Mike McCarthy a fraud?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
MM gonna get fired midseason if he dont make big changes on D this week. What happens next after the lowly undermanned Giants beat us? Whats the excuse then?

No, Jerry is keenly aware that MM was his pick, to fire MM so soon would, in Jerry's mind, show that he made a horrible choice, and Jerry can't stand the thought that people will think he isn't the "smartest man in football".

Besides, how many coaches were fired in their first year? I'm pretty sure there were some, but can't be many, so by history it is extremely unlikely, though after the first year there have been several fired, wouldn't say MM might not be let go after the season, but going back to JJ's mind, I doubt it...

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
Check back on my posts last year. I was NOT "all in" on MM, if for no other reason than no coach has won SBs with two different teams (though Parcells came close). Of course Andy Reid just won his first SB after years and years of not doing so, not always the young pup that wins it. (Though historically coaches that win SBs mostly do so relatively early in their career and don't later).

MM was never a running game coach, we can see that now even more. Elliot has had 26 carries in the last two games. 26! Paying a guy $15 million a year, let's see, that's about $72,000 a carry.

But what do we hear constantly? "It's a passing league". Really? Dak throws for 502 yards, Mayfield for 165, and who won? Dak is on pace for over 6,700 yards passing, which would obliterate the prior record by 1,000 yards or more. And the Cowboys are 1-3, should have been 0-4 if not for an incredibly stupid handling of the onside kick by Atlanta.

I said a year or more ago that those saying Dak needed to pass more was the way to win, "it's a passing league" was the constant refrain. I said the Cowboys could win running the ball heavily, that maybe the league, that changes, was ready to go back to the running game, and I was told by many "this ain't 1995". But look at some other games yesterday:

Vikings beat the Texans, Cousins 260 yards passing, Watson 300, but 130 yards rushing from Gordon.
Bengals beat the Jags, Minshew 351 yards passing to Burrow's 300, but Cook 130 yards rushing.

Now a couple of games doesn't prove a trend, just saying that abandoning your top-notch, high paid running back isn't winning you games, MAYBE Cowboys could try feeding Zeke?
But again, MM had Aaron Rodgers, who pulled games out of his rear end MANY times, and won only ONE Super Bowl.

So I never did like the hiring of MM that much...
Everything you mentioned is about the offense. I'm sorry. Since when is it a bad thing for an offense to rack up tons of yards and points?

Defense by far and away is the problem with this team. This is the worst Cowboys defense I've seen since Jerry bought the team. If the defense were even semi-respectable this team would probably be 3-1.

Feeding Zeke isn't going to fix the broken secondary and make Jaylon Smith a smarter player.

Rayman70

Reaction score
No, Jerry is keenly aware that MM was his pick, to fire MM so soon would, in Jerry's mind, show that he made a horrible choice, and Jerry can't stand the thought that people will think he isn't the "smartest man in football".

Besides, how many coaches were fired in their first year? I'm pretty sure there were some, but can't be many, so by history it is extremely unlikely...
all true, but how many times do you think he will handle getting blown out by mediocre teams? EVEN JERRY has a tipping point.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
all true, but how many times do you think he will handle getting blown out by mediocre teams? EVEN JERRY has a tipping point.

That's assuming he keeps getting blown out, could happen but I don't think it will...

75boyz

Reaction score
Check back on my posts last year. I was NOT "all in" on MM, if for no other reason than no coach has won SBs with two different teams (though Parcells came close). Of course Andy Reid just won his first SB after years and years of not doing so, not always the young pup that wins it. (Though historically coaches that win SBs mostly do so relatively early in their career and don't later).

MM was never a running game coach, we can see that now even more. Elliot has had 26 carries in the last two games. 26! Paying a guy $15 million a year, let's see, that's about $72,000 a carry.

But what do we hear constantly? "It's a passing league". Really? Dak throws for 502 yards, Mayfield for 165, and who won? Dak is on pace for over 6,700 yards passing, which would obliterate the prior record by 1,000 yards or more. And the Cowboys are 1-3, should have been 0-4 if not for an incredibly stupid handling of the onside kick by Atlanta.

I said a year or more ago that those saying Dak needed to pass more was the way to win, "it's a passing league" was the constant refrain. I said the Cowboys could win running the ball heavily, that maybe the league, that changes, was ready to go back to the running game, and I was told by many "this ain't 1995". But look at some other games yesterday:

Vikings beat the Texans, Cousins 260 yards passing, Watson 300, but 130 yards rushing from Gordon.
Bengals beat the Jags, Minshew 351 yards passing to Burrow's 300, but Cook 130 yards rushing.

Now a couple of games doesn't prove a trend, just saying that abandoning your top-notch, high paid running back isn't winning you games, MAYBE Cowboys could try feeding Zeke?
But again, MM had Aaron Rodgers, who pulled games out of his rear end MANY times, and won only ONE Super Bowl.

So I never did like the hiring of MM that much...

Very nice post.

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
PLAYERS AND COACHES. Heads should be rolling this morning at the star. Instead I am sure the Jones' are slapping them on the arse and telling them its ok..go get em next week. lol...no accountability.
This team needs a guy with an attitude like young Jimmy Johnson soooooo bad.

But Jerry's not going down that road again. Even though it's been proven to bear fruit.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

But Jerry's not going down that road again. Even though it's been proven to bear fruit.

Jimmy's attitude wasn't the reason he left the Cowboys, his getting most of the credit for winning the two SBs was. If by attitude you mean Jimmy's attitude toward Jerry, then I'm with ya...

75boyz

Reaction score

It is absolutely the only thing that will save this team.
As it stands now, this organization is the epitome of mediocrity on the football field.
Just good enough to make the dance every few years.
I think a spiral downward of a few years may be the next stage of Cowboys football.

We'll see.

Just my opinion

Go Cowboys

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Mike Nolan should be shaking things up on defense. That's where this team's problems are the absolute worst. The players on defense don't seem to have a clue what they're supposed to be doing. Aside from that, however, players on both sides of the ball are clearly dispirited. Did McCarthy cede too many of his powers to Jerry and son from the get-go? Something is seriously out of kilter with this entire setup. Changes should be forthcoming. Let's see if and when something recognizable comes about. What we're seeing on defense is even worse than when Rob Ryan took over as our DC. Imagine that.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Everything you mentioned is about the offense. I'm sorry. Since when is it a bad thing for an offense to rack up tons of yards and points?

Defense by far and away is the problem with this team. This is the worst Cowboys defense I've seen since Jerry bought the team. If the defense were even semi-respectable this team would probably be 3-1.

Feeding Zeke isn't going to fix the broken secondary and make Jaylon Smith a smarter player.

Taking time off the clock will certainly help the defense. Browns had the ball 33 minutes, Rams 35 minutes, Seattle over 32.

And fumbling the ball away by Dak and Zeke gave the Browns great field position, if Zeke can even grind out to near mid-field, then a punt will pin the other team deep.

Offense isn't blameless, not by a long shot....

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Is the season over? Because look at our division, it's awful and 1 win is all anyone has.

Dre11

Reaction score
So they are not prepared mentally. Whos responsible for this?

these are grown freaking men, know coach is going to MENTALLY prepare a grown man to do hos damn job this ain't now mental institution, get off the cliches thrown around, these players don't take the game PREPARTION from the practice field of play on game day, that on the player to have his mind right on game day. it's why certain players have their pregame rituals.

75boyz

Reaction score
McCarthy's strength is offense so no I wouldn't say he's a fraud. His issue is he went the nepotism right when it came to choosing his DC.

I was hoping we were past the idea of hiring people for important positions simply because of prior personal relationships, yet here we are doing the same dumb stuff again. If McCarthy based his DC decision purely on resume and hired the most qualified person for the position, Mike Nolan's not in Dallas. And this defense, even with all the missing pieces, looks a hell of a lot better.

Truer words never spoken on the defensive part bro.

As for the offense, I say he rode Aaron's coat tails.

But regardless, I'm not a big fan of the hire.

As always, just my opinion

Go Cowboys

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It is absolutely the only thing that will save this team.
As it stands now, this organization is the epitome of mediocrity on the football field.
Just good enough to make the dance every few years.
I think a spiral downward of a few years may be the next stage of Cowboys football.

We'll see.

Just my opinion

Go Cowboys

Jerry Jones = Cowboys losing.

Simple as that....

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
Taking time off the clock will certainly help the defense. Browns had the ball 33 minutes, Rams 35 minutes, Seattle over 32.

And fumbling the ball away by Dak and Zeke gave the Browns great field position, if Zeke can even grind out to near mid-field, then a punt will pin the other team deep.

Offense isn't blameless, not by a long shot....
Of course the offense isn't blameless but this defense has sunk to embarrassing levels. If I made a top 10 list of what's wrong with this team, the only part of the offense that would be in the top 5 would be the OL. Which has directly impacted our ability to establish any sort of running game.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Too early to go that far but there are very questionable decisions being made. To be fair, I'm not sure even good decisions would have changed the outcome as I'm not seeing the ability and\or effort on the defensive side of the ball.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Getting all he can out of the offense with 32 ppg.

Opponents getting all they can out of his defense with 36.5 ppg.

The highest scoring team in the league also has the most scored on defense and is 1-3. And only .5 game out of first.

Tell me any of y'all have ever seen anything like this before. Since I haven't, I'll give it a little more time to see what develops.