Michael Lombardi nugget on Hill

conner01

Reaction score
has Anyone watched the game film between our second and 4th round picks from last year? I will go on record that I think Dallas got the two best non starters in the game :)
Non starters that turn into starters are great picks

AbeBeta

Reaction score
—And the steal of the entire draft might have a selection by the Dallas Cowboys, who nabbed Central Florida defensive tackle Trysten Hill late in the second round. Hill can control the line of scrimmage, play with quickness and power, and has the talent to become a Pro Bowl player. If Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli gets Hill to play with a consistent effort, he will impact their defense in the years to come.

I'd love to believe this but here's a guy who is praised for his motor and this dude is talking about "consistent effort." Makes no sense

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I hope LVE has 200 tackles and makes All-Pro, But please stop the wolf howl thing,

Why? If he becomes a generational player, it'll become a recognizable and important part of his brand. Like Ray Lewis's entrance dance or Deion's touchdown two-step. Meantime, the kid is just having fun.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
—And the steal of the entire draft might have a selection by the Dallas Cowboys, who nabbed Central Florida defensive tackle Trysten Hill late in the second round. Hill can control the line of scrimmage, play with quickness and power, and has the talent to become a Pro Bowl player. If Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli gets Hill to play with a consistent effort, he will impact their defense in the years to come.

Said the same thing about Willie Blades...we will see. :popcorn:

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Let’s hope so.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
That sure sounds encouraging.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out where you got " that it appears that he is a headcase." Nothing I've read or heard about this kid indicates he's a trouble maker or head case. He had problems with a changed coaching staff, but he still played.
You answered your own question

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the Hill pick; all I heard from people who have dealt with him is terms like "coach killer" and "troubled". Was told he doesn't handle things well when they don't go his way

I would like to hear from the people that has actually “dealt” with him as you say. All I have read as been that he had issues with the new coaching staff and this has never came from anyone on the staff. Not one quote! And even those reports NEVER used the phrase “coach killer” or “troubled”.

I wait on a link to stand corrected.

dfense

Reaction score
Why? If he becomes a generational player, it'll become a recognizable and important part of his brand. Like Ray Lewis's entrance dance or Deion's touchdown two-step. Meantime, the kid is just having fun.
Well, I hated the Ray Lewis thing to. I always pictured him doing that dance with a knife in his hand.
:eek:

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Hill reminds me of Dez Bryant, and that's not a good thing. I wouldn't call Dez lazy, as he would play with just totally reckless abandon when the ball was going this way. No one wanted that first down more than Dez. But he'd mentally check out if he wasn't getting thrown at, or would lose his cool when CBs started jamming and getting up in his face, or blow up on his coaches on the sideline when things weren't going his way. And then he never developed technically past his rookie year, so I don't think he was exactly giving it 100% in practice.

When I see Hill consistently sprinting 30 yards downfield on film, even when he has no chance of making the play, then hear about how he's getting benched because he loafs in practice, it just reminds me so much of Dez. It's that same sort of selective effort, probably brought on more by immaturity than apathy. Ronnie Coleman famously said that "everyone wants to be a bodybuilder, but no one wants to lift no heavy-*** weights!". Same kind of thing here. If you want to be a star football player, you need to put in the reps in practice or you'll become a has-been real quickly.

The problem is that this is a 22 year old who now has millions of dollars after his signing bonus plus a world of enablers. I don't know anything about Hill specifically, but my odds for any immature young man to grow up in that kind of situation are slim.

LittleD

Reaction score
Hill reminds me of Dez Bryant, and that's not a good thing. I wouldn't call Dez lazy, as he would play with just totally reckless abandon when the ball was going this way. No one wanted that first down more than Dez. But he'd mentally check out if he wasn't getting thrown at, or would lose his cool when CBs started jamming and getting up in his face, or blow up on his coaches on the sideline when things weren't going his way. And then he never developed technically past his rookie year, so I don't think he was exactly giving it 100% in practice.

When I see Hill consistently sprinting 30 yards downfield on film, even when he has no chance of making the play, then hear about how he's getting benched because he loafs in practice, it just reminds me so much of Dez. It's that same sort of selective effort, probably brought on more by immaturity than apathy. Ronnie Coleman famously said that "everyone wants to be a bodybuilder, but no one wants to lift no heavy-*** weights!". Same kind of thing here. If you want to be a star football player, you need to put in the reps in practice or you'll become a has-been real quickly.

The problem is that this is a 22 year old who now has millions of dollars after his signing bonus plus a world of enablers. I don't know anything about Hill specifically, but my odds for any immature young man to grow up in that kind of situation are slim.

If you look back on the history of the NFL, there have been several players on different teams that played like hell on Sunday but, didn't care much for practice during the week. To them, the games were fun and participation in that joy was like a drug... Practice seemed more like work and they didn't care much for work. Some people and some players are just wired that way. We've had our share of those on the Cowboys over the years.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
If you look back on the history of the NFL, there have been several players on different teams that played like hell on Sunday but, didn't care much for practice during the week. To them, the games were fun and participation in that joy was like a drug... Practice seemed more like work and they didn't care much for work. Some people and some players are just wired that way. We've had our share of those on the Cowboys over the years.

For sure; most players hate practice. Working 8-10 hours a day with coaches yelling at you while your body's feeling like crap from months of injuries sucks. That's where the maturity kicks in - games are games, but practice is a job, and you have to do it.

If I had to find a poster child for practice paying off, I'd point at D-Law. Came into the league as a second rounder who was fairly athletic but not as much as Hill. His rookie contract was for around $5 million - and he could have pocketed that, chilled in practice, lived it up, and probably been out of the league by this time. Instead, he grinded on technique until he become a walking clinic and arguably the most technically refined DE in the game. He paired that with his athleticism and turned that $5 million into a $17M franchise tag and a $60M guaranteed contract. Now he's one of the richest players in football, he goes to Pro Bowls, he's a household name - practice is basically what turned him into an NFL star.