Mike Fisher Shares some Romo Release Details

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I was just listening to the fan and they were interviewing Mike Fisher. During this interview he seemingly revealed that Jerry and Romo had a conversation about Romos future the Wednesday before or after the Super Bowl(can't remember which he said). At the end of this conversation, Jerry supposedly told Romo he was going to release him. Paraphrasing, Fisher said Jerry told Romo he wasn't going to hold him hostage and was going to do what's right and release him as a June 1st cut.

Take this for what it's worth as I know many here have differing opinions regarding Fish. I just thought I would pass it along and let you decide for yourself.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Well, we will all be able to take some comfort in the fact that Old Man Jerry did right by his boy after Romo wins a Super Bowl with some other team and we continue to fall short because we are missing a starting safety here or a defensive lineman there. I mean, why do everything we can to win when we can let Romo go win one???

Right, Jerry?

You putz.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The final meeting with Jerry and Tony was yesterday. Jerry said Romo put no extra pressure on him to release him immediately. But I'm sure if there were not offers from "acceptable teams" then it was a foregone conclusion...maybe based on that earlier meeting.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well, we will all be able to take some comfort in the fact that Old Man Jerry did right by his boy after Romo wins a Super Bowl with some other team and we continue to fall short because we are missing a starting safety here or a defensive lineman there. I mean, why do everything we can to win when we can let Romo go win one???

Right, Jerry?

You putz.
83+ million cap space over three years is what Romo still carried. I think him being gone will free up way more room longer term than a 4th round draft pick from some trade.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo-2447/

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
80 some million cap space over three years is what Romo still carried. I think him being gone will free up way more room longer term than a 4th round draft pick from some trade.
Yeah I think what we're all missing here is that some mid rounder is not going to alter the trajectory of the franchise. I mean it did happen last year but it's unlikely they hit that lottery two years in a row.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Doesn't he still come off the books if traded?
Yes, Tass. But the 2017 cap savings is 8.9 mil greater with a June 1 waiver.
I was just addressing the mention of all of those needs for starters at safety, dline etc.
The mid rounder in the draft we, by some miracle, may have gotten was not going to address all (or more likely any) of that, and, in fact, the extra 8.9 mil cap space just might go further.

But longer term, him off the roster in any fashion will clean up the cap.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Yes, Tass. But the 2017 cap savings is 8.9 mil greater with a June 1 waiver.
I was just addressing the mention of all of those needs for starters at safety, dline etc.
The mid rounder in the draft we, by some miracle, may have gotten was not going to address all (or more likely any) of that, and, in fact, the extra 8.9 mil cap space just might go further.

But longer term, him off the roster in any fashion will clean up the cap.

I still feel like we are getting screwed.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Can someone please explain how it would have affected the cap space if we would have traded him for a 4th rounder?
We get 8.9 million more cap space in 2017 with a June 1 waiver vs a trade.

Plus and beside the point, there have no mention of any trade offers. Teams may be interested but not without a new, incentive based contract.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Can someone please explain how it would have affected the cap space if we would have traded him for a 4th rounder?

There appears to be some confusion.

A trade would have the exact same effect as a release. The only thing that would change is the possible difference in cap this year and next, which is just accounting and not any real savings

DFWJC

Reaction score
There appears to be some confusion.

A trade would have the exact same effect as a release. The only thing that would change is the possible difference in cap this year and next, which is just accounting and not any real savings
Correct. The 2017 cap would be much better this year with a June 1 waiver, but you'd still have to pay the difference next year.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
You can't get a hit unless you swing.
Absolutely. And I wanted them to turn him into an asset. But the loss is minimal IMO. If he was healthy and could command a good return we wouldn't be in this position. Heck Favre pulled a 4th and he was an ironman. My only point, and I'm talking to myself as much as anyone else, is that a mid round pick is not worth fretting over. Dallas lost their second and fourth picks last year and it didn't really hurt them.