Mike Bascik Spills Some Tea on Dak Situation

coult44

Reaction score
Sounds like total bull and Mike Bascik - whoever that is - is just trying to get clicks.

I don't know why people hang on this stuff as if there's any truth to it. This is entirely the opposite of every other repor.t

Believe who and what you want, but the local guys (that even you can listen to daily for 12 hours a day), are far more knowledgeable about what’s happening than the national guys ever are.

Mannix

Reaction score
Bascik seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy to me. Ii true, I can think of only two words to remedy this long played out situation....TREY LANCE!!!!

JBond

Reaction score
None of us should be surprised if this medical issue is true. That was a serious injury of various proportions. I said as much that I expected Jerry to tag Dak in order to give the team time to see how Dak performs on that injured lower leg.

With this said, I would not be surprised if Jerry uses that #10 overall pick or a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a QB.
Roll the dice early.

cowboyec

Reaction score
personally...i hope there's nothing to this.
but if its true...i hope either we trade for russell wilson or that when we're on the clock...fields or lance is there.

TWOK11

Reaction score
This is a crazy development.

No it isn’t, it’s hearsay from someone who is not in a position to know what he claims to know. Moreover, Bascik is WILDLY pessimistic. He guaranteed Jaylon Smith would never walk correctly again let alone play football after Dallas drafted him.

ShaneFalco

Reaction score
Bascik seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy to me. Ii true, I can think of only two words to remedy this long played out situation....TREY LANCE!!!!

Whats his accuracy from the pocket? Not his completion % which is a mirage of a stat and even made worse by playing high school level kids who will be selling insurance this time next year like Lance played against. His passing accuracy. From the pocket.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Believe who and what you want, but the local guys (that even you can listen to daily for 12 hours a day), are far more knowledgeable about what’s happening than the national guys ever are.

Exactly. And Bascik is not a hack like some here are trying to portray him to be. He’s a former Major League Baseball pitcher and his information is usually pretty good.

Here is an article about what he said and the audio - I didn’t see it posted elsewhere in the thread unless I missed it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...-talk-show-host-of-dallas-cowboys-qb-prescott

It starts around minute 1:56 of the video.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Anyone hear Cross Talk between Shan & RJ and the K&C Masterpiece this morning on the Fan? Mike Bascik flew off the rails on the Dak contract discussion and made some seriously bold claims.

He said he wasn't allowed to divulge the fine details, but mentioned that Dak is dealing with more than simply a broken ankle and these next 5 to 6 months are absolutely critical for rehab and basically determining if Dak can play football ever again. Mike said that there is a real "20 percent chance" that Dak never plays football again. Mentioned that the Cowboys are aware of the issue that he knows about, and said that it looks like almost an impossibility that the Cowboys fork over 170+ million dollars to a QB that's dealing with what Dak is dealing with. Also mentioned that releasing him after June with a franchise tag is also a realistic possibility.

I'm not strongly for or against Dak being signed here long term, but this certainly ignites some serious discussion. And for the clowns on this forum that will immediately dismiss this as fake news, Bascik is extremely plugged into the network in the Metroplex and also has numerous connections in the local medical network, since he himself is married to a physician. He was dropping hints of Dak having a second surgery over a month before national media got a hold of that story.

With free agency looking exciting, and with the 10th pick in the draft, I'd expect the Cowboys to play any serious threat to Dak's career very close to the vest. We won't want teams to know that we *need* a starter, and aren't just exploring alternatives to Dak.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
If Dak is dealing with other issues that can affect his career... then ok, wait and see approach. That would be a huge blow for all of us that support Dak. He broke that leg bad, it would be a shame for this to be the end of his career.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jeez, Louise -- first, the Dak predictions say he's "ahead of schedule" and now, this?! :omg: :eek:

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score

There's a reason he has all of those TDs and no picks. He's your typical school yard quarterback. If the first read is not there he takes off and runs or buys time for a busted play pass. It's clear to see in all of his highlights. That can work in college, not the NFL. Ask Johnny Manziel.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
My father is actually a retired orthopedic surgeon and he said that what happened to Dak was serious stuff. I wouldnt be shocked if that was the case. If there is anything to worry about in that regard then looking at QB in this draft is something they have to do.

