Mike Bascik Spills Some Tea on Dak Situation

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Here is what I know of as facts:

-The Cowboys management are going to try to do what is in the best interest of the Cowboys.
-Dak and his agent are going to try to do what's in the best interest of Dak and his agent.
-When healthy, Dak didn't sign an offer and bet on himself. He played outstanding until he suffered a nasty season-ending injury.

Is there anything else that is true fact or just speculation? "They'll sign Dak" is speculation. "They'll tag him and let him play out this season under the tag" is speculation. "He might not ever play again" is speculation. "He'll come back 100%" is speculation. "Had he not gotten injured, he would have broken this or that record because he was on pace for it" is speculation (Why? Because should have would have could have doesn't count. You either did it or you didn't).

So sit back, relax, and watch it all unfold because it's all speculation. Does anyone else have any legitimate facts to add?
The Dallas Cowboys have told us they will tag him if they can;t sign him and signing him is their preference.
That's from there mouths so isn't speculation but of course doesn't mean they follow through.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys have told us they will tag him if they can;t sign him and signing him is their preference.
That's from there mouths so isn't speculation but of course doesn't mean they follow through.
doesnt mean he will sign it and may hold out..this has got to point i can see that happening..

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
doesnt mean he will sign it and may hold out..this has got to point i can see that happening..
Of for sure.
And yes this is all mostly rampant speculation.

Just noting all we do KNOW is what Jerry/Stephen said they'd so and it is exactly what they did last year in this situation.

The people's who's reporting I actually trust indicate the team wants to get 2021 Cap numbers then offer a deal. If no deal they will tag.
We also KNOW Dak is out of his boot already and is currently on a beach.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Garrop's annual salary is 27.5.
Cousins is 33.

Dak turned down 35.

Garropolo's deal was signed what 3? 4? years ago? The Cowboys certainly could have offered Dak 28 million at that point and not ended up here.. Cousins' deal was 33 three years ago.. The Cowboys could have offered 34 million then and not ended up here.. . They are only rumored to have offered 35 a year last July and even that was below market value. They have been coming in below the market all along. That has been the problem. They have insisted on this "we can't pay you more than so and so.." stance while ignoring that the market says his price is _____. What "so and so" makes is not the bar.. the market is the bar.. If it puts him earning more than Wilson or Rodgers so be it. That's the price of waiting because you either weren't sold on him or you're just stupid. Guess what.. the market aint goin down.. So either bite the bullet and sign him or bite the bullet and let him walk. I'm fine with it either way.. I have to be .. my last name aint Jones.. But this needs to get done... the silly negotiating dance isn't doing anybody any good. If they tag him and he balls out again this year the price will have gone up another 4-5 million a year as some of the other young guns come due. Keep f-in around and it's pretty much guaranteed to end badly.

And by the way I got 4 inches of snow at my house yesterday.. What the HELL Texas!?!?!?

kskboys

Reaction score
Garropolo's deal was signed what 3? 4? years ago? The Cowboys certainly could have offered Dak 28 million at that point and not ended up here.. Cousins' deal was 33 three years ago.. The Cowboys could have offered 34 million then and not ended up here.. . They are only rumored to have offered 35 a year last July and even that was below market value. They have been coming in below the market all along. That has been the problem. They have insisted on this "we can't pay you more than so and so.." stance while ignoring that the market says his price is _____. What "so and so" makes is not the bar.. the market is the bar.. If it puts him earning more than Wilson or Rodgers so be it. That's the price of waiting because you either weren't sold on him or you're just stupid. Guess what.. the market aint goin down.. So either bite the bullet and sign him or bite the bullet and let him walk. I'm fine with it either way.. I have to be .. my last name aint Jones.. But this needs to get done... the silly negotiating dance isn't doing anybody any good. If they tag him and he balls out again this year the price will have gone up another 4-5 million a year as some of the other young guns come due. Keep f-in around and it's pretty much guaranteed to end badly.

And by the way I got 4 inches of snow at my house yesterday.. What the HELL Texas!?!?!?
I'm not sold on this market philosophy, that the next man up gets more no matter what. Looks to me as if that's fixin' to come to an end.

Dak could easily get the pay you're throwing out there if he would take a longer deal. These shorter deals are not working out for teams.

Dallas offered Dak 33 mil/season prior to the 20 season. Not below market.

Where is this disconnect coming from? This is easily available info. Google it if you don't believe me.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm not sold on this market philosophy, that the next man up gets more no matter what. Looks to me as if that's fixin' to come to an end.

Dak could easily get the pay you're throwing out there if he would take a longer deal. These shorter deals are not working out for teams.

Dallas offered Dak 33 mil/season prior to the 20 season. Not below market.

Where is this disconnect coming from? This is easily available info. Google it if you don't believe me.

