CFZ Michael Gallup’s impact

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s exciting to see Michael Gallup is close to returning to game action. He is certainly a very underrated player on this team and should immediately help the offense get out of its slow start.

Looking at Gallup’s facts and stats, he has tended to get forgotten between Amari Cooper, Cedee Lamb, and his recent injury history. Here are some interesting stats on Gallup:
  • Ran a consistent 4.45 40 in pre-draft workouts.
  • In 4 seasons (55 games) he averages 15 yards per reception (Lamb avg about 13 per reception)
  • In 4 seasons he has 12 receptions of 40+ yards (Lamb has 5 in 2 years)
  • In Gallup’s best year- 2019- he had 66 receptions for 1,107 yds, avg 16.8 yds per catch.
  • His yards per target is 8.3- Lamb’s is 8.5.
I’m not knocking Cedee Lamb at all. But I am making the point that Michael Gallup may be exactly the kind of receiver to help Lamb not get doubled. Gallup is flat underrated. His return may inject some coverage respect among opposing defenses that we haven’t seen yet this year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope we get to see Lamb, Gallup, and Tolbert on the field together very soon. Glad Brown showed up game 2.
Is Tolbert hurt? I haven’t kept up with why he has been inactive the first two games.
Hoping for the best but at least for now this seems like an incredibly fast recovery on Gallups part.
Great point. He suffered an ACL tear a little over 8 months ago. As bad as this team needs him, like you, I’m hoping this isn’t too soon.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It’s exciting to see Michael Gallup is close to returning to game action. He is certainly a very underrated player on this team and should immediately help the offense get out of its slow start.

Looking at Gallup’s facts and stats, he has tended to get forgotten between Amari Cooper, Cedee Lamb, and his recent injury history. Here are some interesting stats on Gallup:
  • In 4 seasons (55 games) he averages 15 yards per reception (Lamb avg about 13 per reception)
  • In Gallup’s best year- 2019- he had 66 receptions for 1,107 yds, avg 16.8 yds per catch.
I’m not knocking Cedee Lamb at all. But I am making the point that Michael Gallup may be exactly the kind of receiver to help Lamb not get doubled. Gallup is flat underrated. His return may inject some coverage respect among opposing defenses that we haven’t seen yet this year.
I love MG, but I also bear in mind that he was focused on less than Cooper and Lamb, by the defense. He does make some spectacular catches though.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love MG, but I also bear in mind that he was focused on less than Cooper and Lamb, by the defense. He does make some spectacular catches though.
Good point. I think his yards per reception show his value- he’s our best deep threat. Lamb is more of possession receiver with excellent YAC capabilities. Gallup is the home run deep threat. Hopefully he can re-assume that role soon because opposing safeties appear completely confident in creeping near the box because this team has shown no deep ball threat so far.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So let me see if I have this skraight (as they say on da skreets).

We're putting our offensive hopes in an oft-injured wide receiver, an injured $40 million quarterback who's scared to throw his receivers open, an overpaid running back who has to tap out after a 4-yard run and a boy genius coordinator who, offensively speaking, can't spell "genius" or "boy"? :huh:

This franchise. :facepalm:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So let me see if I have this skraight (as they say on da skreets).

We're putting our offensive hopes in an oft-injured wide receiver, an injured $40 million quarterback who's scared to throw his receivers open, an overpaid running back who has to tap out after a 4-yard run and a boy genius coordinator who, offensively speaking, can't spell "genius" or "boy"? :huh:

This franchise. :facepalm:
No I don’t think you have it straight, lol, although that may be my fault in the OP. I certainly agree that this franchise’s FO isn’t always a well thought out machine, lol.

Thing is …All our hopes are not on any one player…except maybe Micah Parsons. Offensively this organization chose to make this team a collection of good skill people- not great. Gallup alone isn’t the answer. But he may be a key piece in a larger puzzle.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good point. I think his yards per reception show his value- he’s our best deep threat. Lamb is more of possession receiver with excellent YAC capabilities. Gallup is the home run deep threat. Hopefully he can re-assume that role soon because opposing safeties appear completely confident in creeping near the box because this team has shown no deep ball threat so far.
I think Gallup is also the guy for those sideline and end zone catches, when a toenail in the grass is necessary.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I'm a Gallup fan and I'm happy they made the right decision to keep him.

He's not the guy who will be the centerpiece of a receiver group, but he is the guy who can be fantastic in a complimentary role. Defense's will have to pay attention to him more than many #2's which opens things up for everyone else.

Everything hinges on how, and how quickly he comes back from a tough injury.

slick325

Reaction score

I hope he is healthy and remains healthy Bullet. Gallup is a solid WR2.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One of things I love about him. He can go up and make the contested catch, and get the toes down.
Yep, he's a scrapper, which is why I'm not worried about him being afraid to go at it hard when he gets back on the field.

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No I don’t think you have it straight, lol, although that may be my fault in the OP. I certainly agree that this franchise’s FO isn’t always a well thought out machine, lol.

Thing is …All our hopes are not on any one player…except maybe Micah Parsons. Offensively this organization chose to make this team a collection of good skill people- not great. Gallup alone isn’t the answer. But he may be a key piece in a larger puzzle.

I don't have a problem with Gallup, per say.
My problem is not understanding our receiver situation and then relying upon Gallup, who wasn't going to be ready for the season.
We should have had a backup plan if we were going to let Cooper go. And I don't think relying on Gallup is the answer because he has been injured.
Besides, we're not talking about Justin Jefferson or Ja'Marr Chase coming back from a one-time injury.
Gallup is slight of built and coming off a serious injury.
I hate to say this, but I suspect he'll be reinjured again.

As an aside, we miss calculated big time.
If we knew we were going to need wide receiver help (and if we didn't know, this franchise is stupider than I thought), we should have made sure Randy Gregory's contract was in order (stupid front office) and swung a trade up to grab George Pickens, a dynamic receiver whom Trubisky can't seem to get the ball to.
Instead, we pick Sam Williams (nothing against him, but we have a defensive pass rusher in Parsons and the current need is greater at wideout) then a wide receiver (Jalen Tolbert), who can't even get on the field.
We need(ed) a starting No. 2 receiver who could complement Lamb.
Now, we're holding our collective breaths waiting for an injured receiver to return to save the passing offense.

Shortsightedness by the front office. But where have we heard that before? :rolleyes:

ghst187

Reaction score

I totally agree but my only criticism of MG is that he HAS to make those spectacular catches because he doesn’t get separation consistently so the defender is usually right there on him.
Love MG as a complementary WR…as a #1 I’m concerned but hopeful.