Mickey's latest article about premature assumptions

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As of now, we’re minus Gregory. He’s a significant loss though I’d say the addition of Quinn offsets it. Assuming Gregory and Quinn cancel out, we’re really talking about what Hill and Covington can bring to the DT rotation (I think they’re significant adds) and what Hyder and improvement from some of our existing DE prospects like Dorance and Taco might add. I don’t see Jackson or Jelks being real threats for spots (and definitely not for snaps) at this point.

But overall, yeah, this looks like a deeper DL rotation to me (it’ll look really deep if Gregory is able to come back). O-line depth looks good too, as you suggest.
It certainly gives us more options and depth, and we know some guys will go down with injuries.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
He is actually making a case that we drafted a bunch of depth players when in fact we need some impact players if we want to get to the next level. That's why people are trying to figure out where they start day 1 because no one sees how we are better this year unless that's true.

For those that don't get the dept thing it's really very simple. If a team has GOOD players as depth, they can rotate players WITHOUT a huge drop in play so the starters don't get worn out by the 4th quarter. Or for the less desirable situation if there is an injury they will have a good player to step in. This team has some impact players and no team has impact players at every position. I think you'll find more coaches that would rather have a team that plays good solid games being able to rotate players keeping them as fresh as possible than having to rely on a couple of impact players and other positions getting beat because of not being able to rotate players without a big drop in play. All anyone has to do is think back to the 90's when the Cowboys rotated players along the defensive line all game long without any drop in play.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Edited:
I would imagine media coverage for any sports team is like eating cactus - very carefully done and with a healthy portion of wine.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
An article from Mickey. Not one of his better pieces, but he does make some good points as usual. But also has some head scratcher comments. Though he is hated on here, enjoy. :D

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/spagnola-braking-for-premature-assumptions

So Mickey haters, pick it apart. :popcorn: :laugh:

Besides we need some different topics.

Can somebody give me an update of how deep Mickey right now is in JJs bud ?

Does he already crossed the colon and is heading for the small testine ? I know he wanted to reach the stomach next year but i lost the overview because of our busy FA offseason and the draft.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can somebody give me an update of how deep Mickey right now is in JJs bud ?

Does he already crossed the colon and is heading for the small testine ? I know he wanted to reach the stomach next year but i lost the overview because of our busy FA offseason and the draft.

:facepalm: What does this have to do with anything. Just a stupid post.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
As of now, we’re minus Gregory. He’s a significant loss though I’d say the addition of Quinn offsets it. Assuming Gregory and Quinn cancel out, we’re really talking about what Hill and Covington can bring to the DT rotation (I think they’re significant adds) and what Hyder and improvement from some of our existing DE prospects like Dorance and Taco might add. I don’t see Jackson or Jelks being real threats for spots (and definitely not for snaps) at this point.

But overall, yeah, this looks like a deeper DL rotation to me (it’ll look really deep if Gregory is able to come back). O-line depth looks good too, as you suggest.

I agree on all points and I think you did a good job here of setting expectations on a player-by-player basis.

I think those late round picks I mentioned have a higher chance in the secondary than on the DL of contributing now. I guess Richards is super hyped about the DBs and I haven't been given reason not to trust him. That being said, it's pretty hard to predict if someone is a diamond in the rough, it'll just have to play out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mickey won't hesitate to take an arrogant stance with his scolding presentations to fans.

Perhaps this has much to do with his ongoing lack of popularity, not to mention respect.

Yet, he makes a valid point or two. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Yeah, gotta love how someone who has no idea what they're talking about can be so unaware of it that they come off as arrogant, and condescending to others. Mickey brings down the quality of whatever of the Cowboys shows that he occupies.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
So a few years back Rod says the D-line room is crowded no need to draft a DT now Mickey is saying Rod is happy the room is crowded.

It will be awhile before we know if we got any starters in this draft I could of told you that after the draft

Whyjerry

Reaction score

stinkface

Reaction score
RbNLCaC.jpg

cern

Reaction score
mickey has always been a babbler and blatherer. assumptions are presupposed, not premature.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is the purpose of that article? All 32 team's fanbases play the same game after the draft, this guy's in, that guy's out with all kinds of assumptions and just what is a premature assumption, aren't all assumptions premature?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
He is actually making a case that we drafted a bunch of depth players when in fact we need some impact players if we want to get to the next level. That's why people are trying to figure out where they start day 1 because no one sees how we are better this year unless that's true.
If you need rookies to start then your team isn't that good to begin with. Quinn is a starter that we added as will Cobb as the slot receiver. Witten is back plus Iloka has a chance to start.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Maybe it's just me....but I would still bring in Malik Mcdowell. Besides Hill and Collins....I feel like we still have a bunch of JAGs @ DT. :popcorn:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Take your time and think about it again. If you dont get it i will explain it to you by saturday.

Very stupid of you to post this. Shows me you know nothing.
As if it takes you that long to explain it, maybe you should go get some education.