Twitter: Michael Irvin: Bring back Dez Bryant now!

plasticman

Reaction score
Dez opened the offense,he had to be accounted for whether he caught the ball or not. He made it easier for other WR's to get open.Not having him has exposed Beasely. Dez was an excellent downfield blocker, perhaps better than any TE on the team today. His greatest issue was that he was never worth 14 mil a year.

The Cowboys won't do it. Jerry won't do it. It would be admitting he was wrong. Good luck with that.

T-RO

Reaction score
Dez opened the offense,he had to be accounted for whether he caught the ball or not. He made it easier for other WR's to get open.Not having him has exposed Beasely. Dez was an excellent downfield blocker, perhaps better than any TE on the team today. His greatest issue was that he was never worth 14 mil a year.

The Cowboys won't do it. Jerry won't do it. It would be admitting he was wrong. Good luck with that.

-Dez was only drawing single coverage...so defenses didn’t seem to concerned with “accounting” for him.
-Because teams didn’t double him they would often bracket Beez
-Beez has been getting open a ton...Dak just isn’t delivering

How the hell were the Cowboys “wrong” to release a guy who was making $10mil plus and was delivering third world production?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I am not opposed to bringing Dez back, if the money is right and if he is in shape. I mean, if Dez would have accepted a pay cut, he would be here right now. I don't think this is an issue of standing in the way of developing younger players because honestly, how many young WRs do we actually have on the team? Dez ain't going to stop Gallup. I will say this thou, the idea that Dez is in his prime is ridiculous IMO. He is well passed his prime. In his prime, he was a dominating player in this league. Those days are behind him now. This does not mean that he can not be effective for us or contribute. Far from it IMO. The problem, IMO, is Dak. I don't believe Dak wants Dez on the team. JMO

rags747

Reaction score
-Dez was only drawing single coverage...so defenses didn’t seem to concerned with “accounting” for him.
-Because teams didn’t double him they would often bracket Beez
-Beez has been getting open a ton...Dak just isn’t delivering

How the hell were the Cowboys “wrong” to release a guy who was making $10mil plus and was delivering third world production?
Third World production...I like that!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I don't think this is about Jerry. IMO, Jerry would bring him back in a heart beat if Dak were on board with it. JMO

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Over 95% of the teams in the NFL not wanting is definitely not a bad thing. What was I thinking? Dez just tweeted again....now he wants to play with the Eagles opposite Alshon. I wish I was making this stuff up. Stop it Dez!!! #Thirsty

Dez has said multiple times he wants to play with a contender.

I don't think you understand the NFL - do you think 32 teams call every free agent that hits the market? Again, Dez is nearing 30 with 3 2 injury plagued years and a disappointing 2017 season and still had a team wanting to give him a long term contract and 2 other teams that pushed hard to get him and that's ALL that we know of, we don't know other teams that may have had some interest in him.

Whether it's the right decision or not, Dez simply doesn't want to play with a loser right now...outside of maybe the Cowboys and I'm thinking that has something to do with proving something to the Jones duo.

risco

Reaction score
...I don't entirely understand why you think 3 teams in the NFL wanting Dez is somehow a knock against him. He's pushing 30 an will want some decent money. The fact that 3 teams wanted him and one of them wanting to give him a long term contract is actually a positive at his age. Especially for someone who hasn't had a 1,000 yard season since 2014. The league still likes Dez, Dez is banking on a contender losing a key offensive player so he can step in.

I don't blame him. He's running out of time to get a ring and has enough money to sit by and wait for a good team to call.
Very well stated- some folks around here still don’t understand the business aspect of the game.

T-RO

Reaction score

I don't think you understand the NFL - do you think 32 teams call every free agent that hits the market? Again, Dez is nearing 30 with 3 2 injury plagued years and a disappointing 2017 season and still had a team wanting to give him a long term contract and 2 other teams that pushed hard to get him and that's ALL that we know of, we don't know other teams that may have had some interest in him.

Whether it's the right decision or not, Dez simply doesn't want to play with a loser right now...outside of maybe the Cowboys and I'm thinking that has something to do with proving something to the Jones duo.

Dez is in no position to pick and choose. He has something between 0 and 3 years left to play football. It’s week six and he’s watching games on TV. The clock is ticking down fast on his career.

I think your premise of Dez being “picky” isn’t correct at all. Maybe it was early on, when he declined Ravens offer. There are flat zero teams that want him right now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

If you have a player who is one of the best in the league at his position, especially if that position is WR, every team in the league better be calling, if only to see what the asking price is and what it might take. If you aren't doing that, then you don't care enough to win because that's the job of a personnel department in the NFL.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dez is in no position to pick and choose. He has something between 0 and 3 years left to play football. It’s week six and he’s watching games on TV.

I think your premise of Dez being “picky” isn’t correct at all. Maybe it was early on, when he declined Ravens offer. There are flat zero teams that want him right now.

....Dez stated recently what kind of team he wants to play for. He wants to play for a contender - As I stated, we can debate if this is the right route to go and if it was the right decision to turn down a multi-year deal from the Ravens, but as of now, it's easy to see he's banking on a contender later in the season losing someone on offense and them getting desperate and bringing him in.

Frankly, I don't really care where Dez ends up. He's a WR and WRs need to stop being overrated by the league and people on this forum - I do, however, think it's ridiculous the vitriol being thrown his way the same with some on here criticizing Romo when people were pretty much humping him a couple years ago. It's petty, it's immature, and you're no better than Dez - at least Dez has an actual REAL connection to the Cowboys, the staff, and the owner. Honestly, a lot of his criticisms of the Cowboys are starting to ring true, so the hell is all this hate for...he seems to be on most of our side in the debate LOL

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If you have a player who is one of the best in the league at his position, especially if that position is WR, every team in the league better be calling, if only to see what the asking price is and what it might take. If you aren't doing that, then you don't care enough to win because that's the job of a personnel department in the NFL.

Who is saying Dez is anywhere near the best right? And "the best in the league" very rarely ever hit the market in their prime. Can you remember the last one that did?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Who is saying Dez is anywhere near the best right? And "the best in the league" very rarely ever hit the market in their prime. Can you remember the last one that did?

Matter of opinion but it does happen on occasion. The point in this case thou, is that Dez is not at guy. The first poster makes the comment that he is in the Middle of his Prime. I don't think that's the case.