Mike Bascik Spills Some Tea on Dak Situation

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Speculating authoritatively seems to be the new participation sport when it comes to Dak. The number of people making up scenarios then running with them as "fact" is at an all time high here. It's not that hard for me to just chill and see what happens.. I can't for the life of me understand why others can't do that instead of spouting BS on this site daily. What could that possibly be accomplishing.. Seriously.. somebody please explain it to me. What's the payoff to this situation playing out one way or the other? Whether they sign Dak or not those of us who are actually Cowboys fans are going to watch the Cowboys.. though if they don't we will have to adjust our expectations for the QB position, and thus the team, downward a few notches. I think most of us come here seeking actual information and reasonably intelligent dialog about the information presented. But apparently there are those who just come to spew bulls--- all day and all night looking to get a rise out of people. It's really a weird deal. If that's something that gives meaning to your life I feel really sorry for you..

Are you joking???

You're the guy that flat-out lied and said you heard Dak's doctor on local radio supposedly saying "Dak doesn't have any ligament damage in his ankle."

J_Allen

Reaction score
He should have signed the contract 2 years ago instead of being greedy. I have no pity for him. The sooner he leaves the team the better. We can all move on with players who want to be here and want to win. He doesn't care about winning. He cares about himself.

Adreme

Reaction score
He should have signed the contract 2 years ago instead of being greedy. I have no pity for him. The sooner he leaves the team the better. We can all move on with players who want to be here and want to win. He doesn't care about winning. He cares about himself.

Why should he have signed a below market deal when it clearly was better for him to wait? He bet on himself and won, like most QBs who bet on themselves do. If Dallas wanted him they could have had him for 35 2 years ago but they held out and now the price went up and they have no one to blame but themselves.

nobody

Reaction score
Here is what I know of as facts:

-The Cowboys management are going to try to do what is in the best interest of the Cowboys.
-Dak and his agent are going to try to do what's in the best interest of Dak and his agent.
-When healthy, Dak didn't sign an offer and bet on himself. He played outstanding until he suffered a nasty season-ending injury.

Is there anything else that is true fact or just speculation? "They'll sign Dak" is speculation. "They'll tag him and let him play out this season under the tag" is speculation. "He might not ever play again" is speculation. "He'll come back 100%" is speculation. "Had he not gotten injured, he would have broken this or that record because he was on pace for it" is speculation (Why? Because should have would have could have doesn't count. You either did it or you didn't).

So sit back, relax, and watch it all unfold because it's all speculation. Does anyone else have any legitimate facts to add?

J_Allen

Reaction score
Why should he have signed a below market deal when it clearly was better for him to wait? He bet on himself and won, like most QBs who bet on themselves do. If Dallas wanted him they could have had him for 35 2 years ago but they held out and now the price went up and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Because he plays on a team that is restricted by the salary cap. Why can't he sign a deal this good for both sides? It will be plenty of money and he makes more than that in endorsements.

It will be very hard to keep a talented team together with the numbers that he wants. Why some people are okay with that is beyond me.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
It would not surprise me if Dak sits out this year if he gets tagged. it wouldnt be worth the risk at that point. sit out this year get 100% healthy to hit free agency. it would be too much of a risk to play on the tag as it would be too much of a risk for the cowboys to sign him long term this year. Dak might have already played his last game for the Cowboys.

No one, I repeat no one, is sitting out the year because he is upset about being paid $37M. Get real.

Adreme

Reaction score
Because he plays on a team that is restricted by the salary cap. Why can't he sign a deal this good for both sides? It will be plenty of money and he makes more than that in endorsements.

It will be very hard to keep a talented team together with the numbers that he wants. Why some people are okay with that is beyond me.

He does not make more than that in endorsements. I can only find the top 10 earners in endorsement dollars, and Dak is not in the top 10, but 10th is at 3 million a year so he is making less than that at the very least. People often conflate his injury insurance, which only pays out if he is unable to play ever again, with income.

