthy was horrible this past season, just him and his decisions. Regardless, of the team being talent deficient Mike compounded the problems. Of course, dude is on the hot seat.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
McCarthy was horrible this past season, just him and his decisions. Regardless, of the team being talent deficient Mike compounded the problems. Of course, dude is on the hot seat.
Yeah..

And there is a very talent college coach in Oklahoma who recently stated he would only go to the pros if the Cowboys wanted him.

If we are rebuilding..I take him and let Big Mike go.

We had a shot at Urban Meyer who wanted to come to Dallas and Jerrah had already hired McCarthy.

Jerrah as we all know is not much of a GM and never will be.

So expect little.

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
Probably. Nowdays, ANY coach is “on the hot seat” if they’re not a playoff contender part way through their second year. Additionally, they could win a SB, but if they’re out of the playoffs two or three years later, forget it! You won’t see anymore Jeff Fishers or Marvin Lewis type coaches—no long rebuilds. Fans and GMs are more impatient than ever, and the very second profits slow...watch out!

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Any coach that fails to get his team to the playoffs for two consecutive years should automatically be on the hot seat.

MikeB80

Reaction score
It will be fun to see how many games he loses based on his decisions during games this year. He cost the team two games in 2020.

He is not a good head coach. I am really glad I don’t care anymore or this guy would drive me crazy.