Video: Michael Gallup film study

Sydla

Reaction score
If you look at his stats, and yes I know he played for a small school. The kid lit it up. He catches everything and can be a great outlet for Dak.

Which doesn't refute my point. There are a lot of guys who put up big numbers in college and it doesn't translate to the pros. Maybe it will for Gallup but the Dez comparisons aren't fair (or accurate IMO) and again, Gallup was a third round pick for a reason.

So how about we slow our roll on the kid and let him at least get a few practices in before we anoint him the new, better Dez?

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
You mean you would rather believe the scouts that tell you what you want to hear.
The youtube scouts right?
Make sure you ignore the scouts that had him as a 3rd round draft pick.

Well you are not even a YouTube scout so why should anyone believe what YOU say lol.

Sydla

Reaction score
So the fans comparing Gallup to Dez is setting the bar for him in the NFL? Now that's stretching it.

He wasn't even drafted with the pressure of replacing Dez. He is a moving part within the wr corps just like the coaches are planning it to be. No #1's remember!

What's funny is that you get on superonyx for slanting his talk about Gallup because he can't get over Bryant but you are basically doing the same thing from the other side of the debate......... hyping Gallup because you want to minimize Bryant.

Sydla

Reaction score
its huge stretch, people can dump on DB all they want, Fact: he is 1st in TDs, 3rd in rec, and 5th in yards all time cowboys Records..that right all the history of great WR and Dez is right there on top.. you don't do that in 8 years without being good, at time Great..the other 88s admit Dez was great, they were fine with him sharing the number..

Witt and Dez has regressed but that doesnt mean you dismiss what they've done, he didnt get to where he got just relying on his strength and jumping ablity..he was nearly uncoverable for 3-4 yrs..he demanded DBL teams..if he could truly only run 3 routes id say hed be an easy cover.. he got most of those yards in his prime beating DBl teams.. sure it took a Romo to get him the ball but im sick of the disrespect to Cowboy greats that are at the end of their careers..sure time to go but STOP the BS already..

Note, I am not saying Gallup can't become a really good WR in this league. I liked the pick when we made it.

But I think those pimping Gallup tend to be Dez bashers and their mindset is to assume that anyone can fill Bryant's shoes. I think people undervalue just how good and dominant Bryant was at times and while he had slipped the last few years, assuming a kid taken in the 3rd round can be our new Dez Bryant is a stretch at this point until we see something from the kid.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah.. I don't see the lack of separation stuff.

He runs pretty good routes for a college WR. Definetely above average.

He is great at tracking the ball too. I think it was the Maryland game where the QB threw it over the wrong shoulder and he still got it.

We'll see how he handles the press in the NFL.

He looks like a WR that has every tool in the box but not great at any 1 thing.

Einstein

Reaction score
My only thought on him was that since he was drafted 81st, he should ask for #81, lol...

CWR

Reaction score
Being a non homer..
He seems to struggle with getting separation. He seems tough after the catch and does a decent job on 50/50 balls.
I don't think he is as strong as Dez or as good at the 50/50 balls as Dez was.
I'm not yet sold on him as our starter. He seems to have trouble with CB's who jam him at the line. He isnt elusive enough to make them pay for press coverage.

Overall he seems like a guy who will make some plays. Just not sure he is better than T Will yet.....and im not a T Will fan at all.

What I've read is that hes actually really good at getting separation because hes such a tactician at route running. Lets hope the scouts are right.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Gallup is not as big or as strong as Bryant was coming out of Okie State.

Don't take that as me dumping on the kid, but the Bryant comparisons are stretching it at this point and likely setting an unnecessary bar for the kid. In what was a weak WR in terms of elite pass catchers, he was still a third round pick for a reason.
He reminds me of Isaac Bruce..great hand catcher and route runner. Plus he goes up and gets those 50/50 balls. Doesn't do anything better than the other,just well rounded football player.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Sorry but some people can be objective about Michael Gallup without it having anything to do with Dez.
Gallup is a cowboy so I like him much better than Dez. Doesnt mean i need to act blind or stupid. Why do you feel the need?

I wasn't the one who compared him to Dez but if I did that means I am blind and stupid? I just believe you are butthurt and delusional. Did you enjoy will McClay exposing dez? It seems you've had an overdose of your own medicine!

superonyx

Reaction score
LOL hurts my feelings? Not really man I’m simply asking a question. You saying Gallup can’t separate and can’t get off the jam doesn’t make you a “non homer”. And make anybody who likes the Gallup pick a homer.

As a matter of fact, I haven’t even offered my opinion of Gallup, so I find it quite hilarious that you mak an assumption on what I think about him and how good he will be, all so you can attempt to mock me for having “hurt feelings”. I also never mentioned Moore or Ridley. So again, pretty pathetic to put words in my mouth just to try and make your point.

There is a reason Gallup was a 3rd round pick. He lacks elite athleticism or size. He is average size for a receiver and his speed is also average. Neither are a detriment but neither are a strength. That’s why he was a 3rd round pick, teams like to take better athletes than he is, in the first and second rounds.

Gallup IS technically sound, runs good routes, is good at reading defenders bodies and is good at getting off jams at the college level. He was also good at getting seperation at the college level.

