Reaction score

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Mickey won't hesitate to take an arrogant stance with his scolding presentations to fans.

Perhaps this has much to do with his ongoing lack of popularity, not to mention respect.

Yet, he makes a valid point or two. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you for the effort, but it just reads like more of his crap to me.

It wasn't a real good article, but not horrible either. Didn't really say much.
The only thing that stood out to me me, and I agree. As I made similar comments, about the 2 DE's drafted, as fans already have them making the team and having an impact.
I say PS at best unless injuries. However, the staff for some dumb reason likes to keep all these 5th round DE's for a few years. Only to replace them with another 5th round DE end pick.

I hope they work out, because they are our draft picks. But right now until I see them in TC, just PS material.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An article from Mickey. Not one of his better pieces, but he does make some good points as usual. But also has some head scratcher comments. Though he is hated on here, enjoy. :D

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-braking-for-premature-assumptions

So Mickey haters, pick it apart. :popcorn: :laugh:

Besides we need some different topics.

With penny pincher Stephen Jones running the show, I don't know if Tyrone Crawford is a lock to be on the 53 for game 1.

Marinelli loves him, but the 7M salary is likely highlighted on Stephen's salary cap spreadsheet.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I particularly liked the non-sequitur with which he ended the piece

As Jason Garrett says, and with a smile on his face, “I think it’s going to be very competitive all across that defensive front for guys to make this football team. Guys to fight for playing time.”

Meaning don’t jump ahead with post-draft presumptions.

Actually, what it means is that Garrett expects the guys the team picked up in FA and the draft to be able to compete for spots and playing time. Which kinda suggests that one or two (or more) of these guys might actually be able to sneak onto the roster and get some snaps. Which kinda undercuts Mickey's premise that we shouldn't be getting ahead of ourselves. But whatever.

pansophy

Reaction score
He is actually making a case that we drafted a bunch of depth players when in fact we need some impact players if we want to get to the next level. That's why people are trying to figure out where they start day 1 because no one sees how we are better this year unless that's true.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
He is actually making a case that we drafted a bunch of depth players when in fact we need some impact players if we want to get to the next level. That's why people are trying to figure out where they start day 1 because no one sees how we are better this year unless that's true.

You can improve a team without finding a new starter, especially on this defense since there's so much rotation.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
An article from Mickey. Not one of his better pieces, but he does make some good points as usual. But also has some head scratcher comments. Though he is hated on here, enjoy. :D

He makes a good point about assuming unproven players are just gonna push vets out.

I mean, if they were so good, why were they available?

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
I never forget how wrong Mickey was about the people that wanted to start Romo over Bledsoe.

snapper

Reaction score
You can improve a team without finding a new starter, especially on this defense since there's so much rotation.

This.

More than a few Cowboys personnel have implied the Dallas defense, especially the d-line, ran out of gas. They could neither pressure the QB, nor stop the run at the end of the season/playoffs.

The depth will add competition and talent into the rotation. I'm all for that when it helps guys stay fresh throughout the season.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
This.

More than a few Cowboys personnel have implied the Dallas defense, especially the d-line, ran out of gas. They could neither pressure the QB, nor stop the run at the end of the season/playoffs.

The depth will add competition and talent into the rotation. I'm all for that when it helps guys stay fresh throughout the season.

In my opinion we're as deep at DT and DE as we have been in the last decade after this offseason.

You might not know it from reading this board but we had a pretty damn good defense last year and we didnt really lose anyone. However, we gained Quinn, Hyder, Covington, Hill, and some late round picks that could go either way, like every late round pick.

It might not be a sudden transition to the best DL of the decade but its hard to imagine taking a step back. The coaches have all of last years group and some promising acquisitions to build their best DL. The floor should be what we saw last year.

Combine this with an OL that also has some competition heating up and the return of Frederick, and I think we're going to be pretty stout at the LOS on both sides of the ball by end of TC.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion we're as deep at DT and DE as we have been in the last decade after this offseason.

You might not know it from reading this board but we had a pretty damn good defense last year and we didnt really lose anyone. However, we gained Quinn, Hyder, Covington, Hill, and some late round picks that could go either way, like every late round pick.

It might not be a sudden transition to the best DL of the decade but its hard to imagine taking a step back. The coaches have all of last years group and some promising acquisitions to build their best DL. The floor should be what we saw last year.

Combine this with an OL that also has some competition heating up and the return of Frederick, and I think we're going to be pretty stout at the LOS on both sides of the ball by end of TC.

Great post.
And some won't like it. :muttley:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It wasn't a real good article, but not horrible either. Didn't really say much.
The only thing that stood out to me me, and I agree. As I made similar comments, about the 2 DE's drafted, as fans already have them making the team and having an impact.
I say PS at best unless injuries. However, the staff for some dumb reason likes to keep all these 5th round DE's for a few years. Only to replace them with another 5th round DE end pick.

I hope they work out, because they are our draft picks. But right now until I see them in TC, just PS material.

I got a kick of of the team shill 'guaranteeing' Crawford's spot, and then trying to figure out where to fit him in. And he has the nerve to lecture others about putting together a team.

:facepalm:

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He does make some good points. Everyone has a right to their opinion, despite the occasional tenor of his posts. If he wrote critiques of the Cowboys and the FO the way we sometimes post our vitriol, he wouldn't be around Cowboys' HQ very long.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score

As of now, we’re minus Gregory. He’s a significant loss though I’d say the addition of Quinn offsets it. Assuming Gregory and Quinn cancel out, we’re really talking about what Hill and Covington can bring to the DT rotation (I think they’re significant adds) and what Hyder and improvement from some of our existing DE prospects like Dorance and Taco might add. I don’t see Jackson or Jelks being real threats for spots (and definitely not for snaps) at this point.

But overall, yeah, this looks like a deeper DL rotation to me (it’ll look really deep if Gregory is able to come back). O-line depth looks good too, as you suggest.