McShay: 2019 NFL draft's best at everything, sleepers and more

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/i...raft-best-everything-sleepers-prospects-watch

Biggest arm QB
Drew Lock, Missouri

Lock's huge arm is really electric. The ball just jumps as he effortlessly throws downfield with velocity. I like the trajectory and placement on his deep balls. He had an FBS-best 20.3 percent off-target percentage on passes 20-plus yards downfield in 2018.

Most accurate QB
Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State

Haskins' 70.0 completion percentage was fourth best in college football last season. He is the purest pocket passer in the class, showing excellent natural touch and anticipation.

Best QB at reading the defense
Ryan Finley, NC State

I love Finley's fast eyes. He gets through his progressions quickly, then gets the ball out on time when he finds his spot. His poise in the pocket and ability to sense pressure will help him develop in the NFL.

Best contact-balance RB
David Montgomery, Iowa State

Montgomery runs with great effort, and his balance allows him to break tackles and keep moving upfield. About two-thirds of his 1,216 rushing yards came after first contact in 2018, averaging 3.1 yards per carry after contact. Alexander Mattison of Boise State also deserves acknowledgement here, gaining 748 yards after contact.

Best vision/patience RB
Trayveon Williams, Texas A&M

Williams' 736 yards before first contact ranked third in the nation, as he averaged 2.7 such yards per carry. He is especially strong at reading blocks and waiting for the holes.

Best pass-pro RB
Elijah Holyfield, Georgia

Georgia QB Jake Fromm was pressured on just 21.7 percent of his dropbacks when the Bulldogs had at least one running back on the field in 2018, the seventh-lowest figure. That's partly because of Holyfield's awareness and strength in pass protection.

Best pass-catching RB
Darrell Henderson, Memphis

Henderson had zero drops in 2018 and gained 15.8 yards after the catch per reception. He is highly reliable catching the ball, running mostly outlet and underneath routes. Henderson can pluck on the run and quickly transition upfield.

Best run-blocking TE
Drew Sample, Washington

At 6-foot-4 and 255 pounds, Sample is good in blocking overall. The Huskies' Myles Gaskin excelled when Sample was on the field this season.

Best route-runner TE
T.J. Hockenson, Iowa

My top-ranked tight end is a naturally instinctive route runner, using his body and hands to help separate at the top of the stem. Hockenson's 760 receiving yards in 2018 ranked fourth best for the position.

Best hands TE
T.J. Hockenson, Iowa

Hockenson also gets my "best hands tight end" accolade. He shows great focus in traffic and the ability to make tough catches away from his frame. Displaying a very good catch radius, he caught 74.2 percent of his 66 targets last year.

Best after-the-catch TE
Irv Smith Jr., Alabama

Smith has 4.63 speed to separate from linebackers vertically and accelerates well, constantly carrying big-play potential. His 8.5 yards after the catch per reception was tied for fifth among tight ends.

Best red zone WR
JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Stanford

The 6-foot-2 receiver's nine red zone touchdowns tied for third in the FBS last season. He has the ability to go up and get 50-50 balls.

Best slot WR
A.J. Brown, Ole Miss

This is a toss-up between Brown and Deebo Samuel. Brown is at his best in the slot, displaying a good catch radius and suddenness in his route running. His 805 yards when lined up in the slot were No. 19 in college football.

Nastiest OL
Cody Ford, Oklahoma

Bottom line, Ford is a mauler. He is overpowering at the point of attack: A real glass-eater and a classic finisher.

Best edge rusher
Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State

No surprise here. He's just a natural pass-rusher, excelling at advancing a pass rush while engaged. Bosa plays with great leverage and a solid forward lean.

Best interior pass-rusher
Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama

Williams had 8.0 sacks in 2018. He has a high-end first step and is becoming a real hands technician. The Bama lineman ran an impressive 4.83 40 at the combine.

Best run-stopper
Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

Lawrence is 342 pounds and has 5.05 speed. With that size and quickness, he can anchor the middle of the defensive line and make plays in stopping the run.

Most rangy LB
Devin White, ILB, LSU

This could have gone to Devin Bush too. They are both elite in terms of range, going sideline to sideline. White turned in a 4.42 40, while Bush was at 4.43. White has great instincts in space and the closing speed to make plays.

Best tackler
T.J. Edwards, ILB, Wisconsin

Edwards is a powerful wrap-up tackler, but I also like the tackling ability of Tre Lamar (Clemson). He packs a punch. Edwards had 113 tackles in 2018.

Best ball-hawk CB
Byron Murphy, Washington

A natural hands catcher who played receiver in high school, Murphy had four interceptions last season. He reads the quarterback and has a good feel for route combinations. Don't be surprised to see him come off his assignment to play the ball.

Best slot CB
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Florida

Gardner-Johnson will eventually be a talented NFL safety, but look for him to contribute in the nickel role early in his career. He is a smooth mover who hauled in four picks in 2018.

Best man-coverage CB
Greedy Williams, LSU

I also like Deandre Baker here, but Williams' quick feet, smooth hips and excellent top-end speed give him the edge. Williams will use his closing burst to bait QBs into mistake throws.

Best zone-coverage CB
Byron Murphy, Washington

Murphy's recognition skills and high-end athleticism make him a perfect zone corner.

Prospects I like on Day 2

Expect a run on wide receivers in the second round, and Samuel and McLaurin are two guys who could be high impact weapons. Samuel is fantastic with the ball in his hands, and McLaurin's breakaway speed gives him the chance to develop as a receiver and contribute immediately on special teams.

Prospects I like on Day 3

Thorson is streaky as a passer, but flashes the ability to read the defense and anticipate throws. And while there are some effort concerns for Gaillard, he shows good awareness while helping in pass protection and takes solid angles and gets good leverage in the run game.

Developmental prospects with upside
Jackson's big arm could be an asset in the NFL if he can fix his accuracy. Teams will covet his 6-foot-7 size and 4.59 40-yard dash speed. And Johnson has the tools to become an effective press-coverage corner but needs some work on his technique.

All-Satellite Team: Best guys in space

Brown just explodes out of his breaks, Murray is the twitchiest quarterback I've seen since Michael Vick and Isabella displayed his elite speed at the combine with a 4.31 40 time.

Last edited:

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Todd likes Lock's: "I like the trajectory and placement on his deep balls." :muttley: Sorry!

Reminds me of how Jerry loved Weeden's beautiful deep balls...LOL!

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
It’s flying under the radar how great of a fit CGJ would be for this team.
What is weird is he seems to be the consensus around here. Usually it is pretty much a toss-up who they want-seems everyone chose him, including me before I saw anyone else's opinion on him.

Last edited:

Mr_437

Reaction score
Interesting DAL has talked to every RB on Todd's list except Holyfield, and they may have privately interviewed him too.

BC TE Todd Sweeny has some game, would make for a good mid-round TE pick.