Michael Gallup throws cold water on Cowboys return after Mike McCarthy comments

zekecowboy

Reaction score
Michael Gallup says starting Week 1 “is not a realistic possibility” despite Mike McCarthy’s optimism
In the past few months, it’s become abundantly clear that Gallup won’t start Week 1. But any info beyond that has yet to be given. On day one of training camp, head coach Mike McCarthy was unsurprisingly asked for an update about one of his main receivers. The response seemed positive. While no one assumed that McCarthy’s quote meant Gallup would be ready the next day, it seemed more optimistic than what we later heard from the receiver himself.

McCarthy told the press that the receiver “looks really good” and “has not missed a target yet,” once again sparking hope in fans.

When reporters asked the receiver himself the next day, he finally gave some form of affirmative answer as to whether he would be able to play against the Bucs. The answer was, unfortunately, no.

Gallup told the press that starting Week 1 was not realistic and said he has “a little ways to go.”

https://thelandryhat.com/2022/07/29/cowboys-michael-gallup-injury-update-wont-play-week-1/

817Gill

Reaction score
“Hasn’t missed a target date” doesn’t mean he’ll be back for week 1 lol. This whole article is based on fbe premise that McCarthy expected him back week 1 which isn’t true.

Very much a “we need licks in August” article.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
MG, take your time. Fully heal and be ready when you come back. Meanwhile, we are going to get a very good idea of your value when we try to win games without you.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
“Hasn’t missed a target date” doesn’t mean he’ll be back for week 1 lol. This whole article is based on fbe premise that McCarthy expected him back week 1 which isn’t true.

This

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Jerry or Stephen was alluding to the fact he could be back Week 1 earlier this off-season.

817Gill

Reaction score
Jerry or Stephen was alluding to the fact he could be back Week 1 earlier this off-season.
I hear ya but optimism in March shouldn’t be held onto to the point that we are making it seem like it’s a setback if he’s not out there game 1.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
SMDH at these kind of “articles” and the people that think it’s news....

ESisback

Reaction score
“Journalists” desperate for click$ in July will twist anything to manufacture drama. My guess is he doesn’t see the field until Halloween, with measurable contribution by sometime in November.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s longer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
slacker-lazy.gif

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Michael Gallup says starting Week 1 “is not a realistic possibility” despite Mike McCarthy’s optimism
In the past few months, it’s become abundantly clear that Gallup won’t start Week 1. But any info beyond that has yet to be given. On day one of training camp, head coach Mike McCarthy was unsurprisingly asked for an update about one of his main receivers. The response seemed positive. While no one assumed that McCarthy’s quote meant Gallup would be ready the next day, it seemed more optimistic than what we later heard from the receiver himself.

McCarthy told the press that the receiver “looks really good” and “has not missed a target yet,” once again sparking hope in fans.

When reporters asked the receiver himself the next day, he finally gave some form of affirmative answer as to whether he would be able to play against the Bucs. The answer was, unfortunately, no.

Gallup told the press that starting Week 1 was not realistic and said he has “a little ways to go.”

https://thelandryhat.com/2022/07/29/cowboys-michael-gallup-injury-update-wont-play-week-1/
The player would know best!

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't know of too many people at thought he'd be back week 1. A realistic estimate is a week or two before the bye.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
I don't know of too many people at thought he'd be back week 1. A realistic estimate is a week or two before the bye.

I had some people arguing with me that Gallup would be starting game 1 back before the 2022 draft because the Cowboys stated he could be starting at beginning of season. He will be playing right before the bye (Halloween) or after the bye November 13th.

Flamma

Reaction score
I had some people arguing with me that Gallup would be starting game 1 back before the 2022 draft because the Cowboys stated he could be starting at beginning of season. He will be playing right before the bye (Halloween) or after the bye November 13th.

Yeah, and that may be pushing it. But it's a realistic estimate. Cases where an athlete can play after that injury in 6-7 months is extremely rare to nonexistent.