Meanwhile. Kirk Gibson still hasn't stepped on 2nd base

jrumann59

Reaction score
The umps knew. They are supposed to watch that all bases are touched during a homerun that way if a ball is thrown to 2nd base HR gets wiped out. Rangers did this a couple times to the cardinals during tthe world series.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I think in the 8:40 (closer to 8:41) his right foot may have grazed the side of the bag before making that wide turn. It probably somewhat makes sense because it would have been painful to step on the bag.

Also, noticed that if you do slo mo (or pause and play quickly), he does a little stumble.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
The umps knew. They are supposed to watch that all bases are touched during a homerun that way if a ball is thrown to 2nd base HR gets wiped out. Rangers did this a couple times to the cardinals during tthe world series.

That's what I was getting at earlier. I think the umps knew but it was a "historic moment" and everyone just walked away.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
I think in the 8:40 (closer to 8:41) his right foot may have grazed the side of the bag before making that wide turn. It probably somewhat makes sense because it would have been painful to step on the bag.

Also, noticed that if you do slo mo (or pause and play quickly), he does a little stumble.

I'm not seeing that, Brother... I just watched it again 3 more times and all I'm seeing is him run around second base. I think a lot of people want to believe he touched 2nd base but I'm not seeing it. To me it looks like he's a solid 8 inches away.

I'm not a fan of either of those teams. It did catch my attention though when he ran around 2nd base. I was like...."Ask for another ball and throw it to 2nd base. He never touched it."

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
I do not think the umps are allowed to notify the opposing team of baserunning errors like that.

You're correct.I never said they were. It's up to the opposing manager (as you said) to pay attention to that. Everyone was so wrapped up in the moment and missed him trotting around 2nd base while doing fist pumps. That's all I'm sayin.

jrumann59

Reaction score
When Mark McGwire broke the HR mark and started his trot there was little stink over whether the 1B coach told him to pay attention during the handshake.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I'm not seeing that, Brother... I just watched it again 3 more times and all I'm seeing is him run around second base. I think a lot of people want to believe he touched 2nd base but I'm not seeing it. To me it looks like he's a solid 8 inches away.

I'm not a fan of either of those teams. It did catch my attention though when he ran around 2nd base. I was like...."Ask for another ball and throw it to 2nd base. He never touched it."
It looked like it but I just paid attention to the bag. I think that run around people see is a bad angle and then when the camera zoomed out, it shows him running wide but he already passed the bag.

I know that his right foot and the bag came really close after pausing it. Now did it touch? I don’t know but there were outfielders from the As coming in watching him run the bases.

Edit: it might be 8:41 because it shows 8:40 on the comp I was watching but 8:41 on my mobile. But it happens right before the zoom out and with his head looking down.

Last edited:

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score

This has been my theory for years. He was in so much pain that he just trotted around 2nd. I don't blame him. That and it was one the most historic moments in baseball. I'm not a fan of either team and it gave me goosebumps and had me cheering. Who's going to be the jerk in the stadium to take it away from him? Nobody.

And rightfully so. Gibson earned a place in history that night.

"I'm not going to go down as the biggest A-hole in history. Let's get out of here!"

Last edited:

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Miss listening to Vin Scully.

Loved listening to Vin Scully.

When I was 17 yrs old I got a set of headphones for Christmas that picked up radio stations. Being in Vegas, all I could get was Dodger games. He always gave the other team their props and he never sounded biased.

ghst187

Reaction score
wow, what an iconic sports history moment.
Yes, it looks like he doesn't even get close to touching second base but would really stink to lose a historic moment like that to such a technicality.

However, it would be pretty epic to for him to tweet out a selfie 30 years later to the day of him standing on second base on that field.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
BFD..One of the most epic moments in baseball history, and somebody's focusing on a technicality....

rynochop

Reaction score
Could you imagine after that Eckersley asks for a new ball tosses it over to 2nd and the ump calls him out. Talk about LA Riots part I

Last edited: