Mike Bascik Spills Some Tea on Dak Situation

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Not really.

The Cowboys can only tag him one more time (a third tag would be over $50 million). He can take $37 million and become a FA in 2022 or the Cowboys give him what he wants.

If that's losing leverage then I want to lose that kind of leverage ASAP.

csirl

Reaction score
My dude what part of this are you not understanding.
Dallas controls zero other than Tag or URFA.
That's the leverage. That's the ballgame.
Love Dak, hate Dak, doesn't matter.

The ONLY way to trade him is if he signs his 37.7M tender guaranteeing him that money for one year.
And Dak can determine whether or not and more importantly when he signs that deal giving him essentially a de facto no trade clause.
If he does sign you can trade him but what exactly does a team give up for 1 year of service to a guy who is hitting their cap for an immovable 37.7M?
Again that's all part of the extended leverage he has.
If they want to get anything of note in a trade for Dak he has to agree and be part and parcel o any deals which would almost certainly include a new deal for the team acquiring him.

OR worst realistic case scenario for Dak is he plays out 1 more year in Dallas for 37.7M with these weapons and hits unrestricted free agency in 2022.
Worst reach case scenario is he signs tender then gets sent off to a bad team for say a 5th round pick.
But he still hits free agency in 2022.

This is all no lose for Dak.
While Dallas will be stuck eating 37.7M in cap from the very first day of the league year until he is either extended, the tag is rescinded (can only happen if he hasn't signed it), or he is traded(also can only happens if he signs it).
So the biggest leverage for Dak is time. He costs Dallas 37.7M (about 20% of the total high side projected cap of 190M) each day of the new league year while other teams are signing free agents and conducting off-season business.

Worst case scenario for Dak is the Cowboys dont tag him and no other team is willing to invest significant money in him until he proves he's recovered.

Nexx

Reaction score
It would not surprise me if Dak sits out this year if he gets tagged. it wouldnt be worth the risk at that point. sit out this year get 100% healthy to hit free agency. it would be too much of a risk to play on the tag as it would be too much of a risk for the cowboys to sign him long term this year. Dak might have already played his last game for the Cowboys.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
My dude what part of this are you not understanding.
Dallas controls zero other than Tag or URFA.
That's the leverage. That's the ballgame.
Love Dak, hate Dak, doesn't matter.

The ONLY way to trade him is if he signs his 37.7M tender guaranteeing him that money for one year.
And Dak can determine whether or not and more importantly when he signs that deal giving him essentially a de facto no trade clause.
If he does sign you can trade him but what exactly does a team give up for 1 year of service to a guy who is hitting their cap for an immovable 37.7M?
Again that's all part of the extended leverage he has.
If they want to get anything of note in a trade for Dak he has to agree and be part and parcel o any deals which would almost certainly include a new deal for the team acquiring him.

OR worst realistic case scenario for Dak is he plays out 1 more year in Dallas for 37.7M with these weapons and hits unrestricted free agency in 2022.
Worst reach case scenario is he signs tender then gets sent off to a bad team for say a 5th round pick.
But he still hits free agency in 2022.

This is all no lose for Dak.
While Dallas will be stuck eating 37.7M in cap from the very first day of the league year until he is either extended, the tag is rescinded (can only happen if he hasn't signed it), or he is traded(also can only happens if he signs it).
So the biggest leverage for Dak is time. He costs Dallas 37.7M (about 20% of the total high side projected cap of 190M) each day of the new league year while other teams are signing free agents and conducting off-season business.
I wouldnt tag him

Motorola

Reaction score
It would not surprise me if Dak sits out this year if he gets tagged. it wouldnt be worth the risk at that point. sit out this year get 100% healthy to hit free agency. it would be too much of a risk to play on the tag as it would be too much of a risk for the cowboys to sign him long term this year. Dak might have already played his last game for the Cowboys.
He will get signed.
Two predictions on the extreme opposite ends.
Will the outcome be done when March 9th rolls around....or July 15th?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I wouldnt tag him
You might be the only one.
Teams simply don't let guys walk for no compensation who've amassed the wins and stats Dak has in Dallas.

He's a top 12 QB graded very conservatively. That value is through the roof.
You are talking about a future comp pick for him as the return? No way.
That's be Texans and Eagles level bad FO mgmt.
You'd also likely see him walk right to WFT or Indy, or Chicago and win right away.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You might be the only one.
Teams simply don't let guys walk for no compensation who've amassed the wins and stats Dak has in Dallas.

