Twitter: McCarthy to go easier on the team down the stretch

cowboyed

Reaction score
For all we know the practices in place could be harder than what players on most teams undergo, particularly since we have ratcheted up run stopping.

ESisback

Reaction score
If you are going to physically practice for a shorter period of time there is less time to correct the physical mistakes was point I was going for. I need these guys to clean up their pre-snap errors like false starts, illegal motion, etc.. I understand those are also mental mistakes but don't think just talking about them will fix them.

If you are going to physically practice for a shorter period of time there is less time to correct the physical mistakes was point I was going for. I need these guys to clean up their pre-snap errors like false starts, illegal motion, etc.. I don't think just talking about those will fix them.

Vicious hitting in practice going into the stretch run is more likely to make some players physically weaker. Work smarter. Mental awareness among players is probably somewhere around 80%. The rest is likely how refs interpret the rules, injury and circumstance.

JBond

Reaction score
I don’t think some of you understand how important recovery is for guys playing this sport.

You feel good and you’ll play good.

Exactly. I remember some practices called early if the game plan was installed, but players were getting a bit chippy with each other. We still kept our edge. We were ready to knock the snot out someone, anyone.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
This is precisely why we don’t win anything. Champions are dedicated, possess a single-mindedness and purpose towards a common goal;,they hold themselves accountable to a standard when others don’t..

MM must have picked this strategy up from either Coach Belichick or Coach Jerry…I’m going to guess it’s the latter.

When the Patriots clinch a first-round bye, Belichick has historically given the team an entire day off and taken them out bowling, or to see a movie.

I know, I know.. "BUT JIMMAH!"

nobody

Reaction score
Here's a hint, both in the present and the past, no player was gonna play for free. They played for the love of the game is a myth.

Nobody said they wanted to play for free. You can play for a payday while also playing because you love the game. Look at Parsons. There are tons of examples out there, including players that made the bank but aged out and even though they could have retired from the sport entirely decided to go into coaching or broadcasting to stick with the game somehow.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
More time studying their opponent and less time hitting each other. They’ve also got 17 games to worry about now. I’m ok with it as long as the study time is just as intense. At this level fundamentals should not be an issue the last 1/3 of the season.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Health is most important, if the coach has a finger on the pulse of the team and sees that many guys are dealing with nagging injuries then by all means configure the practice schedule to allow them to get better collectively.

I’m of the opinion that at this point in the season the practice focus is more schematic than physical. If that’s true I don’t have any issue with the idea.
Good points. It’s November and they’re not going to get in any better shape. They will still be practicing plays and at the same time get more healing rest.

817Gill

Reaction score
Good points. It’s November and they’re not going to get in any better shape. They will still be practicing plays and at the same time get more healing rest.
Exactly, it’s about managing wear and tear at this point. Lock in schematically/discipline-wise and make sure the body is right.