Mike Bascik Spills Some Tea on Dak Situation

Rayman70

Reaction score
32 million in 2020 followed by 38 million in 2021.. I wish I could "lose" like that..
Daks my guy. Big fan of him. Just stating this is how they view him...meaning JJ and Stevie. Not my op. THAT said, I bet they find a way to get it done.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Anyone hear Cross Talk between Shan & RJ and the K&C Masterpiece this morning on the Fan? Mike Bascik flew off the rails on the Dak contract discussion and made some seriously bold claims.

He said he wasn't allowed to divulge the fine details, but mentioned that Dak is dealing with more than simply a broken ankle and these next 5 to 6 months are absolutely critical for rehab and basically determining if Dak can play football ever again. Mike said that there is a real "20 percent chance" that Dak never plays football again. Mentioned that the Cowboys are aware of the issue that he knows about, and said that it looks like almost an impossibility that the Cowboys fork over 170+ million dollars to a QB that's dealing with what Dak is dealing with. Also mentioned that releasing him after June with a franchise tag is also a realistic possibility.

I'm not strongly for or against Dak being signed here long term, but this certainly ignites some serious discussion. And for the clowns on this forum that will immediately dismiss this as fake news, Bascik is extremely plugged into the network in the Metroplex and also has numerous connections in the local medical network, since he himself is married to a physician. He was dropping hints of Dak having a second surgery over a month before national media got a hold of that story.

This is a crazy development.

Total B.S.
You Yanks should know better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The details coming out basically say that the second surgery was actually to clean up crap they found while doing the first one which was apparently unrelated to the injury. It was just an artifact of playing football all his life. Remember Emmitt had a similar cleanup done on one of his ankles at pretty much the same age. I seem to recall Sweetness doing so as well. That playing football does damage to joints is not breaking news. Dak has probably sprained his ankles a hundred times and there was probably junk going on in there that the doctors said "hey when the swelling goes down and everything heals up we should go back in and clean this up." Everybody probably nodded in agreement and thought nothing further of it. All things considered it might actually be GOOD news..

Sounds like a basic scope to me. Shouldnt be an issue.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatever we know about the 2nd operation is what they want known. This is doctor/patient privacy and not subject to procedures done on players under contract and even then they have to give their permission.

This one guy is claiming to know something no one else knows, and even said that and posters take that as gospel? Haha, I know something you don't know, this guys sounds like a fool.

While I don't have much confidence in the front office, I do think they'll do their due diligence in a matter involving the QB and this kind of money. If they do not get a long term deal done, I wouldn't read anything into that either concerning the condition of his ankle. I also don't read anything into this second operation, they're working on a professional athlete to continue his career.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Sounds like a basic scope to me. Shouldnt be an issue.
If we talked about every knee scope or scope in general that happens every offseason we would crash this site. Athletes get scopes annually. Its maintenance mostly. I tore my ACL and MCL when I was 14 and I had a scope a few years back. Its normal for athletes. I dont know why people dont understand that lol. Not you. Just in general.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I basically said the same thing before the cart was even out of site. There is no way you can sign him to a long term deal before seeing that he is back to 100% and has no lingering long term effects. That goes for any and all 32 teams. He put himself in this position by continuing to say NO to incredibly generous market deals, guaranteed life changing money, because he wanted to cash in again a year sooner. This was the risk he took and he lost. He will be lucky to get the same offer he had on the table at any point in the coming year. If he does, he should take all of 1 second to say yes and sign it. Right now he is damaged goods and an unknown. I don’t see anyone giving him anything close to his previous asking price until he proves he is 100% again. Dallas may be willing to use the franchise tag and gamble that he gets back but they also may decide to move on. All he had to do was compromise on one issue. The team had already compromised on everything else. They just needed the 5th year to make it work better for the cap. He was unwilling to give at all on anything and that is why he is where he is today. I wish him the best but this is all on him.
Thats been my point the entire time, but it falls on deaf ears.
People today only hear what they want to hear, only if it fits their narrative.
The only way you get a response is when you throw a low ball punch, like ... were Daks tears from the pain of the injury or the contract he pissed on.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If we talked about every knee scope or scope in general that happens every offseason we would crash this site. Athletes get scopes annually. Its maintenance mostly. I tore my ACL and MCL when I was 14 and I had a scope a few years back. Its normal for athletes. I dont know why people dont understand that lol. Not you. Just in general.
Both Super Bowl QBs had post SB surgeries.

