McClay Leads the Division in Drafting Pro Bowl Players

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or how many times Marinelli took a guy like Terrell McClain off their living room couch and turned them into a solid player - without the team spending any draft pick at all.

Marinelli's specialty is turning other teams trash into treasure. It is not evaluating college talent.

I hated the Taco pick and I hate the tristy hill pick even more. These are spots in the draft you have to get a starter.

Trendnet

Reaction score
If you could hit on 7 horses out of 8, win 7 hands of poker out of 8, win 7 lotteries out of 8 tickets you should be happy. But apparently not everyone.

Interesting this is almost exactly what's happening here.

Of the last 9 first round picks, 7 have been pro bowlers with 5 of them being an All-Pro at least once.

But you know, you can only talk about the failures otherwise your just a blind homer making excuses.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Marinelli's specialty is turning other teams trash into treasure. It is not evaluating college talent.

I hated the Taco pick and I hate the tristy hill pick even more. These are spots in the draft you have to get a starter.

Taco was a disaster and you are right about Marinelli's best work being guys like Terrell McClain and Antwuan Woods, but DLaw was a 2nd round pick that turn into a top 5 DE, Rod gets some credit for that as well.

Maliek Collins has played very well for a 3rd round pick when he has been healthy, Marinelli gets some credit for him as well.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Taco was a disaster and you are right about Marinelli's best work being guys like Terrell McClain and Antwuan Woods, but DLaw was a 2nd round pick that turn into a top 5 DE, Rod gets some credit for that as well.

Maliek Collins has played very well for a 3rd round pick when he has been healthy, Marinelli gets some credit for him as well.

It took DLAW 4 years to pan out to the point where we would consider giving him a second contract. Thats why we franchised him. He'd only been good for about a year when it was time to re-sign him.

My issue is taking projects in rounds 1 and 2. The reason being there is a salary cap and you have to get production on rookie contracts b/c you can pay everyone at once.

Maliek is a JAG. He has a good game here and there but no consistency.

Trendnet

Reaction score
Or in my case, I'm a blind homer spewing propaganda worthy of Joseph Goebbels.

Well maybe you need to start holding "them accountable" for their failures, instead of spouting propaganda.

Who "them" are in this scenario is anyone's guess.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Or the Iraqi Information Minister.
taco-charlton-is.jpg

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Glad to hear that. I'm not screaming that Garrett and Marinelli "need to be fired today!" that's clearly not going to happen, nor should it. But neither should this mistake, nor the roles both played in it, be minimized or forgotten. It needs to be added to the resumes of both guys and factored in when the final decisions are made after the season.

So if the bad pick gets factored in at the end of the year, do all the good picks get factored in as well? I would think that all the all pro, pro bowl and overall good players taken since 2011 would be fare greater than the one bad pick.

1st - 3rd round players since 2011:

Tyrone Smith
Bruce Carter
DeMarco Murray
Morris Claiborne
Tyrone Crawford
Travis Fredrick
Gavin Escobar
Terrance Williams
JJ. Wilcox
Zack Martin
Demarcus Lawrence
Byron Jones
Randy Gregory
Chaz Green
Zeke Elliott
Jaylon Smith
Maliek Collins
Taco Charlton
Chidobe Awuzie
Jourdan Lewis
Leighton Vandere Esch
Conner Williams
Michael Gallup
Tryston Hill
Connor McGovern.

So out of that list, I would say the good FAR out weigh the bad, so Garrett should be good at the end of the year, if we factor in all the picks during his tenure, not cherry picking the one that a pet cat didn't get drafted in.

I get it, your pet cat didn't get drafted and you can't let it go. But if you have any objective bone in your body, you have to admit the drafts have been pretty good since Garrett became HC. Sure they miss on some, as does everyone but again, players fail for various reasons, in Taco's case, it was not playing ability, it was only wanting to play the position he wanted to play. And since we had Lawerence in that position, he never really got on board with being a team player and he was cut. It wasn't that he doesn't have the talent, he didn't have the want to.

But yes, let's hold everyone accountable... forget all the other good they do or have done, they missed on Taco, so let's just clean house and fire everyone from Jerry down to the equipment manager, because that will make us better.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
How so, who's the last Cowboys 1st round draft pick to bust as badly as Taco did since Rod Hill in 1982? 37 years ago.

I'll wait....
Mike Sherrard. Was injury related but bust nonetheless.

And initially you said in the league, not the Cowboys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So if the bad pick gets factored in at the end of the year, do all the good picks get factored in as well? I would think that all the all pro, pro bowl and overall good players taken since 2011 would be fare greater than the one bad pick.

1st - 3rd round players since 2011:

Tyrone Smith
Bruce Carter
DeMarco Murray
Morris Claiborne
Tyrone Crawford
Travis Fredrick
Gavin Escobar
Terrance Williams
JJ. Wilcox
Zack Martin
Demarcus Lawrence
Byron Jones
Randy Gregory
Chaz Green
Zeke Elliott
Jaylon Smith
Maliek Collins
Taco Charlton
Chidobe Awuzie
Jourdan Lewis
Leighton Vandere Esch
Conner Williams
Michael Gallup
Tryston Hill
Connor McGovern.

So out of that list, I would say the good FAR out weigh the bad, so Garrett should be good at the end of the year, if we factor in all the picks during his tenure, not cherry picking the one that a pet cat didn't get drafted in.

I get it, your pet cat didn't get drafted and you can't let it go. But if you have any objective bone in your body, you have to admit the drafts have been pretty good since Garrett became HC. Sure they miss on some, as does everyone but again, players fail for various reasons, in Taco's case, it was not playing ability, it was only wanting to play the position he wanted to play. And since we had Lawerence in that position, he never really got on board with being a team player and he was cut. It wasn't that he doesn't have the talent, he didn't have the want to.

But yes, let's hold everyone accountable... forget all the other good they do or have done, they missed on Taco, so let's just clean house and fire everyone from Jerry down to the equipment manager, because that will make us better.

Yes, it ALL gets factored in.

I'm the guy willing to talk about ALL of it. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

But I can talk about the bust that is Taco without having to divert the subject by pointing to everything someone has done in the past as this thread creation tries to do.

Again, this is like a child telling you everything good they've ever done when they get in trouble. Just that. Childish.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Yes, it ALL gets factored in.

I'm the guy willing to talk about ALL of it. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

But I can talk about the bust that is Taco without having to divert the subject by pointing to everything someone has done in the past as this thread creation tries to do.

Again, this is like a child telling you everything good they've ever done when they get in trouble. Just that. Childish.

Ok Great. So you are on board with a Garrett extension.. good news!