He's a top 12 QB graded very conservatively. That value is through the roof.
You are talking about a future comp pick for him as the return? No way.
That's be Texans and Eagles level bad FO mgmt.
You'd also likely see him walk right to WFT or Indy, or Chicago and win right away.
agree, and I still wouldnt tag him

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Two predictions on the extreme opposite ends.
Will the outcome be done when March 9th rolls around....or July 15th?
I don't see any player turning down 37.7M GTD.
Even if he never played again he would have made 100M between NFL contracts plus endorsements.
He can also simply carry a huge insurance policy versus his future 150M+ contract.

Hadenough

Reaction score
He will get signed.
He will get tagged! Again and after that he will walk away from Dallas. You can't give him a monster contract when you don't even know if he is going to even be the same player after that injury.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He will get tagged! Again and after that he will walk away from Dallas. You can't give him a monster contract when you don't even know if he is going to even be the same player after that injury.
The Cowboys know. You and I don’t, but the Cowboys know so they will sign him.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
you’ve already “lost” by being the groupie of a player instead of the fan of a team whose message board you are on

LMAO.. nice try.. go troll somebody who cares dude, chick or whatever you identify as.

flyinghorse

Reaction score
Anyone hear Cross Talk between Shan & RJ and the K&C Masterpiece this morning on the Fan? Mike Bascik flew off the rails on the Dak contract discussion and made some seriously bold claims.

He said he wasn't allowed to divulge the fine details, but mentioned that Dak is dealing with more than simply a broken ankle and these next 5 to 6 months are absolutely critical for rehab and basically determining if Dak can play football ever again. Mike said that there is a real "20 percent chance" that Dak never plays football again. Mentioned that the Cowboys are aware of the issue that he knows about, and said that it looks like almost an impossibility that the Cowboys fork over 170+ million dollars to a QB that's dealing with what Dak is dealing with. Also mentioned that releasing him after June with a franchise tag is also a realistic possibility.

I'm not strongly for or against Dak being signed here long term, but this certainly ignites some serious discussion. And for the clowns on this forum that will immediately dismiss this as fake news, Bascik is extremely plugged into the network in the Metroplex and also has numerous connections in the local medical network, since he himself is married to a physician. He was dropping hints of Dak having a second surgery over a month before national media got a hold of that story.

This is a crazy development.

Been saying this about Daks injury for awhile now....My son is X-ray/ MRI Tech as I’ve said in previous post. He’s seen a lot of injuries like Daks from motorcycle wrecks / head on car wrecks/ suicide attempts jumping from high buildings. Based on my son’s experience this was A LOT more serious injury than was ever reported. My son tried to explain medically what happened but that went way over my head so based on before & afters w/this type injury he give him a 60% - 70% chance to play again...noting that he could be another Alex Smith story....but there’s no guarantees...I don’t know if these statements are true from the show you referred to but I think a lot of fans have definitely got ahead of there selfs on this Dak come back . I’m a big fan so I’m really pulling for him & he is a really positive driven guy so if anyone can beat the odds it’s a guy like him that’s overcome a mountain of obstacles to get where he is.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

He has.....hence his tears as he knew his Lucky Star was now a supernova.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
LMAO.. nice try.. go troll somebody who cares dude, chick or whatever you identify as.
I identify as me.
And it's kind of awesome.

I'm sure you do and are too.

And watching Tom Hanks in a movie with long hair (wife wanted to watch Davinci Code) is...
Not that awesome.

And I have Tarzan long hair!

Not getting it cut. She likes it too much.

JBS

Reaction score

Yeah none of this makes any sense..Zero chance

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The Cowboys know. You and I don’t, but the Cowboys know so they will sign him.

Speculating authoritatively seems to be the new participation sport when it comes to Dak. The number of people making up scenarios then running with them as "fact" is at an all time high here. It's not that hard for me to just chill and see what happens.. I can't for the life of me understand why others can't do that instead of spouting BS on this site daily. What could that possibly be accomplishing.. Seriously.. somebody please explain it to me. What's the payoff to this situation playing out one way or the other? Whether they sign Dak or not those of us who are actually Cowboys fans are going to watch the Cowboys.. though if they don't we will have to adjust our expectations for the QB position, and thus the team, downward a few notches. I think most of us come here seeking actual information and reasonably intelligent dialog about the information presented. But apparently there are those who just come to spew bulls--- all day and all night looking to get a rise out of people. It's really a weird deal. If that's something that gives meaning to your life I feel really sorry for you..

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Sits out and not get paid?