Mel Kiper on our first two draft picks

CoachD

Reaction score
Mel Kiper on our first two draft picks......
"A penalty waiting to happen" and "Talk about a one trick Pony". OK so he basically destroyed our first two picks with his comment but as I get more information on the players the Cowboys drafted I have to say that this is a typical Cowboys draft especially when I find out that Damone Clark who had spinal fusion surgery and wont even play in 2022, are you freakin kidding me another Jaylon Smith red shirt hopeful. Now the one positive thing I can say about this draft is the Cowboys filled in where they lost players. They needed a guard right away, check, they needed to replace Gregory with someone on the edge, check, and they needed to get another wide reciever, check. Now hopefully these guys will see a lot of playing time and be a factor for years to come.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I thought the Cowboys had a good day three, a lot of value picks.... Day one and day two on the other hand thought the Cowboys were chasing the draft, players they wanted or group they thought would be there went off the board a lot earlier than they thought and reached for players of need..

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
"A penalty waiting to happen" and "Talk about a one trick Pony". OK so he basically destroyed our first two picks with his comment but as I get more information on the players the Cowboys drafted I have to say that this is a typical Cowboys draft especially when I find out that Damone Clark who had spinal fusion surgery and wont even play in 2022, are you freakin kidding me another Jaylon Smith red shirt hopeful. Now the one positive thing I can say about this draft is the Cowboys filled in where they lost players. They needed a guard right away, check, they needed to replace Gregory with someone on the edge, check, and they needed to get another wide reciever, check. Now hopefully these guys will see a lot of playing time and be a factor for years to come.

LOL, Kiper sounds more like SAS....i really watch the draft on the NFLN and a little ESPN.., but with the sound off. I check on it from time to time while doing other stuff. So not into the entire draft like some here. Only concerned with who the Cowboys get. And a 5th round flyer on Damone Clark is great, especially having 3 other picks. You will see next season. its like Dallas got their 2023 2nd round pick this year.

Jarntt

Reaction score
We all like to hear great things about every pick, but Kiper is a joke. How this guy still has people listening to him I'll never understand. Most people nowadays grade drafts off of the mocks they've been reading for 2 months or in the case of guys like Kiper, their own mock. None of these are worth crap. It's just a group think exercise where almost every mock looks about the same by draft day. I'm not saying we had a good draft or not, but I am saying the draft grades are worthless. All that matters is where NFL GMs see these prospects and for the most part we don't see those lists...unless of course your owner is an AH0le that shows the whole world your draft board at a press conference because he's too thin skinned to answer questions about who you picked

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Drafting players that play the same position as a need doesn’t mean you filled the need. You still have to hit on those players. If they suck, you did nothing.
Effort and success goes hand and hand. You can't replace the guys you loss if you never try. If these guys suck then try again and again. We have to keep trying, right?

Tarell Basham is better than Gregory. Lamb made the pro bowl not Cooper. Shultz can't block worth a lick.
We got ran over in our last two playoff games.

So the team is trying to fix all of its problems. What more can you ask. The effort is there and it's a welcoming site.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a lot of ?'s about the players drafted and the fact they feel the need to defend the Smith pick with "he was who we always wanted" is typical spin.

Smith must fill the highest need on the team and he is raw and at times undisciplined against better talent. He must be developed by the same coaches that failed with Williams and McGovern up to benching Williams and that didn't work. He was a marked man which didn't help. It doesn't help that I am sure the standing orders for every Cowboys OL is hold if you must but do not give them a free shot at the QB. And Williams was the door to the QB.

Williams is a pass rusher and not a run defender so he should be rotational and situational but I think he'll be as good if not better than Gregory was. At least he played D in the SECW and that's as close to the NFL as it gets.

Tolbert, Ferguson and Waletzko are pretty good picks and should see some playing time. Ferguson will be like Schultz 2.0 for Prescott and on 12 formations could be really good.

Clark is a future and risk pick, instead of the usual 2nd rounder, and he could be a real find. Spinal fusions are real iffy though but he is a talent worth the risk.

Ridgeway should be rotational and he will get every opportunity to make this team as he's only the 2nd drafted Hog and you can bet the Joneses visited with Pittman at AR about him. He will take some refining by the DL coaches just like Smith will by the OL. Don't know why but I have more confidence on the D coaches. One thing about him, he is a mountain of a man and not easy to move.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
so the guy that mocks Smith to the Cowboys now hates the pick.....ahhh...got it.

CapnB

Reaction score
I swear I remember Helman saying Kiper had Smith going to us in his mocks since Jan and that was when people started asking him questions about Smith.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was listening to NFL radio and had Pat Kirwin on and a caller Cowboy caller came on just complaining about the pick of Tyler Smith. Kirwin said he had spoken with several offensive line coaches around the NFL and most felt that Smith was a 1st rd pick, including Tenn who tried to make a trade with Dallas to take Smith. Caller then went on to complain about Joe Philbin and Kirwin was quick to say that Philbin was quite respected so the caller say look at Conner Williams and Kirwin said Philbin did not draft him but did bench him and said a coach can only do so much for a player, then pointed out to Steele who went undrafted and now is a starter.

BigD_95

Reaction score

how are you putting checks?

"They needed a guard right away, check" - how when everyone says he is a project that needs work and you have him as a sure day 1 starter?

"they needed to replace Gregory with someone on the edge" - again how is this a check? Gregory was a every down DE. They drafted a guy that cant play against the run and another project?

I will give you the wide receiver

Doomsday101

Reaction score
how are you putting checks?

"They needed a guard right away, check" - how when everyone says he is a project that needs work and you have him as a sure day 1 starter?

"they needed to replace Gregory with someone on the edge" - again how is this a check? Gregory was a every down DE. They drafted a guy that cant play against the run and another project?

I will give you the wide receiver

They did Armstrong put up the same number including more tackles than Gregory added. Williams can come in as a pass rusher and saying he need work on the running plays? so did Gregory, his weakness was playing the run.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I was listening to NFL radio and had Pat Kirwin on and a caller Cowboy caller came on just complaining about the pick of Tyler Smith. Kirwin said he had spoken with several offensive line coaches around the NFL and most felt that Smith was a 1st rd pick, including Tenn who tried to make a trade with Dallas to take Smith. Caller then went on to complain about Joe Philbin and Kirwin was quick to say that Philbin was quite respected so the caller say look at Conner Williams and Kirwin said Philbin did not draft him but did bench him and said a coach can only do so much for a player, then pointed out to Steele who went undrafted and now is a starter.

Yeah it seems the opinions were really mixed on Smith, in both the NFL team scouting circles and media draft "expert" circles. However, there were enough teams that liked Smith enough to where most felt he would definitely get picked in the 1st round. I cant remember where I read it, but Dallas, Tennessee and a few other teams liked him in the back half of the 1st round. So we'll see. Hopefully for Dallas, Smith works out and the move inside only enhances his ability to play at the next level.

On Williams. I'm OK with the pick. I actually think he has a higher bust potential than Smith, despite having what should be the "easier" role at least initially. Quinn has a lot of work to do here to coach this young man up.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Kiper likes to argue with himself.
Does he not remember he did a mock draft where he had us picking T. Smith in the first round?

starfrombirth

Reaction score
When was the last time Kiper was ACTUALLY correct? He's looked at as a joke around the league AND media. But hey.... go ahead and use him to support your hate for the Cowboys.