Mike Bascik Spills Some Tea on Dak Situation

kskboys

Reaction score
We don't know what Dak has been offered and I'm not gonna be naive to think cheap Stephen and looney Jerry are just offering fair deals.
Man, it is all over everywhere, you think all the sources are lying?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Man, it is all over everywhere, you think all the sources are lying?
Wouldn't be the first or last time. If it didn't come form Jerry's camp or Dak's camp...yeah I Don't believe it. A lot of misinformation has already been proven. If you think the deals are fair then why isn't Dak accepting them? He's just being greedy huh?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Part of ToP is getting off the field. They weren't the '85 Bears. But they weren't near as bad as last season, either. Objectively speaking, they were better than average and, yes, top 10 in his only playoff appearances.

It does apply to the defense. You're essentially saying the defense and offense are both average.

Simply put, he's had success when the defense has played well. He's never had a defense on par with MIN, but it's a stretch to say Dak's lack of success has been all on the defense. Elite QBs still get to the playoffs with middle of the pack defenses.

Never said any such thing. I am the leading proponent of the "nothing happens in a vacuum" theorem. Dak has to own the games in which the defense played well and he wasn't able to take advantage. I don't have a double standard in the least. My issue is in the last 30 games with Dak at the helm that the offense has topped 30 points 14 and has gone 12-2 in those.. In the 16 games they didn't get to 30 they are 6-10. More telling is that the offense has hit at least 21 points 22 times and gone 14-8. Overall they've gone 18-12 in that stretch .. The answer to my question about the offense hitting excellence (hitting 30 points) and the defense hitting excellence (holding teams to 14 or less.) The offense has hit 30 14 times as I stated. The defense has held teams to 14 or less 5 times.. Even if I raise the bar to holding teams to 20 or less the defense has come through 13 times. Applying the same standard to the offense and it's 22 to 13 in favor of the offense. No matter how you slice it the offense has been good more often than Dak than the defense has been. I will happily concede that Dak was not good enough to carry the mediocre defenses to the playoffs until this year. He needed an actual good defense. However I firmly believe in 2020 he elevated his game to the point where a mediocre defense would have been good enough. Obviously there is no way to prove or disprove that.. but it sure looked like that if the defense could just find a way to hold teams to under 30 points he would have been 4-1. And if the refs don't call that ridiculous OPI against Gallup he might have been 5-0. But again.. speculation. We'll have to wait until September to see if Dak comes back to that level. But there can be no denying.. Having to score 30 just to have a chance to win is not a realistic standard. Not for Dak, Mahomes, Rodgers, Montana or even Brady. It's too much to ask. Period.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Not many QBs recover easily from such an injury , many retire or come back briefly with considerable regression . These injuries are complex and some people don’t react well . And it there were doubts he was worth 35-40 mil before his injury , then we now have a clue why Jerry isn’t paying him . Seems they will tag him and have him prove he can still play .

seems logical.

no one knows how much of an edge he will have lost from this.

Andy could be Dallas for at least another season.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Never said any such thing. I am the leading proponent of the "nothing happens in a vacuum" theorem. Dak has to own the games in which the defense played well and he wasn't able to take advantage. I don't have a double standard in the least. My issue is in the last 30 games with Dak at the helm that the offense has topped 30 points 14 and has gone 12-2 in those.. In the 16 games they didn't get to 30 they are 6-10. More telling is that the offense has hit at least 21 points 22 times and gone 14-8. Overall they've gone 18-12 in that stretch .. The answer to my question about the offense hitting excellence (hitting 30 points) and the defense hitting excellence (holding teams to 14 or less.) The offense has hit 30 14 times as I stated. The defense has held teams to 14 or less 5 times.. Even if I raise the bar to holding teams to 20 or less the defense has come through 13 times. Applying the same standard to the offense and it's 22 to 13 in favor of the offense. No matter how you slice it the offense has been good more often than Dak than the defense has been. I will happily concede that Dak was not good enough to carry the mediocre defenses to the playoffs until this year. He needed an actual good defense. However I firmly believe in 2020 he elevated his game to the point where a mediocre defense would have been good enough. Obviously there is no way to prove or disprove that.. but it sure looked like that if the defense could just find a way to hold teams to under 30 points he would have been 4-1. And if the refs don't call that ridiculous OPI against Gallup he might have been 5-0. But again.. speculation. We'll have to wait until September to see if Dak comes back to that level. But there can be no denying.. Having to score 30 just to have a chance to win is not a realistic standard. Not for Dak, Mahomes, Rodgers, Montana or even Brady. It's too much to ask. Period.

The, "have to score 30 to win," thing happened just last year. That wasn't a problem previously. Those 2 losses in that 12-2 record just happened. The scheme change had 100% to do with it.

Look at those 16 games they didn't score 30. They averaged 18.2 ppg in those 16 games. The defense averaged 23.4 ppg. Six of those 10 losses DAL scored 17 or fewer points (10 pt avg over those 6 games). Three of those six losses were to scores of 17, 13, and 12.

I think we've merely established that neither unit can carry the other. Dak has not been able to elevate the team as you would expect a $40 mil guy to do.

I'll also add, 14-8 in games scoring 21 points is pretty good.

