News: McCarthy on the hot seat in 2021?

Beaker42

Reaction score
I'm disposed to thinking Big Mike will be somewhat on a short leash, although, unsure as to just how short it's likely to be. I think he'll get this year and perhaps another, to prove how adept or else, ineffective he'll actually be. I see the upcoming season to be a bit more advantageous than last year was, although, that remains to yet be tested. Hopefully, decent progress will be achieved, without expecting anything too "Super" to be in store. Let's say a division championship would surely be seen as significant progress. Anything more should rightly be seen as altogether magnificent. ;)

OTOH, anything less than a winning season could possibly be something pretty tough for MM to withstand. :eek:
This season will be make or break for him. He already proved he isn’t the guy so if this team does win it’ll be on talent alone. The coaching will be an obstacle instead of a help. Not holding my breath since Jerry is the 2nd worst owner in the NFL and worst GM. Only Bad Haircut Boy from Vegas is a worse owner but Jerry’s right on him.

Beaker42

Reaction score
MM was dealt a particularly poor hand in his season with Dallas. From the pandemic that spoiled valuable offseason reps to catastrophic injuries that irreparably maimed the team’s competitive chances.

But there were times when MM left much to be desired. Jerry is on a win now mode or be replaced!
Many MM decisions and clock mismanagement defied the laws of sound coaching.

cowboyec

Reaction score
no.
give him the length of his deal.
extend him if we've won.
move on if we haven't.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I think MM has to show up during games to stay off of any hot seat. He needs to do all of the the regular get the team prepared stuff, but he also needs to outwit the other HC if/when things go South.
His fat azz isn’t capable of out coaching anyone. Just like someone else put in a job he can’t do, our HC spent a year in his basement.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I never wanted MM in the first place, but how many games was he supposed to win with Gilbert, DiNucci, and Dalton playing QB, two undrafted rookies playing tackle, and the usual soft Cowboys defense?

People want to believe the Cowboys players are better than they are in reality.
TBH Gilbert should’ve stated the rest of the season after his win. No other team would’ve inserted Dalton back into the starting lineup.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This season will be make or break for him. He already proved he isn’t the guy so if this team does win it’ll be on talent alone. The coaching will be an obstacle instead of a help. Not holding my breath since Jerry is the 2nd worst owner in the NFL and worst GM. Only Bad Haircut Boy from Vegas is a worse owner but Jerry’s right on him.

Jerry isn't too disposed to switching HCs on the basis of two years, although, an exception is surely possible. We'll see what 2021 has to offer. If McCarthy shows any indication of improvement, it's not hard to see the FO choosing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

OTOH, another year of the horrendous failings of last year could also prove fatal, though. Anything's possible -- especially with the absurd number of festering defensive problems that await resolution. I really don't envy Dan Quinn's situation, in view of his burden to overcome such a mess.

Last edited: