News: Michael Gallup Talks Contract

InTheZone

Reaction score
Ill take that bet. Ill bet that Lamb has more yards and TD's than Cooper this year.
I'm not talking about stats. I'm talking about where each WR is at in their career, their skill level, and the value they bring. Cooper is going to get the most attention from a defense and he's going to see the better CB more often than CD will. Right now Cooper is more important to the team than CD is. CD may be able to fill Coopers role, but as of now I think Cooper is going to make life easier for CD, not the other way around.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Gallup or Cooper won't be here in 2022.
Probably not, but I'd put that at 80%, not 100.

Too many factors and events between now and then to fully rule it out.

I also don't believe Gallup will be offered anything close to #1 money by anyone.

If the team wants more of a cap dollar balance between offense and defense.....then I don't see how it's possible to keep both, but there's nothing about Jerry that tells me they may do that.

John813

Reaction score
Cooper is a better WR. I'd take the better WR every single time (unless we are talking a significant difference in cap hits, which I am not sure there will be when Gallup sees what's out there).

Yea, I think his ceiling could be 18mil per the way with some receiver contracts are going + a rise in the 2022 cap.

Now, the giants gave Golladay a 4-72mil deal and his cap hit is only 4.4 mil this year.
Pretty crazy contract schedule to make his deal work short term.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
"Obviously, I'd love to stay here," he said. "I'd love to be in Dallas. I love the community, love the city, love the fans, so it's up in the air, but I want to be right here. So we'll see."

Interesting to hear him discuss it, my feeling is he’ll be open to a team friendly deal but some team will blow us out of the water. As a 3rd round pick he’s going to have to take that money.

Link to full article:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...dak-prescott-contract-status-beyond-2021/amp/
yeah this is most likely his last season in Dallas. He's been solid for us, but this will be his chance to cash in and you can't blame him for doing exactly that.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yea, I think his ceiling could be 18mil per the way with some receiver contracts are going + a rise in the 2022 cap.

Now, the giants gave Golladay a 4-72mil deal and his cap hit is only 4.4 mil this year.
Pretty crazy contract schedule to make his deal work short term.
I like Gallup and hope they find a way to keep him here.

Anyone who offers him #1 money is going to regret it though, because he isnt that.

How many teams added a top WR in the last two drafts alone?

Quite a few, so if one of those teams signs a Gallup for 15m plus annually, how are they able to retain the other guy, who is probably a better player?

I really think the WR position has become a bit saturated and don't know if Gallup isn't going to be a slight victim thereof.

If you call 8-10 per being a victim....but that's where I see things headed.

John813

Reaction score
I like Gallup and hope they find a way to keep him here.

Anyone who offers him #1 money is going to regret it though, because he isnt that.

How many teams added a top WR in the last two drafts alone?

Quite a few, so if one of those teams signs a Gallup for 15m plus annually, how are they able to retain the other guy, who is probably a better player?

I really think the WR position has become a bit saturated and don't know if Gallup isn't going to be a slight victim thereof.

If you call 8-10 per being a victim....but that's where I see things headed.

IIRC the trend lately has been big deals in terms of total but relatively low signing bonus/guaranteed in relationship to the total amount.

Thomas got 96mil, but only 20mil SB(35mil gtd including base)
Cooper got 100mil, but only 10mil SB(40mil gtd including base(most paid out over 2 two years))
Golladay got 72mil(4 years) but only 17mil SB(49mil gtd) which is the first deal over 50% of the contract guaranteed in some way.
Hill got a 54 mil extension with only 5.4mil SB and 22.5mil gtd in some way.

Edge rushers are close to the same AAV if not a tick higher. But their contracts are anywhere from 63% to over 75% in total guarantees and larger signing bonuses.

So, IMO these teams are basically giving out short term extenstions and hold the cards for how long the receiver actually stays. If the receiver shows his worth the team can restructure to get cap savings up front and the receiver gets security and an advanced payday or the team can simply cut and move on and the receiver pretty much played out their prime and just got their guarantees.

Jarntt

Reaction score
One thing to remember is that the Cap is maxed at 208 mil With the TV deals coming through unless Covid strikes again we should be ok. Not great but ok
Also have to take into count the players that will be let go for salary cap reason ??? Jaylon????
There will be some salary cap cuts you can bank on that.
I would love to see Gallup stay he was my pet peeve from Colo. Good kid and I wish him well. Amari has a contract that gives you so many options if you need them. Some of these contracts will be wait and see. See how the competition goes in camp plus with those ugly injuries that will happen.
We have a very crowded Rec core and when it come down to who stay or who goes Im sure that Dak will have a lot to say about it.

I dont want us to go into salary cap hell so I hope that they are smart about it. I also hope that we are able to trade some players for future draft picks. If WR start going down during camp we got the group of WR that we can make some future moves.
Totally agree but that is the situation with all teams. What I'm stressing is how much worse off we are right now, at this frozen point in time, than other teams. We won't have trouble getting under the cap but for every player you keep/resign there's a free agent you can't sign or a different player you can't keep and we are a mediocre team that keeps resigning our own and expecting to not be mediocre. I love our 3 WRs and our backups. But we would be much better off spending a huge contract on defense (or possibly OT if Smith stays injury prone) than to keep 3 WRs whne two of them will cost big bucks. That's not a knock on any of the WRs. Just a knock on how bad we are at some positions.

Sydla

Reaction score
Probably not, but I'd put that at 80%, not 100.

Too many factors and events between now and then to fully rule it out.

I also don't believe Gallup will be offered anything close to #1 money by anyone.

If the team wants more of a cap dollar balance between offense and defense.....then I don't see how it's possible to keep both, but there's nothing about Jerry that tells me they may do that.

I go back and forth on what he might get. Sometimes, I think like you and see that maybe he'll get #2 money that we might be able to squeeze in. Then I remember that some teams are often dripping in cap space and do stupid things.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I say try and trade Cooper after this season as dead money is only $6M against $20M base salary. Dallas can run with Gallup and Lamb on the outside with a Cedrick Wilson type in the slot. The tough part is getting someone to take on Cooper's salary in a trade.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm not talking about stats. I'm talking about where each WR is at in their career, their skill level, and the value they bring. Cooper is going to get the most attention from a defense and he's going to see the better CB more often than CD will. Right now Cooper is more important to the team than CD is. CD may be able to fill Coopers role, but as of now I think Cooper is going to make life easier for CD, not the other way around.

Not willing to bet eh?

Lamb is the new #1 in Dallas and the numbers will bear that out this year. Lamb is the more skilled WR. I will give Cooper the edge on route running because he is the best there is.

kskboys

Reaction score
I love Gallup.

That being said, he is replaceable. Simply not worth a huge contract. Most WR's aren't. If he gets paid as a #1 in FA, there's a good chance he'll fail.

It'll be Feho time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I say try and trade Cooper after this season as dead money is only $6M against $20M base salary. Dallas can run with Gallup and Lamb on the outside with a Cedrick Wilson type in the slot. The tough part is getting someone to take on Cooper's salary in a trade.

I agree, but only if Gallup can be had for a reasonable price. If Gallup wants some 18 million per year, then I stick with Cooper.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not willing to bet eh?

Lamb is the new #1 in Dallas and the numbers will bear that out this year. Lamb is the more skilled WR. I will give Cooper the edge on route running because he is the best there is.
How is the better route runner not the #1?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This is Stephen Jones quote in an interview with Mike Florio. I've linked the entire interview. Clearly, COO Stephen Jones mindset is fixed on winning with a team friendly contracts and NOT market value contracts. That has been COO Stephen Jones predisposition going into contract negotiations. Stephen blames failure "decreasing chance to win" on QBs contracts taking up a "big" (*** does that mean) percentage....big is relative

Stephen Jones:
We’re just trying to do our very best working with Mike, working with Will McClay, to really divide up the pie in the best way possible to win a Super Bowl. There’s all sorts of analytics out there that show if your quarterback takes up too big a percentage of your salary cap, that it decreases your chances to win. We’re just trying to figure out the right fit.

Well, this is all great and all but so what? What does this interview have to do with the question I asked? You have x amount available for your cap, each year. You must spend x amount of cap, each year. What does that mean to you? Let me just break it down, you have a limited amount of money you can spend towards players salaries. That's it, that's the bottom line. There is no more, no less. If you are paying x amount out to a given player or position group, then that amount is accounted for against the cap year. You have that much less to spend on other player contracts in any given year. The team decided to pay Dak what they are paying him. There is no longer an excuse. While I think it was utterly stupid to do that, it makes no difference now. It won't be an excuse given by Jerry or Stephen, as to why they can or can't pay another player. It is dollars and cents available to do so. This is the price paid for doing what we did with Dak. You were all for it so don't go trying to lay it off on the team for not paying other players now. It's not like a lot of people didn't voice this concern. You knew full well what might happen if we overpaid for Dak. Don't even try to pass off the market value BS. You got what you wanted and this is what that means.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How is the better route runner not the #1?

Its not like Lamb is bad at routes. Cooper is just the best there is. Lamb more fluid, better hands, better after the catch, better high ball receiver, better athlete.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I go back and forth on what he might get. Sometimes, I think like you and see that maybe he'll get #2 money that we might be able to squeeze in. Then I remember that some teams are often dripping in cap space and do stupid things.
Lots of ball to be played in the interim.

Many things to happen. An early significant injury to either one of the three will drastically change Gallups numbers one way or the other.

It also will very much depend on how many of these one year guys we brought in will need to be retained.

I also think it depends on whatever becomes of the LVE situation. Hear me out on this....

The team isn't going to want to lose that entire class. Was only three years ago.

If they decide no on LVE.....Williams can't be given a second deal regardless, Armstrong isn't a fit, if Schultz doesn't prove to be much better than Jarwin he is gone also, and if he does, likely still gone....and your whole class of three years ago is elsewhere if you don't keep Gallup.

A terrible look for a team that uses only the draft to acquire top talent.

So I think Gallup and LVE are tied to each other a bit more than we may think....and for the wrong reasons.

kskboys

Reaction score
Its not like Lamb is bad at routes. Cooper is just the best there is. Lamb more fluid, better hands, better after the catch, better high ball receiver, better athlete.
I can see that, but the guy who gets open more consistently is generally going to be the #1.

I love Lamb, BTW, and view him as a co-#1.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I agree, but only if Gallup can be had for a reasonable price. If Gallup wants some 18 million per year, then I stick with Cooper.

Doubt someone throws $18M at Gallup. If Dallas puts him in the $10-$12M/year average I think he re-ups with Dallas and allows Dallas to try and trade Cooper.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I can see that, but the guy who gets open more consistently is generally going to be the #1.

I love Lamb, BTW, and view him as a co-#1.

Sure, but then you have to catch it and run with it. And who makes the tougher catches when they are well covered or in traffic?

#1 WR is easy to figure out. Its the guy with the better numbers. I think their numbers will be similar, but I have Lamb being better.