As for cash strapped, Dallas signed some bad players to a contract so he should take less so they can sign other bad players? They overpaid for a WR by a lot, overpaid for a RB by a lot, overpaid at LB, but want to underpay at the most important position on the field and he should feel good about that? If they wanted to sign a deal they could have had him at 35 2 years ago and they would have been better off in terms of the cap. They stuck to 33 and Dak decided to bet on himself and he won and he won in a big way.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Speculating authoritatively seems to be the new participation sport when it comes to Dak. The number of people making up scenarios then running with them as "fact" is at an all time high here. It's not that hard for me to just chill and see what happens.. I can't for the life of me understand why others can't do that instead of spouting BS on this site daily. What could that possibly be accomplishing.. Seriously.. somebody please explain it to me. What's the payoff to this situation playing out one way or the other? Whether they sign Dak or not those of us who are actually Cowboys fans are going to watch the Cowboys.. though if they don't we will have to adjust our expectations for the QB position, and thus the team, downward a few notches. I think most of us come here seeking actual information and reasonably intelligent dialog about the information presented. But apparently there are those who just come to spew bulls--- all day and all night looking to get a rise out of people. It's really a weird deal. If that's something that gives meaning to your life I feel really sorry for you..
Some people just like to be *****. They enjoy it. It’s their character. So they come here, hide behind their keyboards, and play the part of an *******. It is sad I feel sorry for them as well.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Talented in whose estimation? It certainly has not played out on the field the last two seasons. The defense was mediocre in 2018 and 2019 and slipped to absolutely horrible in 2020. The offensive line has been living on reputation for at least two years and there are a thousand "experts" here on the Zone who will swear that Zeke is a bottom tier running back, Cooper is an overrated and overpaid receiver, Gallup is inconsistent and Lamb was a disappointment with all the drops he had. I'm not saying these experts are right or wrong.. just that they can't have it both ways. They can't dog on the guys as much as they do here and then turn around and say we need to jettison Dak so we can keep them. Dak and the receiver group is the best unit on the team and it's not really particularly close. If everybody comes back healthy MAYBE the o-line can get in the conversation but that's a big if. This team's best chance to be good this coming season falls squarely on Dak, the receivers, and the defenders we pick up in the draft. We need playmakers on defense or the frustration we have been feeling for most of the last 15 years will continue.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Talented in whose estimation? It certainly has not played out on the field the last two seasons. The defense was mediocre in 2018 and 2019 and slipped to absolutely horrible in 2020. The offensive line has been living on reputation for at least two years and there are a thousand "experts" here on the Zone who will swear that Zeke is a bottom tier running back, Cooper is an overrated and overpaid receiver, Gallup is inconsistent and Lamb was a disappointment with all the drops he had. I'm not saying these experts are right or wrong.. just that they can't have it both ways. They can't dog on the guys as much as they do here and then turn around and say we need to jettison Dak so we can keep them. Dak and the receiver group is the best unit on the team and it's not really particularly close. If everybody comes back healthy MAYBE the o-line can get in the conversation but that's a big if. This team's best chance to be good this coming season falls squarely on Dak, the receivers, and the defenders we pick up in the draft. We need playmakers on defense or the frustration we have been feeling for most of the last 15 years will continue.

If we rebuild the defense with talented players in the draft then they're going to be that much harder to sign because someone wants to make all the money and will not budge.

It would be like me working for an organization with a limited amount they could pay each worker. Well I want a huge contract and I don't care if you have to pay the other people less or that the other people have to go somewhere else. I'm just worried about myself. I don't care if we are weaker because of it either.

That's disgusting. Romo or Aikman never did this and not to mention it's a huge distraction. I would pull the offer off the table. Good luck somewhere else.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
If we rebuild the defense with talented players in the draft then they're going to be that much harder to sign because someone wants to make all the money and will not budge.

It would be like me working for an organization with a limited amount they could pay each worker. Well I want a huge contract and I don't care if you have to pay the other people less or that the other people have to go somewhere else. I'm just worried about myself. I don't care if we are weaker because of it either.

That's disgusting. Romo or Aikman never did this and not to mention it's a huge distraction. I would pull the offer off the table. Good luck somewhere else.

Aikman never had to because he won championships and the organization took care of him. Romo never did because they THOUGHT he was going to win championships. They always extended him before they had to. The Cowboys are in this predicament because they refused to make Dak a reasonable offer when they should have plain and simple. They could have offered him Garrapolo or Cousins money when those guys signed and been on the final year of the deal by now. They offered him less than those two stiffs got when at the time neither had accomplished as much as he had. Garrapolo had a whole 8 career starts under his belt.. GTFOH.

For his part you don't know what Dak actually wants. He has made no such proclamation so everything we've "heard" has been one side or the other leaking it. It might literally have zip point sh1t to do with reality. And any talented defenders we draft will be under team control until 2024 at the earliest. By that time the cap will likely have jumped 100 million and Dak's deal will be relative peanuts by QB standards. At some point you either believe in the guy or you don't. If the Cowboys don't they should release Dak and move on. It's not complicated. They been playin this back and forth game for three years.. It's time to poop or git off the pot.

visionary

Reaction score
No .. sign the tag then suffer a (wink wink) hamstring pull early in camp. Start the season on PUP then reaggravate it when you come off.. by which point the Cowboys will be eliminated from the playoffs.. say week 9.. and there will be no need to bring Dak back.. Yeah that's the ticket..

Thank you for further defining what sort of person you think your hero is and by extension who you are

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Thank you for further defining what sort of person you think your hero is and by extension who you are

Just trying to give the mouth breathers who never want Dak to suit up for the Cowboys again hope..

kskboys

Reaction score
Aikman never had to because he won championships and the organization took care of him. Romo never did because they THOUGHT he was going to win championships. They always extended him before they had to. The Cowboys are in this predicament because they refused to make Dak a reasonable offer when they should have plain and simple. They could have offered him Garrapolo or Cousins money when those guys signed and been on the final year of the deal by now. They offered him less than those two stiffs got when at the time neither had accomplished as much as he had. Garrapolo had a whole 8 career starts under his belt.. GTFOH.

For his part you don't know what Dak actually wants. He has made no such proclamation so everything we've "heard" has been one side or the other leaking it. It might literally have zip point sh1t to do with reality. And any talented defenders we draft will be under team control until 2024 at the earliest. By that time the cap will likely have jumped 100 million and Dak's deal will be relative peanuts by QB standards. At some point you either believe in the guy or you don't. If the Cowboys don't they should release Dak and move on. It's not complicated. They been playin this back and forth game for three years.. It's time to poop or git off the pot.
Garrop's annual salary is 27.5.
Cousins is 33.

Dak turned down 35.

ghst187

Reaction score
Drew Brees was never gonna throw again at one point too...
I suspect Dak will be fine long term but might take longer than expected.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

lol.