Could you ask your father specifically about the second surgery which was on the deltoid ligament in the ankle? From basic internet searches this is a very strong ligament and surgery on it is not usual. Surgery on this ligament is usually a last resort after all other conservative options do not work. Is surgery on the deltoid ligament only for serious damage or do they typically do clean up on that ligament. If the deltoid ligament surgery involved a graft from another ligament, what does that mean as far as playing football and healing timeframe?

Cmac

Reaction score
Anyone hear Cross Talk between Shan & RJ and the K&C Masterpiece this morning on the Fan? Mike Bascik flew off the rails on the Dak contract discussion and made some seriously bold claims.

He said he wasn't allowed to divulge the fine details, but mentioned that Dak is dealing with more than simply a broken ankle and these next 5 to 6 months are absolutely critical for rehab and basically determining if Dak can play football ever again. Mike said that there is a real "20 percent chance" that Dak never plays football again. Mentioned that the Cowboys are aware of the issue that he knows about, and said that it looks like almost an impossibility that the Cowboys fork over 170+ million dollars to a QB that's dealing with what Dak is dealing with. Also mentioned that releasing him after June with a franchise tag is also a realistic possibility.

I'm not strongly for or against Dak being signed here long term, but this certainly ignites some serious discussion. And for the clowns on this forum that will immediately dismiss this as fake news, Bascik is extremely plugged into the network in the Metroplex and also has numerous connections in the local medical network, since he himself is married to a physician. He was dropping hints of Dak having a second surgery over a month before national media got a hold of that story.

No offense......but I didn't read any merit in this story.....yet.

Cmac

Reaction score

3 words.….North Dakota State.

Hadenough

Reaction score

Ive been saying this for months now. Dak is damaged goods and even if he does come back and play he might not be the same. Either way the Cowboys should not gamble on giving him a big multi year contract. If they franchise Dak and he does come back and play well he is gone. No way he will stay with the Cowboys after being forced to gamble his career two years in a row. I like Dak and hope he has a complete recovery and plays in the NFL but thats a very tough injury he had and he may never the same player.

GINeric

Reaction score
Would you pay Alex Smith 175M?

I wouldn't have paid Alex Smith that type of money BEFORE the surgery.... people tend to forget that Smith got his job taken by Kaepernick... a guy who couldn't even get a job in the NFL anymore. What does that say about how good Smith REALLY is???

Mr_437

Reaction score
Ive been saying this for months now. Dak is damaged goods and even if he does come back and play he might not be the same. Either way the Cowboys should not gamble on giving him a big multi year contract. If they franchise Dak and he does come back and play well he is gone. No way he will stay with the Cowboys after being forced to gamble his career two years in a row. I like Dak and hope he has a complete recovery and plays in the NFL but thats a very tough injury he had and he may never the same player.
I agree if the Cowboys don't offer/pay him very soon, Dak is gone. They need to show faith in Dak he's down and out physically or there will be no trust and loyalty on the QBs end.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn’t the Jones already offer him the contract they previously offered?
Rumored to have done that or the rumor is that they're going to do that, 5 @ 175M.

The Joneses use the rumor mill so they could have leaked that for their own reasons but according to what was reported last year, Prescott was going to take the deal but time ran out. Which is a first. I'd never heard that one before and I didn't buy it then or now. No agent, especially one splitting from CAA, is going to let the deadline pass. I think Todd France did some image polishing for Prescott and the Joneses ended up being the "bad guys".

The one thing no one but Prescott and those close to him know at this moment is did that injury affect his thinking? At any time, did he think about not having a long term deal with a guarantee after the shock of the injury evolved into assessing the injury? Is he more "secure the future" conscious than he was?