Michael Irvin "Dak has his receivers now"

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Jkyle, Sep 13, 2019 at 11:42 AM.

1. Jkyle

Jkyle Well-Known Member

309 Messages
    758 Likes Received
    Irvin made a good point saying Dak finally has receivers suited to his game.
    Before, he had to deal with WRs that were more suited for Romo.
    Instead of jump ball and imprecise route running WRs, he now has WRs that run precise routes.
    Romo was able to throw his receivers open by adjusting to their patterns and putting the ball in positions that they could out maneuver the CBs.
    Dak seems more comfortable throwing to defined patterns and now he has a core that can better suite his abilities.

2. Tenkamenin

Tenkamenin Well-Known Member

3,662 Messages
    2,982 Likes Received
    I agree our receivers are better, but we would've been effective with this system with Dez, Cole, and Williams.

catiii, Proof and tyke1doe like this.
  3. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Well-Known Member

675 Messages
    2,521 Likes Received
    Dallas has all the tools they need to "March to the Superbowl". They have a loaded roster, innovative play calling and facilities that are 2nd to none. If the team does not win the players can only look in the mirror. This is their year.

Take it game by game and be fully committed to focusing on the next opponent.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2019 at 12:13 PM
    catiii and JJB500 like this.
  4. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

39,144 Messages
    16,759 Likes Received
    It's the system not the receivers. That implies that Dez, Beasley and Williams were awful. They weren't. But we had exactly NO creativity on offense. No motion. No rubs. No "pick" plays.
    We FINALLY decide to change the offense (why Jason Garrett hasn't been fired for not figuring this out like 9 years ago, I don't know), and look at the results - well, for at least one game.

catiii, Proof, boxer-rumble and 2 others like this.
  5. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

7,759 Messages
    938 Likes Received
    With time, Dak will learn to throw WR's open on a more consistent basis. I am happy he is hitting open WR's and very impressed with his improvement. Better release point. Better footwork, reading the defense, etc. Can't wait to see how he performs against a serious pass rush.

catiii likes this.
  6. cern

cern Well-Known Member

7,543 Messages
    9,952 Likes Received
    i'm not so sure. dez couldn't run good routes. Beasley was good only in the slot. and Williams couldn't hold on to the ball. in just one year we went from wr by committee which failed to having one of the best, if not the best group of wr's in the nfl. the new oc is a breath of fresh air. mcclay, stephen, sanjay lal and moore deserve a lot of credit.

Maverick84, Sepia and Tenkamenin like this.
  7. Tabascocat

Tabascocat Dexternjack Zone Supporter

18,228 Messages
    19,052 Likes Received
    I’m just thankful that our receivers can get some YAC now instead of being stopped wherever the pass ends up. It looked like the run-n-shoot out there :flagwave:

8. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

21,025 Messages
    13,054 Likes Received
    To an extent. You can scheme players open, but you can't change who they are. Dez's game was always about being able to outphysical defenders, so he was open even when he wasn't open with the right quarterback. Dak was not the right quarterback for that kind of play.

Take the end-zone throw to Cooper on Sunday. Cooper used his route-running and speed to beat the defender one-on-one and get open to where Dak could drop the ball in there. If that had been Dez, there likely would not have been that separation because he doesn't have that kind of speed or route-running ability, but Romo would have thrown the ball where Dez could have gone up and got it. (Not saying Dez never got separation because there are plenty of examples of that.)

adbutcher, WarDaddy, JonJon and 2 others like this.
  9. tyke1doe

39,144 Messages
    16,759 Likes Received
    And this is what's missing in the Dak analysis. People are afraid to be called a "Dak hater" and, yes, he did a great job. But he had open receivers ALL OVER THE FIELD! He had open receivers last year and couldn't hit them. He has open receivers now, and he can make those passes. But unless you're a woefully inaccurate quarterback, duh! You're supposed to be able to complete passes against open receivers when you're standing in a clean pocket.
    That's why I'm saying, "Great game" but I'm not evaluating Dak or the Cowboys on a victory, at home, against the sorry Giants who likely were surprised we changed up our offense. The Giants were probably studying last year's offense and weren't prepared. All these "subtle" influences are important. But if you're caught up in the rah, rah, you don't see those things and then your world comes crashing down when Dak or the Cowboys have a bad game.
    I want to see the offense when a team has studied our new offense, has corners who can lock down our receivers and has a pass rush that will make Dak move in the pocket.
    That's not hating. It's being the consummate skeptic, such that I am. ;)

JBond, boxer-rumble and Kevinicus like this.
  10. tyke1doe

39,144 Messages
    16,759 Likes Received
    Yeah, I thought about adding to what I said to address the fact that Dez wasn't a great route runner. Thanks for doing my work for me. :)

11. SportsGuru80

SportsGuru80 CowboysYanksLakers

7,804 Messages
    3,782 Likes Received
    Irvin is correct, these WRs can run any route in the tree.

Irvin88_4life and cern like this.
  12. Daktozekecoop

Daktozekecoop Well-Known Member

433 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    Not as effective imo. Cole had good hands, but not so much Dez and Williams. Randall, Gallup, and Cooper, are better route runners and better hands. Just simply better.

Irvin88_4life likes this.
  13. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

20,301 Messages
    12,861 Likes Received
    If you are talking about the offense, I agree. The defense still isn't where it needs to be. And we still have the horrid Garrett as HC. Although Moore taking over the offense has mitigated that problem to a degree. The only thing that Garrett can screw up now is clock management I suppose.

Legend likes this.
  14. Tenkamenin

Tenkamenin Well-Known Member

3,662 Messages
    2,982 Likes Received
    Linehan's offense was too predictable, and it made the passing game difficult. Moore's offense is more balanced, and when Zeke gets going, we'll effectively use play-action to create separation and exploit various matchups which we rarely did under Linehan's system. I'm not saying Dez and co. are better than this group because they're not, but I do believe that they would've performed better under this system versus Linehan's.

15. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

7,245 Messages
    11,793 Likes Received
    Can someone explain "throwing a WR open"

Irvin88_4life likes this.
  16. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Staff Member

40,506 Messages
    21,266 Likes Received
    [​IMG]
    Yes you do.

Hennessy_King and tyke1doe like this.
  17. Brax

Brax Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    1,179 Likes Received
    Everything based on One game and it's the superbowl for so many, wonder what happens when a bad game or 2 appear? When will the hype train people ever learn. I'm with you lets wait a few games against quality teams before the banners fly.

tyke1doe likes this.
  18. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

7,245 Messages
    11,793 Likes Received
    There's more to the QB position than throwing passes........lot more.

Awakened likes this.
  19. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Staff Member

40,506 Messages
    21,266 Likes Received
    The quarterback passes to a spot he determines the receiver can adjust to the ball while it is in the air and have a better than 50/50 chance of hauling it in while in tight coverage. The quarterback is dependent upon the receiver quickly realizing the ball will not be thrown in the intended area as drawn up by the play design.

20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

54,023 Messages
    87,028 Likes Received
    Sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me.