CFZ Micah Parsons: The NFL’s Defensive “Shape Shifter”

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys fans all know how great Micah Parsons is. But I thought it would be interesting to look at how great he is in context of his ability to play effectively in every area of what the defense must do. In that sense he’s a “shape shifter”.

Here are just a few of his current impressive statistical numbers through 11 games:
  • Is 2nd in the league in sacks with 12.
  • Tied for 4th in Tackles for Loss (TFL) with 13.
  • Tied for 2nd in forced fumbles with 3.
But what makes Micah Parsons’ greatness stand out is not just a stat. It’s his ability to be a true defensive “shape shifter”; a hybrid of talent that can handle all 3 aspects of defense- pass rush, tackling, and pass coverage. He excels in all three.

Parsons can be the game’s best pass rusher, then shift into the best coverage LB in the league. (Parsons routinely covers RBs, TEs and occasionally a WR), and we have seen his incredible speed as he runs down a player and tackles him from behind after rushing the passer. He can rush the passer, tackle, and provide pass coverage, all at a very high level.

Dan Quinn said a few months back that Micah Parsons is the only NFL defensive player he’s ever seen or coached that could play any position on defense.

Which made me think- the only player I’ve seen in NFL history with the ability to do anything on defense he wanted is Lawrence Taylor. If Micah takes care of himself and can stay healthy, he’s not only headed to Canton, he has the ability to surpass even LT as the greatest defensive player to ever lace em up.

This is greatness that comes along rarely.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Cowboys fans all know how great Micah Parsons is. But I thought it would be interesting to look at how great he is in context of his ability to play effectively in every area of what the defense must do. In that sense he’s a “shape shifter”.

Here are just a few of his current impressive statistical numbers through 11 games:
But what makes Micah Parsons’ greatness stand out is not just a stat. It’s his ability to be a true defensive “shape shifter”; a hybrid of talent that can handle all 3 aspects of defense- pass rush, tackling, and pass coverage. He excels in all three.

Parsons can be the game’s best pass rusher, then shift into the best coverage LB in the league. (Parsons routinely covers RBs, TEs and occasionally a WR), and we have seen his incredible speed as he runs down a player and tackles him from behind after rushing the passer. He can rush the passer, tackle, and provide pass coverage, all at a very high level.

Dan Quinn said a few months back that Micah Parsons is the only NFL defensive player he’s ever seen or coached that could play any position on defense.

Which made me think- the only player I’ve seen in NFL history with the ability to do anything on defense he wanted is Lawrence Taylor. If Micah takes care of himself and can stay healthy, he’s not only headed to Canton, he has the ability to surpass even LT as the greatest defensive player to ever lace em up.

Great post ...... 100 percent correct

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just an amazing, disruptive, game-changing talent. We aren't close to the same team without him. But, there is no way (IMHO) that he is "the best coverage LB in the league"
He needs an INT or two before I'll crown him and call for him to replace Diggs and be matched up with the opposing team's No. 1 receiver.
You’re both right that he could improve in his coverage skills but and I’m certainly not comparing his coverage to Diggs. But I am saying Parsons can handle all 3 phases of defense- pass rush, tackling and pass coverage. No one else can do all 3.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You’re both right that he could improve in his coverage skills but and I’m certainly not comparing his coverage to Diggs. But I am saying Parsons can handle all 3 phases of defense- pass rush, tackling and pass coverage. No one else can do all 3.

Mine was more sarcasm but I do think I'd rate him higher as a pass coverage LB if he could diagnose plays and step into passing lanes for picks like Sean Lee used to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not quite ready just yet to put him in the HOF.

He has no doubt brought a new identity to this defense . And he provides the havoc and disruption at the LOS we have been missing while elevating others around him which is the sign of greatness.

But he disappears at times. And he even at times only comes in on obvious passing plays. For an OLB I’d like to see him also in coverage and run stopping.

If he wants to be compared to LT he’s going to need to become more than one dimensional. And ultimately the success we have in the playoffs against the greater teams and QB’s will be the ultimate measurement of his impact.

GRCowboy

Reaction score

He has no doubt brought a new identity to this defense . And he provides the havoc and disruption at the LOS we have been missing while elevating others around him which is the sign of greatness.

But he disappears at times. And he even at times only comes in on obvious passing plays. For an OLB I’d like to see him also in coverage and run stopping.

If he wants to be compared to LT he’s going to need to become more than one dimensional. And ultimately the success we have in the playoffs against the greater teams and QB’s will be the ultimate measurement of his impact.
He's been injured much of this season and played through it and he was injured pretty bad in the first quarter of last year's playoff game and he played through it but was ineffective in large part because Jimmy G didn't pass the ball much.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Of course we can’t put in the HOF yet.
And…wait…are you saying Parsons is “one dimensional”? He’s a lot more than a pass rusher. He 13 tackles for loss. Those aren’t pass plays.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course we can’t put in the HOF yet.
And…wait…are you saying Parsons is “one dimensional”? He’s a lot more than a pass rusher. He 13 tackles for loss. Those aren’t pass plays.
Yea, but that’s when he’s rushing the passer making tackles in the backfield.

I didn’t mean he’s one dimensional but more one dimensional. Didn’t LT make plays beyond the LOS.

I just think we can appreciate and celebrate him without these comparisons and anointments . Let’s see how he impacts the games when the season is on the line. That will be the ultimate barometer.

Does he look like he could be that guy. Yes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He's been injured much of this season and played through it and he was injured pretty bad in the first quarter of last year's playoff game and he played through it but was ineffective in large part because Jimmy G didn't pass the ball much.
Right . That would explain him being limited on plays. But only being effective in the passing game is my concern.

If teams only need to run the ball on us to avoid the pressure then I’d argue Parsons needs to impact stopping the run in that case. That’s where the one dimensional comes in.

Proof

Reaction score
He needs an INT or two before I'll crown him and call for him to replace Diggs and be matched up with the opposing team's No. 1 receiver.

he’s due. gotten his hands on a couple. but yes he’s got to bring one in

Reactions: BAT

Praxit

Reaction score
...in saying that, these are the years Dallas must take advantage of his abundant skills.

With every year the body gets a bit older. Micah will be no exception.

DenCWBY

Reaction score

There is one other aspect of him which this team needs is that he's a contagious player which means he makes others around him better by accountability and his leadership. He calls out the elephant(s) in the room specifically on defense. Sounds to me like they better bring it on Sunday or pack their bags type attitude like LT, Ronnie Lott, Darren Woodsen, Ray Lewis. The Jaylen Smith type pretenders on this defense are all headed to the bus or train station.

dckid

Reaction score

Settle down! Let's not say GOAT just yet.
Best player on the team since the triplets, really Emmit Smith. The last time as a fan I could say we have the best player in the league or at a certain position.
I know he is a hard worker, but i want him to add more pass rush moves, he is right now winning on speed and strength. Eventually he will not be the fastest LB in the league