I agree that the NFL may be learning to quit giving QBs huge deals based on one or two good years. But in Dak's case we have 4+ years of mostly very good and occasionally great play to go on. He has never had any of the meltdown seasons we've seen from Goff, Wentz or Garrapolo and he has been able to keep a team with a crappy defense in the playoff hunt every year he's been a starter unlike Cousins who has been backed by a top 10 defense (until last year) but has accomplished nada with it. All us Cowboys fans know that our defense has not been "good" in a very long time. It has enjoyed inflated ratings in the league because the offense dominated the ball and time of possession for them until this past year. Now that the offense is not doing that the defense's level of play has been truly exposed. My main point is that Dak has proven to be a better investment than those guys because of his play, his mental make up and his trajectory of improvement. While those other guys have stood still or gone backwards Dak has continued to get better. I will offer no argument that he needs to take the longer deal and I've stated many times if he won't then he's not who I thought he was and I will not miss him as he leaves town.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree that the NFL may be learning to quit giving QBs huge deals based on one or two good years. But in Dak's case we have 4+ years of mostly very good and occasionally great play to go on. He has never had any of the meltdown seasons we've seen from Goff, Wentz or Garrapolo and he has been able to keep a team with a crappy defense in the playoff hunt every year he's been a starter unlike Cousins who has been backed by a top 10 defense (until last year) but has accomplished nada with it. All us Cowboys fans know that our defense has not been "good" in a very long time. It has enjoyed inflated ratings in the league because the offense dominated the ball and time of possession for them until this past year. Now that the offense is not doing that the defense's level of play has been truly exposed. My main point is that Dak has proven to be a better investment than those guys because of his play, his mental make up and his trajectory of improvement. While those other guys have stood still or gone backwards Dak has continued to get better. I will offer no argument that he needs to take the longer deal and I've stated many times if he won't then he's not who I thought he was and I will not miss him as he leaves town.
Well stated.

I'm simply not into the "If I don't get a penny more than the last guy I am disrespected" crapp.

Dak has been offered fair contracts. Not as high as the last guy does not mean they aren't fair.

Haimerej

Reaction score
He has never had any of the meltdown seasons we've seen from Goff, Wentz or Garrapolo and he has been able to keep a team with a crappy defense in the playoff hunt every year he's been a starter unlike Cousins who has been backed by a top 10 defense (until last year) but has accomplished nada with it.

Literally every year they were in the playoffs he had a top 10 defense. 2017 was ranked 13th and 2019 was 11th. So just outside of a top 10 defense and they don't make the playoffs.

kskboys

Reaction score
Literally every year they were in the playoffs he had a top 10 defense. 2017 was ranked 13th and 2019 was 11th. So just outside of a top 10 defense and they don't make the playoffs.
"In the playoff hunt" is a Jerryism that means very little in a bad 4 team division.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The question about the recovery is will that affect tagging him, if that's the plan. 37.7M for one year for a QB that they have any concerns about his mobility is as risky as it gets, even for Booger. Prescott is not a pocket guy like Brady, he has to be able to move laterally to buy time.

dont forget about AndyD.

Dallas needs Dalton to stay. Add 5-10 million for Dalton.

That’s almost 47 Mill for 2 QBs, and one of them may not play until October.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Like I said, I believe the rankings are misleading because of how dominant the offense was in controlling the clock for them.. As is often pointed out, stats are meaningless without wins. People are always quick to point out that Dak and the offense has struggled against good teams or what have you even though the overall numbers have been good. How does that not apply to the defense, which often feasted on inept offenses but repeatedly failed to get turnovers or stops at crucial times? The bottom line is that since the Cooper trade (30 games) the offense has averaged a healthy 26.5 ppg. The problem is that the defense has surrendered 23.4 ppg. Meaning the Cowboys have come into games needing a minimum of 24 points to win games. We're like 0 for the last 15 games we've not scored 30 points. That is absolutely ridiculous. These last two seasons with Dak the offense has been one of the two or three best in the game. Yes it has had some stinkers but overall they have been good. The defense has NOT been as consistent and therein lies the problem. Sure the offense has failed in some big games especially in 2019. But the offense has been successful more often than not.. At least it has with Dak at the helm. Remember 2019 when the offense did not start a drive in opponent's territory until like the 10th or 11th game because the defense was so anemic at getting stops deep in the opponent's end as well as the well documented inability to create turnovers? Then our brain dead special teams running kickoffs out to the 20 yard line didn't help either. Simply put our defense and special teams have placed too much on the offense's plate to overcome the last two seasons. If we draw the line of excellence for offense at 30 points and for the defense at 14 which would you think has been more successful over the last two season? The defense or the offense?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Well stated.

I'm simply not into the "If I don't get a penny more than the last guy I am disrespected" crapp.

Dak has been offered fair contracts. Not as high as the last guy does not mean they aren't fair.

