Micah Parsons feels under appreciated?

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I'm no expert on draft prospects but Parsons gets very high praise and PFF even called him the best prospect since Kuechly.

I'm reminded of the mid-2010s, when the defense was night and day different depending on Lee's health and availability. That seems like the type of prospect Parsons is, and linebackers can have that kind of influence. High value corners are great and all but I think you can build a defense around a good linebacker, and I think you're more likely to keep them at the end of their first contract.

All things together he seems like an argument for BPA in the 5 to 10 range and hopefully he would be a top linebacker for the next decade. But for some reason I seem to hear much more about other prospects, notably the corners. I can certainly see the argument for a DB in the 5 to 10 range but I prefer a LB to build around.

Am I missing something? I don't know the prospects very well.

Thanks!

Bigdog

Reaction score
From what I have read on him I would take him where we position right now only if Lawrence and Sewell doesn’t miraculously fall to us. The only negative I have heard about him is he can get better at getting off blocks. I have never seen him play so I can’t comment on this.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
https://www.cover1.net/micah-parsons-nfl-draft-penn-state/

Parsons became the first sophomore to ever win Big 10 linebacker of the year last season, a year in which he was the highest graded run defender in the country according to Pro Football Focus. At just 20 years old, he was named first-team AP All-American and Cotton Bowl MVP.
That article links some really good footage too.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think Sewell is likely off the table at this point so
If we’re in the top 7ish is Parsons it trade down for me.

Its an awful gear to be picking early and needing a defensive blue chipper.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I’m an advocate for parsons. I think now we have the possibility of getting him with that loss to Washington and solidifying that we’re not winning this division how we’re playing.

that being said parsons would change this defense. You need a leader and tough sob for lb. he’s the guy. He can also lineup on dline too. His combine will solidify his draft stock being in top 5. He was also a top 5 recruit in the country coming out of high school.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm no expert on draft prospects but Parsons gets very high praise and PFF even called him the best prospect since Kuechly.

I'm reminded of the mid-2010s, when the defense was night and day different depending on Lee's health and availability. That seems like the type of prospect Parsons is, and linebackers can have that kind of influence. High value corners are great and all but I think you can build a defense around a good linebacker, and I think you're more likely to keep them at the end of their first contract.

All things together he seems like an argument for BPA in the 5 to 10 range and hopefully he would be a top linebacker for the next decade. But for some reason I seem to hear much more about other prospects, notably the corners. I can certainly see the argument for a DB in the 5 to 10 range but I prefer a LB to build around.

Am I missing something? I don't know the prospects very well.

Thanks!

-The off linebacker in today's game isn't high valued as he once was when teams were run first to step up the pass. Better be able to cover or come off the filed.

-It is a position just like RB, involves the most injury risk due to all of the collisions.

-Just like RB, outside of the select few, you can find a quality off the ball linebacker later in the draft.

I do like Parsons, but it's awfully risky to draft him within the top 10.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
https://www.cover1.net/micah-parsons-nfl-draft-penn-state/

Parsons became the first sophomore to ever win Big 10 linebacker of the year last season, a year in which he was the highest graded run defender in the country according to Pro Football Focus. At just 20 years old, he was named first-team AP All-American and Cotton Bowl MVP.
That article links some really good footage too.

I’ve got zero problems taking with our first pick.

We need an influx of talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Yes, it would be great if there was a stud blue-chip DT, but there’s not; you can’t overdraft because of need. I would also argue that LB is an absolute need on this team.

Great clips btw in that article. Look at the way Parsons’ reads the play and goes after it. Now, imagine how Jaylon would handle each of those plays, loool.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I’ve got zero problems taking with our first pick.

We need an influx of talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Yes, it would be great if there was a stud blue-chip DT, but there’s not; you can’t overdraft because of need. I would also argue that LB is an absolute need on this team.

Great clips btw in that article. Look at the way Parsons’ reads the play and goes after it. Now, imagine how Jaylon would handle each of those plays, loool.
Parsons is the only player I would take in the top 10. That will be available of course. Id take him at 4th or 5th overall. Hes that much of a game changer.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
-The off linebacker in today's game isn't high valued as he once was when teams were run first to step up the pass. Better be able to cover or come off the filed.

-It is a position just like RB, involves the most injury risk due to all of the collisions.

-Just like RB, outside of the select few, you can find a quality off the ball linebacker later in the draft.

The off-ball linebacker is the coverage linebacker. Yeah coverage isn't Parsons #1 trait but he makes up for it.

I think I disagree too about the RB comparison, I think you're likely to get 8 to 10 years out of a top LB pick whereas RB i think you're hoping for 6 to 8

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
All the film on him seems to show him making plays untouched. I’m sorry, but that just isn’t realistic in the pros. Could be another Jaylon smith.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The off-ball linebacker is the coverage linebacker. Yeah coverage isn't Parsons #1 trait but he makes up for it.

I think I disagree too about the RB comparison, I think you're likely to get 8 to 10 years out of a top LB pick whereas RB i think you're hoping for 6 to 8
You think back over the last several drafts, not many non-pass rushing linebackers have gone off the board within the top 10. Kuechley had to retire due to concussions. Not saying to pass on Parsons, but it's very risky due to the position he plays.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Also with our defensive problems weak side linebacker would be the last position to draft. Maybe if we traded down and received multiple second round picks from a team to fill the defensive line and secondary needs.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Guys he's not a weakside line backer or an off ball linebacker. Coverage is his weaker suit, even though he's still capable there.

We have awful run defense. Micah Parsons immediately improves the team for years to come. He's going to be stellar against the run. His instincts also receive praise, too, which is why he won't be another Jaylon Smith. Great technique tackler.

Imagine a better Rolando McClain that isn't a basket case. Parsons and LVE in nickel, Jaylon is the 3rd LB. Add in a day 3 pick and bring back one of our current cheap LBs.

Addressing the weak LB play and the awful run defense by locking up Parsons for 5 years and likely a second contract is much better for the team short and long term than getting a CB. They can't build around a CB and good corner play doesn't matter when you give up 156 rushing yards per game and 15 rushing touchdowns. We need to lock up the middle of the field and a DT isn't available here.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Also with our defensive problems weak side linebacker would be the last position to draft. Maybe if we traded down and received multiple second round picks from a team to fill the defensive line and secondary needs.

I believe the Cowboys can find another Anthony Hitches type later in the draft. He was a former 4th rd selection who was a good, two down player that at least could hold up in coverage. I would rather see a stack and shed type than the finesse players we have drafted in the past.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Guys he's not a weakside line backer or an off ball linebacker. Coverage is his weaker suit, even though he's still capable there.

We have awful run defense. Micah Parsons immediately improves the team for years to come. He's going to be stellar against the run. His instincts also receive praise, too, which is why he won't be another Jaylon Smith. Great technique tackler.

Imagine a better Rolando McClain that isn't a basket case. Parsons and LVE in nickel, Jaylon is the 3rd LB. Add in a day 3 pick and bring back one of our current cheap LBs.

Addressing the weak LB play and the awful run defense by locking up Parsons for 5 years and likely a second contract is much better for the team short and long term than getting a CB. They can't build around a CB and good corner play doesn't matter when you give up 156 rushing yards per game and 15 rushing touchdowns. We need to lock up the middle of the field and a DT isn't available here.

I understand your thought process, but many are scared to take a similar prospect to Jaylon Smith, whom he will be replacing.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I understand your thought process, but many are scared to take a similar prospect to Jaylon Smith, whom he will be replacing.

True true, the hesitation is understandable.

I'd definitely look into trade offers but I just don't see anyone trading up to 4 in this draft. So if I'm picking, then as of 11/27/2020 I am picking Parsons.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
True true, the hesitation is understandable.

I'd definitely look into trade offers but I just don't see anyone trading up to 4 in this draft. So if I'm picking, then as of 11/27/2020 I am picking Parsons.
After the QB's are gone, nobody is trading up. Say Sewell is off the board too, Parsons would be in serious discussions as best player available. When you pick in the top 5, teams who don't need a QB usually take the best player available.