Which is why I questioned your comment. Because he has been good at getting seperation thus far.
The truth is he lacks elite anything.
He was a 3rd round pick because he is good at most things and great at none.
I think he can contribute. I just see a guy who's more than likely going to be a Nelson Agholor level receiver at this level.

Not someone I think we need to over hype.

kskboys

Reaction score
Which doesn't refute my point. There are a lot of guys who put up big numbers in college and it doesn't translate to the pros. Maybe it will for Gallup but the Dez comparisons aren't fair (or accurate IMO) and again, Gallup was a third round pick for a reason.

So how about we slow our roll on the kid and let him at least get a few practices in before we anoint him the new, better Dez?
I don't see the parallels at all.

Gallup is a great route runner

superonyx

Reaction score
I wasn't the one who compared him to Dez but if I did that means I am blind and stupid? I just believe you are butthurt and delusional. Did you enjoy will McClay exposing dez? It seems you've had an overdose of your own medicine!
I havent heard anything about McClay and Dez. I'll have to look that up. Sounds interesting.

Your obsession with Dez is kind of weird.

phildadon86

Reaction score
LOL hurts my feelings? Not really man I’m simply asking a question. You saying Gallup can’t separate and can’t get off the jam doesn’t make you a “non homer”. And make anybody who likes the Gallup pick a homer.

As a matter of fact, I haven’t even offered my opinion of Gallup, so I find it quite hilarious that you mak an assumption on what I think about him and how good he will be, all so you can attempt to mock me for having “hurt feelings”. I also never mentioned Moore or Ridley. So again, pretty pathetic to put words in my mouth just to try and make your point.

There is a reason Gallup was a 3rd round pick. He lacks elite athleticism or size. He is average size for a receiver and his speed is also average. Neither are a detriment but neither are a strength. That’s why he was a 3rd round pick, teams like to take better athletes than he is, in the first and second rounds.

Gallup IS technically sound, runs good routes, is good at reading defenders bodies and is good at getting off jams at the college level. He was also good at getting seperation at the college level.

Which is why I questioned your comment. Because he has been good at getting seperation thus far.
I think his stats speak for themselves to be honest. Kid catches everything. Ive also seen some CZ scouts say hes not a good route runner. So there is that. lol

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
What's funny is that you get on superonyx for slanting his talk about Gallup because he can't get over Bryant but you are basically doing the same thing from the other side of the debate......... hyping Gallup because you want to minimize Bryant.

Show me a post where I hyped gallup. Even in the title it says "possible starter", not STARTER. I don' believe me providing you guys with a video is hyping a player.

I see you enjoy reaching just like your buddy!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Note, I am not saying Gallup can't become a really good WR in this league. I liked the pick when we made it.

But I think those pimping Gallup tend to be Dez bashers and their mindset is to assume that anyone can fill Bryant's shoes. I think people undervalue just how good and dominant Bryant was at times and while he had slipped the last few years, assuming a kid taken in the 3rd round can be our new Dez Bryant is a stretch at this point until we see something from the kid.
I hope Gallup becomes Dez i can care less what others think but first he has to get open and catch passes in the NFL than if he becomes good bust up DBl teams and put up top 5 all time numbers on a team loaded with history, then we can make comparisons..wed be lucky if these rookies can even put up 60/800/8 like Dez has in his DOWN years LOL..seriously goes for Wittens replacement's..those are normal production for players, Dez and Witt get unfairly judged by the Elite numbers they were putting up..most don't realize that regular players in theis league, even number ones put up about the same numbers as Dez and Witt have been the last few years.. finding Elite players to replace them is going to eb a tough Task, especially in this new Run first Offense where eating clock and short routes are preferred over big chunk yards,.they've been protecting this defense for years doing this and Dez and witts numbers are suffering because of it..Hopefully the D finally takes the next step and that stops..

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
It was the right way to go. A WR in the 3'rd round. Most of us were freaking out that they would take one in the first round. I was freaking on Sutton, he really is
Dez II IMO. How about we wait and see what Gallup has in the NFL before we anoint him or burn him in effigy. He doesn't have to come in and set the world on fire or even start for that matter. If he works his way into the rotation and eventually replaces T Will it's a great player pick to go along with the decision to wait on him

HungryLion

Reaction score
The truth is he lacks elite anything.
He was a 3rd round pick because he is good at most things and great at none.
I think he can contribute. I just see a guy who's more than likely going to be a Nelson Agholor level receiver at this level.

Not someone I think we need to over hype.

Well I agree with that. The Dez stuff kills me because people forget how dominant an athlete Dez was when he was younger. Most of the time Dez was the strongest, biggest and most explosive player on the field when he was young. Injuries and age robbed him of that edge over time.

Gallup is a different player. I do think he has the ability to eventually become a very quality starter in the NFL. But he is going to be a guy that wins battles with his technique and smarts. Not by being a better athlete than the guy covering him.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I havent heard anything about McClay and Dez. I'll have to look that up. Sounds interesting.

Your obsession with Dez is kind of weird.

ME OBSEESED WITH DEZ!!!?

Bro you are the one who exploded all over the forum because of someone in a YouTube video compared the two. I never even mentioned Dez.

In fact I only brought him up because you were the first crying all over your PC about him lol.

You even fail at trying to twist things around lol. You only twisted yourself into the delusional crybaby you are in attempt!