This might be where we differ. Fair is short for "fair market value" which is based on comps. Wentz, Goff, Cousins, Garropolo are all Dak's comps. Since he is better than all of them he should make more. That's really the long and the short of it. He certainly should not be asked to take less as some have suggested. I leave the Watson deal out because it IMHO was a mistake by Houston because he frankly had not earned a 39 million dollar a year deal and neither has Dak. But a deal that averages that while starting low and escalating is certainly fair. IF it is a longer term deal that works well under the cap. There is at least a strong argument to be made that three years from now if Dak continues to improve he will be worth 45-50 million a year and it will have been a stroke of genius to have him at 36-39. Again that's all speculative but I think it's a fair assessment. Some might argue that it's equally likely that he will fall on his face or have a Wentz/Goff like meltdown and not even be worth 20 million.. But that's a hater talkin. Nothing we've seen from Dak would indicate that being a likely scenario. It's certainly a possibility, but highly unlikely IMHO.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Like I said, I believe the rankings are misleading because of how dominant the offense was in controlling the clock for them..

Part of ToP is getting off the field. They weren't the '85 Bears. But they weren't near as bad as last season, either. Objectively speaking, they were better than average and, yes, top 10 in his only playoff appearances.

As is often pointed out, stats are meaningless without wins. People are always quick to point out that Dak and the offense has struggled against good teams or what have you even though the overall numbers have been good. How does that not apply to the defense, which often feasted on inept offenses but repeatedly failed to get turnovers or stops at crucial times?

It does apply to the defense. You're essentially saying the defense and offense are both average.

The bottom line is that since the Cooper trade (30 games) the offense has averaged a healthy 26.5 ppg. The problem is that the defense has surrendered 23.4 ppg. Meaning the Cowboys have come into games needing a minimum of 24 points to win games. We're like 0 for the last 15 games we've not scored 30 points. These last two seasons with Dak the offense has been one of the two or three best in the game. Yes it has had some stinkers but overall they have been good. The defense has NOT been as consistent and therein lies the problem. Sure the offense has failed in some big games especially in 2019. But the offense has been successful more often than not.. At least it has with Dak at the helm. Remember 2019 when the offense did not start a drive in opponent's territory until like the 10th or 11th game because the defense was so anemic at getting stops deep in the opponent's end as well as the well documented inability to create turnovers? Then our brain dead special teams running kickoffs out to the 20 yard line didn't help either. Simply put our defense and special teams have placed too much on the offense's plate to overcome the last two seasons. If we draw the line of excellence for offense at 30 points and for the defense at 14 which would you think has been more successful over the last two season? The defense or the offense?

Simply put, he's had success when the defense has played well. He's never had a defense on par with MIN, but it's a stretch to say Dak's lack of success has been all on the defense. Elite QBs still get to the playoffs with middle of the pack defenses.

Mannix

Reaction score
--------Some people just like to be *****. They enjoy it. It’s their character. So they come here, hide behind their keyboards, and play the part of an *******. It is sad I feel sorry for them as well.

Guilty as charged

basel90

Reaction score
Not many QBs recover easily from such an injury , many retire or come back briefly with considerable regression . These injuries are complex and some people don’t react well . And it there were doubts he was worth 35-40 mil before his injury , then we now have a clue why Jerry isn’t paying him . Seems they will tag him and have him prove he can still play .

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Not many QBs recover easily from such an injury , many retire or come back briefly with considerable regression . These injuries are complex and some people don’t react well . And it there were doubts he was worth 35-40 mil before his injury , then we now have a clue why Jerry isn’t paying him . Seems they will tag him and have him prove he can still play .

It’s already been documented that Dak’s foot grew back twice as big and stronger than ever.

Stay hatin’ hater.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well stated.

We don't know what Dak has been offered and I'm not gonna be naive to think cheap Stephen and looney Jerry are just offering fair deals.

kskboys

Reaction score
This might be where we differ. Fair is short for "fair market value" which is based on comps. Wentz, Goff, Cousins, Garropolo are all Dak's comps. Since he is better than all of them he should make more. That's really the long and the short of it. He certainly should not be asked to take less as some have suggested. I leave the Watson deal out because it IMHO was a mistake by Houston because he frankly had not earned a 39 million dollar a year deal and neither has Dak. But a deal that averages that while starting low and escalating is certainly fair. IF it is a longer term deal that works well under the cap. There is at least a strong argument to be made that three years from now if Dak continues to improve he will be worth 45-50 million a year and it will have been a stroke of genius to have him at 36-39. Again that's all speculative but I think it's a fair assessment. Some might argue that it's equally likely that he will fall on his face or have a Wentz/Goff like meltdown and not even be worth 20 million.. But that's a hater talkin. Nothing we've seen from Dak would indicate that being a likely scenario. It's certainly a possibility, but highly unlikely IMHO.
Although I haven't taken sides on this, it really appeared to me as if Dak's side was not interested.

Fair market value in the NFL is not that simple. Different players mean different things to their teams. Plus, just because some teams overpay, it does not follow that everyone should.

However, the biggest issue I have w/ Dak is his insistence on a short term deal. I don't get it.