Media Rankings of Cowboys Draft Picks

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
On Hangin' with the Boys Podcast this week, they had Chris Hall (heads up the College Scouting Department for McClay). It was a very interesting interview - Chris Hall seems like a very bright emerging FO star.

Anyway, they asked him of all the Draft Picks, who did he think was a real sleeper (i.e., who is your pet cat?). Hall replied, "Donovan Wilson." He went through a list of traits - he seemed most excited when he talked about Wilson being a huge hitter. He said that Wilson was the kid he'd be keeping his eye on all throughout camp.

The entire draft is a crap shoot - especially in the 6th round. But if the head of college scouting says he's keeping an eye on him, then I'll be sure to as well.

I'm rooting for this kid - God knows we could use any improvement we can get at SS.
Bright emerging star he's literally been with the team since 1990 right out of college and has never had another job anywhere else? His dad probably got him the job that seems like the trend in cowboys nation

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McClay already stated they were looking for a box safety. Sorry to burst your bubble.

So sad to see you still going on about Bobby Belt, even though he made you look silly.

And now Hill is a hack because he broke some news that the team doesn't view Thornhill as a SS, which disagrees with your assessment that Thornhill is an "excellent tackler." Maybe it's you that's wrong and not everyone else. But that's a tough pill to swallow.

No, you just lack awareness about media people.

I live in DFW and it's common knowledge that Clarance Hill is a goof. He occasionally gets something right but just as often is completely wrong. He can barely spell his own name and the editors often don't catch all of his mistakes. Listen to him on the radio and you would likely understand; although l'm certain that you would not admit it.

At least Hill has a real media job. The other guy just tweets his opinions out.

You are going through something many have experienced. I barely even noticed you before but now that I corrected you on 1 simple issue, you've started following me around like a lost puppy.

As Nate Newton would say to opponents back in the early nineties "Why you try so hard? You know we gonna win anyway."

For me it not personal. If I see something posted that is incorrect, then I'll post a rebuttal.

I applaud you for watching video and attempting to analyze players. You just happened to get one wrong. It happens. I thought AOA was a good 4th round pick back in 2010...

Kris Richard would not be on board with drafting a Safety in the 2nd round if that player was a terrible tackler. Obviously Thornhill was not the ideal box Safety regardless of how well he tackles because he would get worn down playing too much in the box where he would have to take on blocks from OLinemen.

I tend to be more harsh when somebody starts a new thread and proliferates false info than if somebody just posts something deep within a thread.

I would liked to have had either Thornhill and CGJ on the roster but I was never 100% comfortable drafting a Safety at #58 because they were not ideal box Safeties and Woods isn't either.

Abram and Rapp were the box Safeties and I think both will be good in the NFL; however I would have been apprehensive about taking Abram in the 1st because at 5-11, 205 with 31-3/8 inch arms, he is still going to get engulfed by OLinemen at times and could get worn down. Similar issue with Rapp.

Landon Collins was 6-0, 228 at the combine.

Roy Williams was an ideal Strong Safety (6-0, 222 at the combine) but he got fat and lazy once he made money and started dating a celebrity.

Keep an eye on Darian Thompson (6-2, 208 pre-draft) in training camp. He started 16 games for the Giants in his 2nd year in the NFL (2017). He started at Free Safety but should be a better fit at Strong Safety. I expect him to at least move ahead of Frazier unless he has more injury issues.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
No, you just lack awareness about media people.

I live in DFW and it's common knowledge that Clarance Hill is a goof. He occasionally gets something right but just as often is completely wrong. He can barely spell his own name and the editors often don't catch all of his mistakes. Listen to him on the radio and you would likely understand; although l'm certain that you would not admit it.

At least Hill has a real media job. The other guy just tweets his opinions out.
They both proved to have accurate sources. And you resort to childish ad hominem attacks because you don’t agree with them.

You are going through something many have experienced. I barely even noticed you before but now that I corrected you on 1 simple issue, you've started following me around like a lost puppy.

As Nate Newton would say to opponents back in the early nineties "Why you try so hard? You know we gonna win anyway."

Don’t flatter yourself. My original post in this thread is that your definition of a consensus (three media sources) is inaccurate. Then you got in your feelings and went off topic, bringing up my Juan Thornhill thread. lol.

For me it not personal. If I see something posted that is incorrect, then I'll post a rebuttal.

I applaud you for watching video and attempting to analyze players. You just happened to get one wrong. It happens. I thought AOA was a good 4th round pick back in 2010...

It’s a message board. None of this is personal.

Considering many draft analysts and even this organization shared the same concerns about Thornhill as me, maybe I’m not the wrong one here. You said Thornhill could play in the box and had “impressive tackling ability.” Many football heads disagree, including this front office.

And good for you for admitting you were wrong on AOA. I know how hard that is for you. Is that a first?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They both proved to have accurate sources. And you resort to childish ad hominem attacks because you don’t agree with them.

Don’t flatter yourself. My original post in this thread is that your definition of a consensus (three media sources) is inaccurate. Then you got in your feelings and went off topic, bringing up my Juan Thornhill thread. lol.

It’s a message board. None of this is personal.

Considering many draft analysts and even this organization shared the same concerns about Thornhill as me, maybe I’m not the wrong one here. You said Thornhill could play in the box and had “impressive tackling ability.” Many football heads disagree, including this front office.

And good for you for admitting you were wrong on AOA. I know how hard that is for you. Is that a first?

There is no proof of accurate sources.

You went from barely if ever replying to my posts to following me around desperately trying to find somewhere that you can't be correct. It's a common emotional response.

I have a spreadsheet will rankings from multiple draft media. That data would be a mess if I posted all of it in a thread.

The Cowboys wanted a Safety with the ability to play in the box. They've stated that they debated between Hill and Thornhill meaning if they drafted a Safety at #58, it would have been Thornhill. That does NOT show that they thought Thornhill had problems tackling. Obviously they didn't see him as the ultimate Box Safety due to limited size and neither did I or anyone else.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
There is no proof of accurate sources.

You went from barely if ever replying to my posts to following me around desperately trying to find somewhere that you can't be correct. It's a common emotional response.

I have a spreadsheet will rankings from multiple draft media. That data would be a mess if I posted all of it in a thread.

The Cowboys wanted a Safety with the ability to play in the box. They've stated that they debated between Hill and Thornhill meaning if they drafted a Safety at #58, it would have been Thornhill. That does NOT show that they thought Thornhill had problems tackling. Obviously they didn't see him as the ultimate Box Safety due to limited size and neither did I or anyone else.
Choosing to ignore evidence that's public knowledge now. That's on you. Not wasting my time anymore trying to get you up to par.