The guys to worry about are the ones who put surgery off waiting to see if it heals on its own.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BTW, after twitter threads and such I am not sure if this made up nonsense or someone using Bascik as a pawn.
The last time we heard anything this wild was over the Dez tape which we are still waiting to see.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
His leverage hasn't changed; at all.

Dallas either pays him or lets him walk.

Even if his foot was amputated that would be Dallas' options and that would be Dak's leverage.

Whether Dallas wants to tag him or not may chance but the options do not. And even Dallas was scared off tagging him they would merely allow another team to risk nothing but cash to bring him in.
As Helman's tweet alludes, Dak isn't losing sleep or leverage... he's on a beach!!!

Rayman70

Reaction score
His leverage hasn't changed; at all.

Dallas either pays him or lets him walk.

Even if his foot was amputated that would be Dallas' options and that would be Dak's leverage.

Whether Dallas wants to tag him or not may chance but the options do not. And even Dallas was scared off tagging him they would merely allow another team to risk nothing but cash to bring him in.
As Helman's tweet alludes, Dak isn't losing sleep or leverage... he's on a beach!!!

its in the eye of the beholder I guess. We about to find out. But I know this much, he wont walk. He will be either signed or will be signed and traded. WALKING is not an option. That would mean we net exactly NOTHING for him. That would be a pathetic outcome.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
its in the eye of the beholder I guess. We about to find out. But I know this much, he wont walk. He will be either signed or will be signed and traded. WALKING is not an option. That would mean we net exactly NOTHING for him. That would be a pathetic outcome.
My dude what part of this are you not understanding.
Dallas controls zero other than Tag or URFA.
That's the leverage. That's the ballgame.
Love Dak, hate Dak, doesn't matter.

The ONLY way to trade him is if he signs his 37.7M tender guaranteeing him that money for one year.
And Dak can determine whether or not and more importantly when he signs that deal giving him essentially a de facto no trade clause.
If he does sign you can trade him but what exactly does a team give up for 1 year of service to a guy who is hitting their cap for an immovable 37.7M?
Again that's all part of the extended leverage he has.
If they want to get anything of note in a trade for Dak he has to agree and be part and parcel o any deals which would almost certainly include a new deal for the team acquiring him.

OR worst realistic case scenario for Dak is he plays out 1 more year in Dallas for 37.7M with these weapons and hits unrestricted free agency in 2022.
Worst reach case scenario is he signs tender then gets sent off to a bad team for say a 5th round pick.
But he still hits free agency in 2022.

This is all no lose for Dak.
While Dallas will be stuck eating 37.7M in cap from the very first day of the league year until he is either extended, the tag is rescinded (can only happen if he hasn't signed it), or he is traded(also can only happens if he signs it).
So the biggest leverage for Dak is time. He costs Dallas 37.7M (about 20% of the total high side projected cap of 190M) each day of the new league year while other teams are signing free agents and conducting off-season business.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I agree if the Cowboys don't offer/pay him very soon, Dak is gone. They need to show faith in Dak he's down and out physically or there will be no trust and loyalty on the QBs end.
And you’ve been wrong for months so I don’t know what the hell you are bragging about.
Man you people hate when I'm right. Remember when you ran your mouth about Daks gonna get signed. LMAO

blueblood70

Reaction score
Both Super Bowl QBs had post SB surgeries.

The guys to worry about are the ones who put surgery off waiting to see if it heals on its own.
both already got paid and both already won SBs Mahomes was a turf toe bradys was a old injurys nothing major an you think daks ankle dislocating and breaking bones stretching ligaments is the SAME? seriously?

Daks done squat so far in this league and had major surgery with follow-up surgery..it does matter regardless if its a situation he comes back fully, the doubt is there..he screwed up not taking that 5 yr 35mil deal..if the man is confident hes going to get better and lead this team to a Sb, that deal would be sweetened AFTER!!

he definitely regrets not signing it the moment he was on the cart..sure he will get deal a nice one but scoffing at great deal then playing only 4 games and getting a MAJOR INJURY and not paying since while without deal is a concern for all partys..

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Dak gambled, AND LOST. It happens.He signs or he will be gone. That is fact.

That is opinion.

So far he was paid $31 million last season and, at worse, he'll get paid $37 million this season then become a free agent.

Do the Cowboys have a Plan B? Jerry and Stephen haven't exactly been nailing it when it comes to the QB position.

Dak isn't the only one gambling here.