Last edited:

Haimerej

Reaction score
Also, I was mistaken about Dak. He literally had a top 10 defense every year from 2016-2019. The 2 years I said they weren't (2017 and 2019) were scoring defense.

So he's had a top 10 scoring defense 2 of his first 4 years, and top 10 yards allowed every year. As I said earlier, the 2 years they weren't top 10 they were #11 and #13, above average.

I'll concede the defense was helped by the ball control offense, but that was really just 2016 when they were #3 in ToP. They ranked #12, #10, and #18 in 2017-2019. The best of the 3 being 30:35 pg and worst being 29:32 pg.

So the narrative about how awful the defense was is overblown. You'd think after 2020 we'd appreciate what was being done with much of the same guys people are ready to throw to the wind. Instead we're seeing fans jump on players who were asked to do things many had never done and quite frankly weren't equipped to do.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The, "have to score 30 to win," thing happened just last year. That wasn't a problem previously. Those 2 losses in that 12-2 record just happened. The scheme change had 100% to do with it.

Look at those 16 games they didn't score 30. They averaged 18.2 ppg in those 16 games. The defense averaged 23.4 ppg. Six of those 10 losses DAL scored 17 or fewer points (10 pt avg over those 6 games). Three of those six losses were to scores of 17, 13, and 12.

I think we've merely established that neither unit can carry the other. Dak has not been able to elevate the team as you would expect a $40 mil guy to do.

I'll also add, 14-8 in games scoring 21 points is pretty good.

No he has not.. until 2020. He stepped up to a higher level this season. But no QB can elevate a defense as bad as what we saw the first half of this season. If Dak had been able to drag a defense that bad to a deep run in the playoffs he would have been the first ever to do so.

Haimerej

Reaction score
No he has not.. until 2020. He stepped up to a higher level this season. But no QB can elevate a defense as bad as what we saw the first half of this season. If Dak had been able to drag a defense that bad to a deep run in the playoffs he would have been the first ever to do so.

I'm not defending the poor defense this year, right off.

But he played his part in those games, too. He struggled against NY. Disappeared for 2 quarters against CLE and became effective after they backed off. His 2nd quarter against SEA included two 3 and outs and a pick as the lead grew from 12-7 to 32-15 in the 3rd.

Look at the win in ATL. He started out with a 3 and out, then a sack fumble. Next drive after Zeke's fumble they get 1 first down and punt. He completed 1 passing TD against the worst passing defense in the league. That defense gave up 34 TDs in 2020.

This narrative that he took the next step is based solely on the amount of yards he wracked up playing from behind. Had he been able to keep pace, you'd have a more solid case.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Also, I was mistaken about Dak. He literally had a top 10 defense every year from 2016-2019. The 2 years I said they weren't (2017 and 2019) were scoring defense.

So he's had a top 10 scoring defense 2 of his first 4 years, and top 10 yards allowed every year. As I said earlier, the 2 years they weren't top 10 they were #11 and #13, above average.

I'll concede the defense was helped by the ball control offense, but that was really just 2016 when they were #3 in ToP. They ranked #12, #10, and #18 in 2017-2019. The best of the 3 being 30:35 pg and worst being 29:32 pg.

So the narrative about how awful the defense was is overblown. You'd think after 2020 we'd appreciate what was being done with much of the same guys people are ready to throw to the wind. Instead we're seeing fans jump on players who were asked to do things many had never done and quite frankly weren't equipped to do.

You will get no argument here about how bad the coaching compromised the defense in 2020. Those guys could not possibly have gone from moderately competent to having no idea how to play football in one offseason. But you contradict yourself by saying "He literally had a top 10 defense every year from 2016-2019" then point out that they weren't top 10 in 2017 and 2019. Make up your mind.. Again, the defense was okay in that stretch.. but not exactly as you say the '85 Bears. But my main argument is based on the future.. I think Dak and the offense continues to be one of the best in the NFL going forward and if the defense can just get back to where it was in 2019 we have a 12 win team. Then I'll take my chances in the playoffs.. and I'd rather do that than bet it all on a rookie draft pick or some castoff free agent QB.. But that's just me..

Haimerej

Reaction score
But you contradict yourself by saying "He literally had a top 10 defense every year from 2016-2019" then point out that they weren't top 10 in 2017 and 2019.

Um... read the whole thing.

Bolded for your convenience.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Then I'll take my chances in the playoffs.. and I'd rather do that than bet it all on a rookie draft pick or some castoff free agent QB.. But that's just me..

I don't see any success in the near term either way, if I'm being honest. Hopefully I'm wrong.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don't see any success in the near term either way, if I'm being honest. Hopefully I'm wrong.
You and me both. I think the Cowboys should run away with the East if they can just catch a little break health wise. As for the ultimate success no, I don't know see that either.. But I think if Quinn can get us a top 10 defense and we can pair it with a top 5 offense we will be sitting pretty at no worse than a two seed in the conference. But yeah.. we need a good draft, a productive free agency and the big four (Dak, Zack, Tyron and La'el) to come back at least mostly healthy. Yes it's a lot.. but none of it is unattainable. But I'm an optimist anyway.. I openly cop to that.

Last edited: